• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What sheet materials are safe?

esupi

Warren Veteran
I want to add a second level to the buns home this weekend. I saw on another thread to use 'untreated' wood, which is fine for batons but what for the actual floor?

MDF? Plywood? Chipboard? Hardboard? I don't know how these things are treated/made so not sure which is best. I will probably cover whatever I use, but they will inevitably get through to the wood sooner or later.

Thanks!

MDF, Chipboard and Hardboard will all be destroyed by your buns and contain glues so aren't really suitable.

Plywood is the best option. As long as you don't leave the edges exposed they won't be able to destroy it. 6mm is the thinest I would use, 9mm is perfect

Yep, I bought chipboard flooring slats from B&Q then read on here about the glue :roll: Promptly had to bin them (as they were cut to size) and went and got some 18mm ply - it is cheaper from your local wood yards than B&Q etc.

I was just going to B&Q because I know they'll cut it for me - I don't have any confidence at all that I could saw a straight line myself. lol.

I've found B&Q to be ever so helpful recently.
They put aside wire mesh cubes so I could make a run and they cut an offcut of plywood to my measurements to make a ramp (even cut me little strips to stick on as grips). The plywood was an offcut so cost VERY little.

Jenson is trying to wreak his ramp though.

I was just going to B&Q because I know they'll cut it for me - I don't have any confidence at all that I could saw a straight line myself. lol.

I got mine from a local yard and they cut it with the machine too to the exact size.

Must admit, B&Q is handier sometimes though.

Back