• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help whats this?

Louise G

Warren Scout
Ive just taken on an unwanted bun of about six months old. She has apparently been kept on her own for about ten weeks since the woman bought her but since bringing her home i found a considerably sized lump/scabby wound which almost looks quite dandruffy. Im not sure if its a bite or something worse. She seems healthy apart from this and full of energy. her nose is slightly moist but clear and only a little, she was housed outside but i have her inside. any help would be much appreciated thanks x

IMG00252-20101027-2217.jpg

I may be completley wrong here but could she have mites and been so itchy she has scratched herself raw? xx

Whereabouts is that on her body?

I would be thinking mites maybe, but if she has had any vaccinations, especially Cylap, I would question if its an injection site reaction (obviously depending where it is).

thanks oh no i hope not. I havent seen any but i will have a really good look tomorrow. im worried her nose is a bit runny not loads but my other bun never has a runny nose. im going to look into disease symptoms now. I will take her to the vets anyway to check her over and book her spay but I wont be able to take her til fri. hope shes ok the poor girl. hasnt had the best start :(

Im not sure if she has had any injections but its on her face. shes a lionlop so it was hidden under her fur but its on her left cheek? thanks

i hope its nothing awful. im worried about her now. ill do her tomorrow for fleas n mites ect. dont want to stress her out too much by messing around with her tonight. does anyone know what the slightly runny nose might be? thanks

i would pop her along to the vets chances are its mites (which cant be seen by the naked eye unlike fleas) but it could be a bite wound or a sign of myxi i would keep her seperate form any other bunnies you have just to be sure and get avet to check it it doesnt look infected or typical of myxi, but its location is unusual for mites usually its back of neck or in ears, unless perhaps she is a lop and its transferred from ears?

i hope its nothing awful. im worried about her now. ill do her tomorrow for fleas n mites ect. dont want to stress her out too much by messing around with her tonight. does anyone know what the slightly runny nose might be? thanks
nose could be snuffles vet treatment of antibiotics would be needed it could also be an allergy again vet acessment likley needed to be sure. x

Hi thanks for all your advice. Yes she is a lion lop and quite fluffy so maybe it has transferred from her ears..unless the girl wasnt telling the truth and its a bite wound. Im really worried about her nose now because alhough she seems fine I was reading up on snuffles and it can just be a clear discharge at first. Problem is she is in an indoor cage next to my other bun so if its anything contagious he will prob catch it too, My mum is going to kill me :shock: I really hope the lil girl is ok. Ill be taking her to the vets tomorrow. Thanks loads

Has she got any of the same crusty lesions on her girlie parts? Also, where the nose is runny, are there any crusty lesions there?

hi, no the only scabby legion i can find is the one on her face. she does scratch her ears n face so im going to flea/mite treat her anyway but her nose is just moist and clear, thanks

Hi thanks for all your advice. Yes she is a lion lop and quite fluffy so maybe it has transferred from her ears..unless the girl wasnt telling the truth and its a bite wound. Im really worried about her nose now because alhough she seems fine I was reading up on snuffles and it can just be a clear discharge at first. Problem is she is in an indoor cage next to my other bun so if its anything contagious he will prob catch it too, My mum is going to kill me :shock: I really hope the lil girl is ok. Ill be taking her to the vets tomorrow. Thanks loads

Its so, so important to quarantine any new addition, especially when you don't really know where its come from.

Could you move her anywhere else? Somewhere away from your other bunny to keep him safe?

your right, I can't believe I didn't think to separate them. I have been to the vets and she said shes, flea mite and worm free (or has no worm symptoms) and she said her nose could be just stress and is not bad but gave me snuffles anti biotics just incase. Shes on baytril oil for ten days. Also took my other bun and hes fine too. The lump is not an abscess but an old bite wound so thankfully it looks ok :D

Back