• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you use

Grace65

Warren Veteran
Wood pellets as a base for bun's litter trays?
I bought a 10kg bag from tescos, it says natural wood pellets on the bag, i did put some in the tray then chickened out before they used it, is it safe for buns? xxx

I think its generally made and marketed for cats, but I wouldn't be surprised if all the wooden pellets available in the supermarkets as well as the likes of wilkos are all from the same place, except have different packaging. I found it great as it soaked up any smells, wasnt dusty and was nice and cheap.

Helen xx

Oh thank you i will use it then, i decided to throw it before they got the chance to wee on it :lol:
Will it harm if they eat it? xx

might actually go back to the wood pellets, alot less messy & I've found since moving to megazorb some of the buns (espesh the big buns) won't use their litter trays :?

If you look on the tescos website you can see the one i bought in the brown bag, what is worrying me is it says on the bag natural pine fragrance, i thought pine was dangerous to buns? see what i mean? xxx

ahhhhh, hmm, not to sure about the pine, I've only ever had just normal ones

I *think* the issue is that wood can give off phenols when it gets wet, and that can be bad for bunnies respiratory tracts?
That's why its not recommended to use woodshavings - also woodshavings tend to be very dusty too.

I think as long as the litter trays are being emptied regularly (e.g. daily or more often), then it's ok. At least that's what I do anyway.

Tibbsy has issues with her bladder so drinks and wets alot, and we needed something that would be very absorbant.

Does anyone know if wood pellets work out cheaper than Megazorb? They are something I have been looking at and wondering about

I *think* the issue is that wood can give off phenols when it gets wet, and that can be bad for bunnies respiratory tracts?
That's why its not recommended to use woodshavings - also woodshavings tend to be very dusty too.

I think as long as the litter trays are being emptied regularly (e.g. daily or more often), then it's ok. At least that's what I do anyway.

Tibbsy has issues with her bladder so drinks and wets alot, and we needed something that would be very absorbant.

Thats what i mean if pine is not good for buns would the pellets be safe because they say on the bag natural pine?! im fast running out of newspapers so need an alternative, am i ok using these pellets? i always thought pine was a no no to buns in any form? xxx

Back