• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Speyed

sarah03

Young Bun
Hi all, i got Flopsy speyed today just got her home. I have removed all sawdust and hay from the hutch and put newspaper, towels and a fleece in instead, she is eating ok hasnt pooed so far but hopefully will. the vet said to take her back on saturday for post op check, what do they do as she didnt explain? is there anything else i should/shouldnt do? xx

Our vet asked us to bring our girl back and he just quickly inspected the incision to ensure there was no sign of infection or mishealing. It was very quick and he just reweighed her and asked us questions about her eating and bathroom habits to ensure she was recovering well.

They just need to check that her wound is healing ok and she is doing ok.

Is she inside? Have you given her a heat source? And also a bunny buffet of her favourite foods? Did you bring home additional pain meds home to give her over the next few days?

shes inside but never used a heat source before so didnt know what to do, she has munched happily through all of her treats but i didnt get extra meds for her, she seems to be her normal self though x

My two had a 36 hour painkiller then went back a few hours before it lapsed so they wernt left in pain :D xxx

No Metacam? They really, really need this after a spay, otherwise they are in a lot of pain. Apart from suffering she will may try to disembowel herself.

With hay I cut it up small and put it in a bowl for them.

Lots of quick recovery vibes:love:

i didnt get any meds, am worried now x

So would I be:( Could you get to an emergency vet for some? How long ago was she spayed? Perhaps you could get some from your vet in the morning? I know mine had Metacam the night they came home.

TBH I would be furious and would change to a rabbit savvy vet ASAP.

Good luck.

well when she handed her to me i just wanted to get home but i dont know wether i was supposed to go to the reception?? as she didnt mention anything i didnt think x

I never got any medicine to bring home either, i bet the vet has given bun a long acting painkiller/antibiotic they usually do. xx

Well done for talking to the vet. I would suggest getting some Metacam (pain relief) tomorrow. To put it a different way, a lady would not have a hysterectomy without folow up pain meds. A rabbit also needs them.

Its good she has been eating.

For a heat source you can give a snugglesafe (if you have one). Another option is to get some uncooked rice and put it in a sock and heat it in the microwave, or warm it in the oven if you don't have a microwave.

After an anaesthetic a bunny can't maintain its body temperature so may need some assistance.

Back