• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jasmine - UD she is gaining weight!

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Jasmine has lost a lot of weight very fast. She feels like a bag of bones and is down to 1.4kg which means she has lost 40% of her body weight since she last went to the vets.

OH took her in today, and the vet said we should separate her from the others for a week and feed her unlimited amounts. Then if she doesn't gain weight we will do blood tests.

I said to OH there is no way this is happening, I am not separating the group. I said we'll separate for feeding time but we always monitor them at food time because we have been worried about Daphne, and if anything she bullies the other two.

Personally I would just like to get her blood tests now. I am positive she is getting her fair share of food and the vet says she is perfectly healthy in every way, teeth etc, it is just the weight and whatever would show in the bloods.

So what do people think. Should I take his advice and separate the group? Should I wait a week and feed her separately or should I just ask for bloods now?

I know that my vet would do bloods etc, before advising separate.

How rabbit savvy is your vet?

I am very confident in him and he also listens to what we have to say and I know he would do the bloods first if I asked. My gut instinct is telling me to get the bloods done straight away I am sure there is something not right with her

Hey Nic, It sounds like Neil is trying to rule out the obvious, esp with her being in a trio but I don't know exactly what was said so it's my assumption knowing what he's done with Pye. If you are unhappy in any way you know that he would happily talk to you about it and would do the tests if you asked, email him if you don't feel happy on the phone, he'll get back to you first thing. He generally sedates buns for bloods just in case so I imagine he's erring on the side of caution but you know he'll do as you ask mate, just stick it in an email tonight or phone him first thing and put your mind at rest xxx

my miffy did this......and it turned out her bowel was blocked. :?
she never stoped eating al the way through but she was littrally a bag of bones. :cry: the first time i took her to see the vet they said she was fine and no problems. 2 weeks later she was admitted for 2 nights, really poorly. :cry:
i seperated miffy but in the end i wish i hadn't. :( but because there were 3 of them i didnt notice she wasnt pooing. so its a catch 22. :?
i am not much help but she also had bloods done which showed up nothing. :?
can i ask......have you changed your name??? :)

Hey Nic, It sounds like Neil is trying to rule out the obvious, esp with her being in a trio but I don't know exactly what was said so it's my assumption knowing what he's done with Pye. If you are unhappy in any way you know that he would happily talk to you about it and would do the tests if you asked, email him if you don't feel happy on the phone, he'll get back to you first thing. He generally sedates buns for bloods just in case so I imagine he's erring on the side of caution but you know he'll do as you ask mate, just stick it in an email tonight or phone him first thing and put your mind at rest xxx

Yeah I know he would do it. I don't know exactly what was said either and how much Matthew emphasised the fact we watch her :roll: I'll email him now. He said to Matthew that taking bloods isn't easy so I think you're right he's just trying to rule out other things xxx

she never stoped eating al the way through but she was littrally a bag of bones. :cry: the first time i took her to see the vet they said she was fine and no problems. 2 weeks later she was admitted for 2 nights, really poorly. :cry:
i seperated miffy but in the end i wish i hadn't. :( but because there were 3 of them i didnt notice she wasnt pooing. so its a catch 22. :?

I have :wave: thank you for this I'll mention him to him. I'm sorry about Miffy xx

that's a really good point

edit: I'm sorry about Miffy by the way, didn't mean to insensitive there

I dunno! But I'd be reluctant to split them up. I'd chat with the vet - he sounds very nice. Did you get the inco pads for piggies or is your mind on other, more pressing matters at the mo??

I dunno! But I'd be reluctant to split them up. I'd chat with the vet - he sounds very nice. Did you get the inco pads for piggies or is your mind on other, more pressing matters at the mo??

I've emailed him :) at work 9-6 tomorrow so won't have time to ring him.

I've ordered some on Amazon :D and got some fleeces from Primark. One's in the bottom of Lucy and Zero's recovery pen right now though :) don't want to give them to the piggies until the inco pads come

I've emailed him :) at work 9-6 tomorrow so won't have time to ring him.

I've ordered some on Amazon :D and got some fleeces from Primark. One's in the bottom of Lucy and Zero's recovery pen right now though :) don't want to give them to the piggies until the inco pads come

Wise decision!! DEF need the inco pads!!!:mrgreen:

No, no! It's a talent all piggies posess!! Pee and poo, pee and poo, that's what they do!! And long haired piggies get the pee in their fur - Laaaaverly!! :lol:

And they eat lots too :D

We are going to take Jasmine for blood tests as soon as one or both of us gets a day off! Vet says it is very unlikely she has a blocked bowel as he didn't feel a blockage and she is still passing faeces. I asked about it being related to her spay complications and he says this is more likely and would show in the tests.

Sending vibes. Hope she is comfortable in the meantime and that you can get the bloods done soon.

Thank you :wave: I am worried and I have a gut feeling it is because of her spay complications. I could of course be wrong (hopefully I am) but I just want to get her tested asap so we can treat whatever has happened.

Back