PDA

View Full Version : Jasmine - UD she is gaining weight!

Nicola1
28-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Jasmine has lost a lot of weight very fast. She feels like a bag of bones and is down to 1.4kg which means she has lost 40% of her body weight since she last went to the vets.

OH took her in today, and the vet said we should separate her from the others for a week and feed her unlimited amounts. Then if she doesn't gain weight we will do blood tests.

I said to OH there is no way this is happening, I am not separating the group. I said we'll separate for feeding time but we always monitor them at food time because we have been worried about Daphne, and if anything she bullies the other two.

Personally I would just like to get her blood tests now. I am positive she is getting her fair share of food and the vet says she is perfectly healthy in every way, teeth etc, it is just the weight and whatever would show in the bloods.

So what do people think. Should I take his advice and separate the group? Should I wait a week and feed her separately or should I just ask for bloods now?

Carrie14
28-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I know that my vet would do bloods etc, before advising separate.

How rabbit savvy is your vet?

Nicola1
28-10-2010, 07:30 PM
I know that my vet would do bloods etc, before advising separate.

How rabbit savvy is your vet?

I am very confident in him and he also listens to what we have to say and I know he would do the bloods first if I asked. My gut instinct is telling me to get the bloods done straight away I am sure there is something not right with her

Jenefina
28-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Hey Nic, It sounds like Neil is trying to rule out the obvious, esp with her being in a trio but I don't know exactly what was said so it's my assumption knowing what he's done with Pye. If you are unhappy in any way you know that he would happily talk to you about it and would do the tests if you asked, email him if you don't feel happy on the phone, he'll get back to you first thing. He generally sedates buns for bloods just in case so I imagine he's erring on the side of caution but you know he'll do as you ask mate, just stick it in an email tonight or phone him first thing and put your mind at rest xxx

angieb
28-10-2010, 07:35 PM
my miffy did this......and it turned out her bowel was blocked. :?
she never stoped eating al the way through but she was littrally a bag of bones. :cry: the first time i took her to see the vet they said she was fine and no problems. 2 weeks later she was admitted for 2 nights, really poorly. :cry:
i seperated miffy but in the end i wish i hadn't. :( but because there were 3 of them i didnt notice she wasnt pooing. so its a catch 22. :?
i am not much help but she also had bloods done which showed up nothing. :?
can i ask......have you changed your name??? :)

Nicola1
28-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Hey Nic, It sounds like Neil is trying to rule out the obvious, esp with her being in a trio but I don't know exactly what was said so it's my assumption knowing what he's done with Pye. If you are unhappy in any way you know that he would happily talk to you about it and would do the tests if you asked, email him if you don't feel happy on the phone, he'll get back to you first thing. He generally sedates buns for bloods just in case so I imagine he's erring on the side of caution but you know he'll do as you ask mate, just stick it in an email tonight or phone him first thing and put your mind at rest xxx

Yeah I know he would do it. I don't know exactly what was said either and how much Matthew emphasised the fact we watch her :roll: I'll email him now. He said to Matthew that taking bloods isn't easy so I think you're right he's just trying to rule out other things xxx

Nicola1
28-10-2010, 07:36 PM
she never stoped eating al the way through but she was littrally a bag of bones. :cry: the first time i took her to see the vet they said she was fine and no problems. 2 weeks later she was admitted for 2 nights, really poorly. :cry:
i seperated miffy but in the end i wish i hadn't. :( but because there were 3 of them i didnt notice she wasnt pooing. so its a catch 22. :?

I have :wave: thank you for this I'll mention him to him. I'm sorry about Miffy xx

Jenefina
28-10-2010, 07:37 PM

that's a really good point

edit: I'm sorry about Miffy by the way, didn't mean to insensitive there

angieb
28-10-2010, 10:03 PM
that's a really good point

edit: I'm sorry about Miffy by the way, didn't mean to insensitive there

its ok..:)

bensonlola
28-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I dunno! But I'd be reluctant to split them up. I'd chat with the vet - he sounds very nice. Did you get the inco pads for piggies or is your mind on other, more pressing matters at the mo??

Nicola1
28-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I dunno! But I'd be reluctant to split them up. I'd chat with the vet - he sounds very nice. Did you get the inco pads for piggies or is your mind on other, more pressing matters at the mo??

I've emailed him :) at work 9-6 tomorrow so won't have time to ring him.

I've ordered some on Amazon :D and got some fleeces from Primark. One's in the bottom of Lucy and Zero's recovery pen right now though :) don't want to give them to the piggies until the inco pads come

bensonlola
28-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I've emailed him :) at work 9-6 tomorrow so won't have time to ring him.

I've ordered some on Amazon :D and got some fleeces from Primark. One's in the bottom of Lucy and Zero's recovery pen right now though :) don't want to give them to the piggies until the inco pads come

Wise decision!! DEF need the inco pads!!!:mrgreen:

Nicola1
28-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Wise decision!! DEF need the inco pads!!!:mrgreen:

:mrgreen::lol: ahh piggies

bensonlola
28-10-2010, 10:54 PM

Reminds me - must trim hair round Penelope's butt!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

susie bun
28-10-2010, 10:54 PM

Do all pigggies pee everywhere, or are you two just especially blessed? :?

bensonlola
28-10-2010, 11:00 PM
Do all pigggies pee everywhere, or are you two just especially blessed? :?

No, no! It's a talent all piggies posess!! Pee and poo, pee and poo, that's what they do!! And long haired piggies get the pee in their fur - Laaaaverly!! :lol:

Grace65
29-10-2010, 05:59 PM
How is jasmine nicola? xx

Nicola1
29-10-2010, 08:47 PM
No, no! It's a talent all piggies posess!! Pee and poo, pee and poo, that's what they do!! And long haired piggies get the pee in their fur - Laaaaverly!! :lol:

And they eat lots too :D

We are going to take Jasmine for blood tests as soon as one or both of us gets a day off! Vet says it is very unlikely she has a blocked bowel as he didn't feel a blockage and she is still passing faeces. I asked about it being related to her spay complications and he says this is more likely and would show in the tests.

susie bun
29-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Sending vibes. Hope she is comfortable in the meantime and that you can get the bloods done soon.

Nicola1
29-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Sending vibes. Hope she is comfortable in the meantime and that you can get the bloods done soon.

Thank you :wave: I am worried and I have a gut feeling it is because of her spay complications. I could of course be wrong (hopefully I am) but I just want to get her tested asap so we can treat whatever has happened.

angieb
29-10-2010, 09:11 PM
bless her......i didnt realise she was the one with the spey problems.
good luck. :)

bensonlola
29-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Thank you :wave: I am worried and I have a gut feeling it is because of her spay complications. I could of course be wrong (hopefully I am) but I just want to get her tested asap so we can treat whatever has happened.

Will be thinking about her - hope it will be easily sorted :love:

Nicola1
29-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Thank you, I hope so too :) she is still so lively and gobbling up anything I put in front of her

bensonlola
29-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Thank you, I hope so too :) she is still so lively and gobbling up anything I put in front of her

She must be feeling ok then. At least you know she is not suffering - that would be worse.

Nicola1
29-10-2010, 09:32 PM
She must be feeling ok then. At least you know she is not suffering - that would be worse.

Yeah. She is happy and that is the main thing right now

bensonlola
29-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Bless the wee woman. Hope she's ok.

Nicola1
01-11-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm taking her in at 9am tomorrow. Please send lots of vibes for my special girl :cry:

bensonlola
01-11-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm taking her in at 9am tomorrow. Please send lots of vibes for my special girl :cry:

Vibes a plenty!! Be brave wee woman! :love:

susie bun
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Lots of vibes from this direction too! :wave:

Nicola1
01-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Thank you :wave: I'm feeling very worried about it

rabbitapril
01-11-2010, 10:11 PM
It might be worth getting an x-ray done as well. My bunny Uncle has a tumor on his liver that showed on an x-ray but his blood test results were not showing anything serious. Not wanting to worry you but it could be worth getting done while she is sedated.
Good luck for tomorrow

Grace65
01-11-2010, 10:15 PM

Buckets full of vibes and special thoughts for jasmine tommorrow, love from me gracie, charlie and the gang. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Nicola1
01-11-2010, 10:17 PM
It might be worth getting an x-ray done as well. My bunny Uncle has a tumor on his liver that showed on an x-ray but his blood test results were not showing anything serious. Not wanting to worry you but it could be worth getting done while she is sedated.
Good luck for tomorrow

Thank you April :wave: I will mention it to him.

Thanks Julie xxxxxxxxxxx

angieb
02-11-2010, 09:38 AM
good luck. :wave:

susie bun
02-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Been thinking of you and Jasmine. :wave:

Debster
02-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Lots of vibes for Jasmine today, good luck xxx

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Thank you. I dropped her off this morning :cry: he is going to do some bloods and check her teefs, and do an x-ray if he thinks it's necessary so that she only needs to be sedated once.

I saw a rainbow on my way home - hoping that is a good sign and nothing ominous

susie bun
02-11-2010, 10:38 AM
When are you to ring about her/ pick her up? :wave:

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 10:46 AM
When are you to ring about her/ pick her up? :wave:

She will be ready at about 4 but I won't be picking her up until about 5.30

GrahamL
02-11-2010, 10:48 AM
Lots of Vibes Nic.
Hope the vet can get to the bottom of this!

Biscuit & Ginger have their paws crossed for Jasmine!

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Lots of Vibes Nic.
Hope the vet can get to the bottom of this!

Biscuit & Ginger have their paws crossed for Jasmine!

Thank you :)

susie bun
02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
She will be ready at about 4 but I won't be picking her up until about 5.30

I have my evening class to teach tonight, so I won't be able to check for an update until about 10pm. Will be thinkiing of you though. :wave:

Mrs Ord
02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Good luck I hope it all turns out ok for her xx

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 12:33 PM
thank you :wave: no news from the vet and I think he will have done the tests by now so I think the tests/sedation have gone ok.

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 01:13 PM
made the mistake of telling my dad, he said 'there's another bill for you' :cry: how would he like it if I rang him and said 'my rabbit's seriously ill but I'm not going to treat it because I don't want to spend the money'. Oh yey we have a callous uncaring daughter every parent's dream :evil::cry:

He's now started going on about how the rabbits we used to have were fine on grass and muesli 'there's no need to buy veg'. I said 'how long did they live dad?' he reckons 'years and years' but they didn't :cry: and they were in awful states it will make me feel guilty for the rest of my life

susie bun
02-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Don't feel guilty - we didn't know any better in these days. My parents are very fond of Spenser (just as well as we live with them) but they are not rabbit savvy. That's one of the reasons I haven't had Spenser neutered yet. Keep getting the, 'oh no, poor Spenser' response when I mention it. As to vet bills, it's our choice and an inevitable side effect that comes with the joy of having pets. Hurrah for the furries!

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Don't feel guilty - we didn't know any better in these days. My parents are very fond of Spenser (just as well as we live with them) but they are not rabbit savvy. That's one of the reasons I haven't had Spenser neutered yet. Keep getting the, 'oh no, poor Spenser' response when I mention it. As to vet bills, it's our choice and an inevitable side effect that comes with the joy of having pets. Hurrah for the furries!

You're so right. But then my parents didn't want me to get the bunnies. And a lot of people I talk to seem to think when the vet bills come in it's time for me to cast the rabbits aside like broken toys :cry: it does really upset me though that my own parents can't recognise how much happier I have been since getting the rabbits

susie bun
02-11-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm sure my parents would have fits if they knew how much I spent on Spenser and my sponsor bunnies! ;):lol: They do reecognise the difference bunny love has made to me though, so I'm lucky on that one.

Tuckerbunnies
02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Only just seen this thread and all our fingers and paws are crossed here at 'The Warren' for Jasmine and hoping it's nothing serious, also sending you lots of hugs Nicola, Thinking about you all.

Maysie & Mike
xx

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 02:58 PM
thank you so much xx

bunlover
02-11-2010, 03:03 PM
sorry they arent being supportive and thining of you and lots of vibes hope that you find the cause, dora stopped eating as much though still looked like was tucking in when she had pasturella, she was also showing other signs though. thinking of you xxx

Tuckerbunnies
02-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Just come on to see if you have heard anything Nicola .

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 06:37 PM
The x-rays and bloods came back clear :) the only thing the x-ray showed was that she has a lot of food and gas in her stomach. Her teeth are slightly misaligned and had molar spurs so we hope this is the cause of it and would explain why she has so much food and gas in her tum. Taking her back in a week. Thanks for the vibes everyone :wave:

ETA: her white blood cells are low and she was slightly anaemic but we think that's because of the weight loss

Grace65
02-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Continued vibes for jasmine, hope she gains strength and puts weight on now her teeth are better. xxxxxxx

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Continued vibes for jasmine, hope she gains strength and puts weight on now her teeth are better. xxxxxxx

Thank you :wave: I'm hoping that now her teeth are sorted she will get better. Poor little girl xxxxx

Grace65
02-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Thank you :wave: I'm hoping that now her teeth are sorted she will get better. Poor little girl xxxxx

I'm sure she will be nomming and gaining weight now, i'm so thrilled for you what a relief. xxx

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I'm sure she will be nomming and gaining weight now, i'm so thrilled for you what a relief. xxx

Thank you, I'm relieved too xxx

Grace65
02-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Thank you, I'm relieved too xxx

I can imagine, hows lucy-velvet? xxx

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I can imagine, hows lucy-velvet? xxx

She is fine :love: thank you for asking xxxx

Grace65
02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
She is fine :love: thank you for asking xxxx

Excellent. :love: xxx

Tuckerbunnies
02-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Oh I'm so glad they haven't found anything serious must be a great worry off your mind, once she has had her dental she should be back to normal, so glad for you Nicola :wave: xx

Sending Jasmine lots of 'eating' Vibes xx

Shellypops
02-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Phew, tried to post earlier but got clocked by the boss..hope she will continue to do better now honey:wave:

marleyandme
02-11-2010, 09:27 PM
Hopefully she will feel much better now, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
thank you so much xxxxx

bensonlola
02-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Yey!! Good news! (Well better than it could have been, if you know what I mean!!) :D

Nicola1
02-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Yey!! Good news! (Well better than it could have been, if you know what I mean!!) :D

yup :D hopefully she will pile the weight back on now her teeth are ok

susie bun
02-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Even later in than I expected! Hope the dental leads to lots of nomming and a healthier weight for your special girl. :love:

rabbitapril
02-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Glad it was nothing too serious. Hope she is munching and getting fat soon.

Nicola1
03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
thank you. She already looks a little bit bulkier I know this might be because they sometimes hold their stomachs in when in pain and I'm guessing having sharp teeth is quite painful :(

Grace65
03-11-2010, 08:46 PM
thank you. She already looks a little bit bulkier I know this might be because they sometimes hold their stomachs in when in pain and I'm guessing having sharp teeth is quite painful :(

Glad she is improving nicola. xxxx

Nicola1
03-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Glad she is improving nicola. xxxx

Thanks. I think my vet was pretty sure all along that it was dental but he didn't want to say outright because he knows that if he was wrong me and Jen would never let him live it down! Seems silly to have spent nearly 200 on tests if it was only dental but at least it put my mind at rest xxx

susie bun
03-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I'd say putting your mind at rest over Jasmine was well worth it. :love: Bet you'll be looking forward to next payday, though! ;)

Nicola1
03-11-2010, 08:56 PM
I'd say putting your mind at rest over Jasmine was well worth it. :love: Bet you'll be looking forward to next payday, though! ;)

oh yes :lol: I bought myself a charm bracelet and a bunny charm today though felt I deserved it after all the stress!!

susie bun
03-11-2010, 09:02 PM
oh yes :lol: I bought myself a charm bracelet and a bunny charm today though felt I deserved it after all the stress!!

Definitely! :thumb:

Jenefina
03-11-2010, 09:44 PM
he knows that if he was wrong me and Jen would never let him live it down!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

He may have had suspicions mate but with buns it's always best to be safe :) I think because her teeth weren't horrendous he had to make sure there were no underlying problems and lets face it, she's worth every penny, esp with that tache :lol:

Grace65
03-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks. I think my vet was pretty sure all along that it was dental but he didn't want to say outright because he knows that if he was wrong me and Jen would never let him live it down! Seems silly to have spent nearly 200 on tests if it was only dental but at least it put my mind at rest xxx

Thats a lot of money!
Thank god it wasnt anything sinister :D xxxx

Nicola1
03-11-2010, 10:08 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

He may have had suspicions mate but with buns it's always best to be safe :) I think because her teeth weren't horrendous he had to make sure there were no underlying problems and lets face it, she's worth every penny, esp with that tache :lol:

:lol: totally, and just cos it was dental doesn't mean that she might not have had other problems that were causing it as well

Nicola1
04-11-2010, 08:23 PM
:cry: Jasmine's weight is now 1.2kg - she's still losing weight. I'm hoping it's because she was sedated recently and her poor little body is still recovering. I've noticed a change in her eating since her teeth were filed she does seem to eat a bit faster.

Please send vibes for her to gain weight :cry: xxx

susie bun
04-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Sending her weight gain vibes from this direction. :wave: What do you think she should weigh?

rabbitapril
04-11-2010, 08:34 PM
I do hope she eats enough soon to gain weight. What a worry.

Nicola1
04-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Sending her weight gain vibes from this direction. :wave: What do you think she should weigh?

2.4kg xx

thanks for the vibes x

susie bun
04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
2.4kg xx

thanks for the vibes x

That's an awful lot of weight to have lost, poor Jasmine. How is her nomming since she had her dental?

Nicola1
04-11-2010, 09:04 PM
That's an awful lot of weight to have lost, poor Jasmine. How is her nomming since she had her dental?

I know :cry: as you can imagine I'm worried sick. She does seem to be eating more steadily, she used to have little breaks when she ate before, and she is eating a bit faster not a massive amount faster though

Debster
05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
That's a tiny weight, poor Jasmine. Lots of weight gaining vibes for her!xx

Nicola1
07-11-2010, 01:53 PM
I weighed her this morning and she is back up to 1.4kg :) which is still far too tiny but at least she is back up from 1.2kg

susie bun
07-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I weighed her this morning and she is back up to 1.4kg :) which is still far too tiny but at least she is back up from 1.2kg

That's good, hope she keeps gaining. :wave:

Nicola1
08-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Jasmine now weighs 1.6kg :D she still feels horrifically boney, her poor little hip and leg bones are so prominent :cry: I feel like a bad bunny mummy every time I look at her. But the good news is she is gaining

GrahamL
08-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Jasmine now weighs 1.6kg :D she still feels horrifically boney, her poor little hip and leg bones are so prominent :cry: I feel like a bad bunny mummy every time I look at her. But the good news is she is gaining

Excellent news Nic :)

Keep nomming Jasmine!!

Nicola1
08-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Excellent news Nic :)

Keep nomming Jasmine!!

She does like to nom :lol: so hopefully she'll pile it back on and it'll be back to the good old days when I had to restrict her food :D

GrahamL
08-11-2010, 04:53 PM

She does like to nom :lol: so hopefully she'll pile it back on and it'll be back to the good old days when I had to restrict her food :D

That would be a wonderful place to be again eh? :)

Really chuffed for you.

B&G send nomming vibes :)

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab283/GrahamL_Photos/8th/P1020895Small.jpg
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab283/GrahamL_Photos/8th/P1020898Small.jpg

Nicola1
08-11-2010, 04:57 PM
That would be a wonderful place to be again eh? :)

Really chuffed for you.

B&G send nomming vibes :)

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab283/GrahamL_Photos/8th/P1020895Small.jpg
http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab283/GrahamL_Photos/8th/P1020898Small.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: they are just cute to be true :love::love:

Grace65
08-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Well done jasmine, i'm sure she will gather speed. xxx

Nicola1
10-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Been to vets and apparently she has lost weight not gained weight :( her weight is 1.12kg so my scales must be wrong (although this is good news for me I guess as I use my bathroom scales to weigh her!)

:cry: this is absolutely tiny but the vet says that we shouldn't worry just yet, because she will have had to get all that food etc out of her stomach so will have lost weight from that before she can start gaining.

She's going back in two weeks

susie bun
10-11-2010, 06:07 PM
Sorry she's lost a bit of wait, but at least your vet has been reassuring. Did he suggest giving her extra pellets? I'm sure it's not always advisable, but I have heard of poorly rabbits being given extra meals. Is she behaving normally?

Nicola1
10-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Sorry she's lost a bit of wait, but at least your vet has been reassuring. Did he suggest giving her extra pellets? I'm sure it's not always advisable, but I have heard of poorly rabbits being given extra meals. Is she behaving normally?

I am trying to feed her up a bit with extra pellets :wave: she is behaving normally yeah

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 06:20 PM
She's down to 0.8kg :cry::cry::cry: going to vets tomorrow. She feels terrible, I can feel every tiny bone in her body. My hands are just going straight through her ribs :cry::cry: her poos are tiny as well

rabbitapril
12-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Oh dear, is she eating her normal amount?
I hope nothing nothing serious is found tomorrow.

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Oh dear, is she eating her normal amount?
I hope nothing nothing serious is found tomorrow.

We've been feeding her more to try and put some weight on :cry:
Thanks hun

Sky-O
12-11-2010, 06:27 PM
She's down to 0.8kg :cry::cry::cry: going to vets tomorrow. She feels terrible, I can feel every tiny bone in her body. My hands are just going straight through her ribs :cry::cry: her poos are tiny as well

Could this possibly dental related? Maybe the roots? and if she is in pain she may be eating less?

What foods are you feeding her? I've just seen the thread and done my best to skim read it, but my brain is shot to pieces. So sorry if you've already said.

jenzel5
12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
I can't really offer any advice but just wanted to say I hope Jasmine puts on weight soon and is ok!

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Could this possibly dental related? Maybe the roots? and if she is in pain she may be eating less?

What foods are you feeding her? I've just seen the thread and done my best to skim read it, but my brain is shot to pieces. So sorry if you've already said.

That's ok hun - basically we've had a dental, x-rays and bloods done. Her teeth are misaligned so she has spurs which have been filed down.

She gets hay obviously, SS pellets and veg - normally spring greens and a couple of herbs.

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Were the bloods done in-house? If so it might be worth getting a sample sent to the lab for more analysis :?

Sending lots of vibes xx

Sky-O
12-11-2010, 06:34 PM
That's ok hun - basically we've had a dental, x-rays and bloods done. Her teeth are misaligned so she has spurs which have been filed down.

She gets hay obviously, SS pellets and veg - normally spring greens and a couple of herbs.

Ok. So she had a skull x-ray?

For food, I would suggest maybe switching to a junior food (excel do a good junior food) because that has more protein which will help her put on weight.

Then it comes to the things like oats (rolled, not quick or instant or flavoured), and sunflower seeds. And also more naughty things like weetabix, banan, fruits, to boost her up. If her gut will take it. Can she be separated from the group to feed?

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 06:34 PM
I can't really offer any advice but just wanted to say I hope Jasmine puts on weight soon and is ok!

Thank you.

Thanks Liz, they were done in-house. I don't know what else she might need testing for though?

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Thank you.

Thanks Liz, they were done in-house. I don't know what else she might need testing for though?

A lot more will show up in lab tests than the basic liver/kidney etc type tests. Its got to be worth a try as that is serious weight loss :(

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Ok. So she had a skull x-ray?

For food, I would suggest maybe switching to a junior food (excel do a good junior food) because that has more protein which will help her put on weight.

Then it comes to the things like oats (rolled, not quick or instant or flavoured), and sunflower seeds. And also more naughty things like weetabix, banan, fruits, to boost her up. If her gut will take it. Can she be separated from the group to feed?

We are mostly separating her from the group to feed. A junior food is a good idea thanks :wave:

I am sure she had a skull x-ray but I'll check with the vet tomo just to be sure.

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Yes we use junior/dwarf for our weight problem buns :wave:

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 06:38 PM
A lot more will show up in lab tests than the basic liver/kidney etc type tests. Its got to be worth a try as that is serious weight loss :(

Thanks, I'll mention it. I know :cry: poor girl. Ironically she was obese when we got her.

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks, I'll mention it. I know :cry: poor girl. Ironically she was obese when we got her.

I haven't read the whole thread, but just checking she is neutered :?

Georgeypudding
12-11-2010, 06:41 PM
how is her eating? will she just eat and eat and is she a bit off her food? If she will just eat plonk a bowl infront of her and leave her too it until she's done :wave:
Im so sorry and have no practicle advise :( I would probably be asking for some more test's and get them sent away

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 06:41 PM
I haven't read the whole thread, but just checking she is neutered :?

She is neutered yes. She was the one who pulled her intestines out post-spay (don't know if you remember was a little while ago now)

Hugo's There
12-11-2010, 06:43 PM
She is neutered yes. She was the one who pulled her intestines out post-spay (don't know if you remember was a little while ago now)

No sorry, i struggle to keep up with a lot of threads, sorry :oops: Was that recently? did the vet mention whether her uterus looked normal? I am guessing it did or he would have said something about that by now.

susie bun
Oh dear, very sorry she's lost more weight. :( Sending her vibes and thinking of you as I know you're very worried about her. xx

Sky-O

Is it possible she has scar tissue or adhesions inside her from doing that? I know a bunny who struggled like that and as long as she was on Metacam she was fine, although, for her, it was a degenerative illness.

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Sky-O - this is what I suggested that it was complications after this, but it was a few months ago now and he said it was possible, but after the tests he said it's definitely not related to the spay.

Don't worry about it Liz - it must be hard enough keeping up with your own bunnies!Her spay was fine, he would have said if it wasn't normal, he told us about little Lucy's 8-week-old ovaries :shock::lol:

Thanks Susie :wave: I am very worried about her :cry:

donnamt
12-11-2010, 06:50 PM
really hope they figure out whats wrong with her :( loads and loads of vibes xxxxxxxx

Jenefina
12-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Nic, can I just check is this new weight from your bathroom scales? Just wondering after Tuesday....

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Nic, can I just check is this new weight from your bathroom scales? Just wondering after Tuesday....

Yeah it is. I know I think it's cos you know how my bathroom has those slats in the wood? If they are scales aren't lined up right I think then the weight is wrong. But you can feel and see the weight loss

Jenefina
12-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah it is. I know I think it's cos you know how my bathroom has those slats in the wood? If they are scales aren't lined up right I think then the weight is wrong. But you can feel and see the weight loss

Don't doubt you at all hun that you can see and feel a difference, just will be very interested to see what his say. will be keeping my fingers crossed hun but I'm sure between us we can figure it out xxx

Ps are you hiding??

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Don't doubt you at all hun that you can see and feel a difference, just will be very interested to see what his say. will be keeping my fingers crossed hun but I'm sure between us we can figure it out xxx

Ps are you hiding??

Yeah I think we will.

Hiding?? Do you mean invisible mode? xx

Jenefina
12-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah I think we will.

Hiding?? Do you mean invisible mode? xx

Thought you were off line and then I saw your posts!!!

Do you want me to pick up some rolled oats at the shops tomorrow?

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Thought you were off line and then I saw your posts!!!

Do you want me to pick up some rolled oats at the shops tomorrow?

Yeah I've been like this for ages :wave: cos I go on my phone to check sometimes but I can't post on it, so don't want people to think I'm ignoring them.

Thanks hun. Does Neil sell junior nuggets? I've never looked, will have to see tomo

Jenefina
12-11-2010, 07:36 PM
he stocks them in burgess I think, can find somewhere that does an SS one if they do a version if you like, should probs be pm'ing this to you tho sorry :oops:

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
he stocks them in burgess I think, can find somewhere that does an SS one if they do a version if you like, should probs be pm'ing this to you tho sorry :oops:

always derailing my threads I know :roll::lol:

It's ok hun think the burgess ones are meant to be better :)

Debster
12-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Sending vibes for Jasmine, really hope you find what's wrong xxx

BinkyBun
12-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Sending vibes and hope you find out whats wrong asap xx

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Thank you. I really appreciate all the vibes x

bensonlola
12-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Sending xtra strong vibes!! Hummmmmmmmmmmm Huuuuummmmmmmmmmm. Put on some weight little woman, huuuuummmmmmmm! :love:

Nicola1
12-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Sending xtra strong vibes!! Hummmmmmmmmmmm Huuuuummmmmmmmmmm. Put on some weight little woman, huuuuummmmmmmm! :love:

Thank you :love:

Tuckerbunnies
13-11-2010, 12:18 AM
'Come on Jasmine get eating and put some weight on as it will make your Mummy so very happy'

Sending you mega 'nomming' vibes xx

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 09:46 AM
Thanks Maysie xxx

She had injections of steroids, baytril and metacam today and I have some baytril to give her today.

We are treating two possibilities -
A- her gums are slightly inflamed so there is a possible infection there
B - it could be because of her post-spay complications

If the treatment doesn't work then we're looking at the C-word :cry: but will cross that bridge when we come to it.

susie bun
13-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks Maysie xxx

She had injections of steroids, baytril and metacam today and I have some baytril to give her today.

If the treatment doesn't work then we're looking at the C-word :cry: but will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Was wondering about that, but not liking to say. :cry: Keep us posted, and I'm keeping up vibes in the meantime. How is she seeming in herself at the moment?

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 09:53 AM
Was wondering about that, but not liking to say. :cry: Keep us posted, and I'm keeping up vibes in the meantime. How is she seeming in herself at the moment?

Same here but have been trying not to think about it as my mind always leaps to the worst :cry: she is starting to look a bit miserable and she doesn't run over with the other two when I come to the door anymore. However if her weight loss is making her anaemic she probably doesn't feel like flying across the room with those two hyper buns so I'm hoping this is why

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Going to see my mum and dad for a few hours tomorrow so going to take her with me. Parents won't be happy about it but I really don't care. Only bringing her because I only have a 3ft guinea pig cage to bring her back in and don't want to squish the trio into it. But hopefully the time alone surrounded by food will help

susie bun
13-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Hope she enjoys her outing. :wave: Are the other two showing any signs of reacting to her condition and absences when she is at the vet?

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Hope she enjoys her outing. :wave: Are the other two showing any signs of reacting to her condition and absences when she is at the vet?

They seem a bit lost when she isn't around. If she's only away for a few minutes they groom her frantically when she's back, but when she was at the vets all day for her tests they ignored her for a while when she got back.

She and Daphne are very close :love::( As far as I know they've been together all their lives (as no way would that awful petshop have been able to bond 2 unspayed adult does, or any two buns for that matter), and we think they are 3 or 4 now

susie bun
13-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Maybe she had a different smell for a while when she came back from the vets. Bunnies have a more sensitive sense of smell than us. Poor Spenser got very confused one day when my Mum went out to the hutch wearing my jacket.

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Maybe she had a different smell for a while when she came back from the vets. Bunnies have a more sensitive sense of smell than us. Poor Spenser got very confused one day when my Mum went out to the hutch wearing my jacket.

awww :love::love: yeah I think you're right :) the smell of the vets hits me as soon as I walk into the reception (should be used to it by now :roll:) so must be even worse for a sensitive little bunny nose

Debster
13-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks Maysie xxx

Vibes for it being one of these two causes and treatable xxx

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Vibes for it being one of these two causes and treatable xxx

Thank you very much xxx

Jack's-Jane
13-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Did she have a steroid aswell as Metacam :?

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Did she have a steroid aswell as Metacam :?

She did yes :wave:

Jack's-Jane
13-11-2010, 06:26 PM
She did yes :wave:

Did the Vet say why :?
I only ask as my Vet says that they cannot be given together :?

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 06:30 PM

hmm, he didn't say. As I say he's trying to treat an infection or complications after her post-spay trauma. We are clutching at straws now as her bloods, X-rays etc have all come back fine.

My vet is rabbit savvy, I've been to a couple of vets before I found him, but of course I know your vet is exceptional :wave: will send him an email I think and ask about it, thanks for letting me know x

Sky-O
13-11-2010, 06:34 PM

My vet says the same. I'm not allowed to give Badger any Metacam at all because of his steroids.

Nicola, when I asked why (in fact, on this forum) I believe they said the stomach can rupture and I'm sure Marie Kubiak replied to it.

I hope she is ok whatever though :)

Grace65
13-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Wishing Jasmine loads of gaining weight vibes, get well soon little one. xx

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Thank you Sky-O and Julie xxx

Carrie14
13-11-2010, 06:51 PM
My vet said no steroids with Metacam either. It was a bit of a panic as Tulip clearly needed something new for her poorly lungs but we still had to leave 24hrs between and Mark said he would have preferred 48hrs but was worth the risk as she was so poorly :?

Tones of vibes:love:

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 06:53 PM
My vet said no steroids with Metacam either. It was a bit of a panic as Tulip clearly needed something new for her poorly lungs but we still had to leave 24hrs between and Mark said he would have preferred 48hrs but was worth the risk as she was so poorly :?

Tones of vibes:love:

This may be why as she has gotten to to the stage where she is very poorly. She's too poorly now to undergo anymore tests :(

Thanks chick x

Carrie14
13-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I only just realised I posted at the beginning. I am reading backwards through the thread and guess I am utterly lost. What has happened:cry:

ETA how long has she been on both?

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I only just realised I posted at the beginning. I am reading backwards through the thread and guess I am utterly lost. What has happened:cry:

I wish I knew. She just keeps losing and losing. I've had an awful suspicion all along what it is but I didn't/don't want to say in case it curses her :cry::cry:

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 07:01 PM

ETA how long has she been on both?

It's the first time she got steriods today x

Carrie14
13-11-2010, 07:04 PM
I wish I knew. She just keeps losing and losing. I've had an awful suspicion all along what it is but I didn't/don't want to say in case it curses her :cry::cry:

:cry: Grimacing reading this, I really hope not.

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 07:05 PM
:cry: Grimacing reading this, I really hope not.

I'm just keeping everything crossed x

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Jasmine: Auntie Jen bought me some porridge and it is very nice and nommy but it gets in my little moustachio and I have to keep stopping to have a wash :oops::( I has been nomming some baby bunny food and some carrot crunchy biscuits but I is not very keen on banana :?

bensonlola
13-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Still thinking about Jasmine. Poor girl. :cry: Hoping the treatment works.

susie bun
13-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Jasmine: Auntie Jen bought me some porridge and it is very nice and nommy but it gets in my little moustachio and I have to keep stopping to have a wash :oops::( I has been nomming some baby bunny food and some carrot crunchy biscuits but I is not very keen on banana :?

I don't like banana either, Jasmine. They are apparently very good for you so every so often I try to convince myself I like them. Tell Mummy we need a new picture of you so that we can channel our vibes better. I'm afraid I'm not sure which is you and which is Daphne on the siggy. :oops:

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Still thinking about Jasmine. Poor girl. :cry: Hoping the treatment works.

Thank you :wave: I really appreciate it x

Carrie14
13-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Have you tried giving porridge on teaspoon. I know Tulip gets upset by the mess on her fur when she feels particularly bad.

Jenefina
13-11-2010, 08:53 PM

:love: glad you like it lovely Jas, made sure it wasn't the cheap stuff too for such a lady!! Maybe you should try it with some apple instead and make mummy eat the nana!

I bought you some honey too to flavour your oats in case they were a bit icky but not sure if it'll be ok on your tum, ask your mummy for a few different flavours and don't you worry bout your tache, it would look lovely no matter what :love:

Grace65
13-11-2010, 08:56 PM
What about some sunflower seeds added to the porridge they might help her fatten up, come on jasmine keep eating. xxx

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 08:58 PM
What about some sunflower seeds added to the porridge they might help her fatten up, come on jasmine keep eating. xxx

oo sunflower seeds is a good idea, I have lots :lol:

teaspoon is a good idea as well

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 09:15 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f83/billnugget/DSCI0714.jpg

Here I is. Mummeh says sorry for the mess all our hay scraps have broke the hoover :oops:

susie bun
13-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Aww, bless you! What a lovely shade of brown you are, and I LOVE your white stripes. :love::love::love:

Carrie14
13-11-2010, 09:19 PM
She is :love:

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 09:22 PM
thankees x

Grace65
13-11-2010, 09:42 PM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f83/billnugget/DSCI0714.jpg

Here I is. Mummeh says sorry for the mess all our hay scraps have broke the hoover :oops:

Jasmine is so pretty. xxxxxxx

Nicola1
13-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Jasmine is so pretty. xxxxxxx

Nicola1
18-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Back to the vets today... fingers crossed..

susie bun
18-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Sending vibes - will look later for an update. :wave:

Grace65
18-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Back to the vets today... fingers crossed..

Thinking of you and jasmine nicola. xxx

Nicola1
18-11-2010, 06:37 PM
She has gained 300g :D

susie bun
18-11-2010, 06:41 PM

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :D

Nicola1
18-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Debster
18-11-2010, 07:07 PM
That's great news!:D:D:D Fingers crossed she carries on this way x

Elena
18-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Wow, that's quite a bit! Nice going :thumb:

Georgeypudding
18-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Thats Brilliant :d

Nicola1
18-11-2010, 07:55 PM
thanks everyone :wave:

BinkyBun
18-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Yay well done jasmine and you x

yvette
18-11-2010, 08:47 PM
what else did the vet say??:)

Nicola1
18-11-2010, 08:48 PM
her gums look less inflamed so we think this is why she has started gaining weight but obviously he doesn't know if it is just this or if she has had an infection etc because he can't do any more tests. We're going to go back for weekly weigh ins until we're sure that she's ok :wave:

jenzel5
18-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Glad to hear Jasmine is putting on some weight! :)

Grace65
18-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Great news :D :D :D xx

Nicola1
18-11-2010, 09:01 PM
thank you :wave:

rabbitapril
19-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Thats great news about Jasmine weight gain:D

Sky-O
19-11-2010, 09:44 AM
That's brilliant!

You all make such a good team, fighting this together :)

Nicola1
19-11-2010, 10:28 AM
thank you :)

Carrie14
19-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I know exactly how you feel:D

Welldone to you both, long may it continue:)

Nicola1
19-11-2010, 07:13 PM
thank you :D

bensonlola
20-11-2010, 07:03 AM
You're a great bunny mummeh!! Well done you nurse Nicola!! Come on wee Jasmine - stuff yourself some more!!! We all love you! :love:

Nicola1
20-11-2010, 09:54 AM
You're a great bunny mummeh!! Well done you nurse Nicola!! Come on wee Jasmine - stuff yourself some more!!! We all love you! :love:

aww thank you :)