• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit has gum disease....

Nicky87

New Kit
My bunny has just been diagnosed with gum disease, can rabbits live a happy, normal life with this?

Please help

Thanks x

Do you mean Gum disease or dental problems?

I've not heard of gum disease in rabbits, but that's not to say its not something that can occur in them. Can you tell us more about what the vet said?

Yeah the vets said she had gum disease and her roots are a mess causing her eye to water. They ve taken one tooth out and went to take another out but it cracked. They said she might have to take pain killers for rest of her life, she is still a happy rabbit and still runs and jumps about, its just her teeth causing her grief.

Tooth root problems are very common and you might find you get more response if you post about tooth root problems and also dental issues. You might also find a lot of info if you use the search function.

As Sky-O has mentioned there are quite a few of us on here with dental bunnies.

My bunny has elongated roots and has to have his teeth burred regularly to keep them under control.

You will find lots of info on here.

Grim has been on pain killers long term. He has rotten teeth. They've managed to take a couple out, but it's very hard to remove molars. He has a very happy life. He has his pain killers twice a day when he's in pain, sometimes for months at a time. He loves sit because I give him the medicine on bread.

I'm sure your bun will be very happy, although there might be a few vet trips, eventually if they can remove all the teeth then his eyes will clear up and you should be able to stop the pain killers too. :)

Back