• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental bunnies

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondering how often some of your bunnies need dentals?

When i took Albie on, i took him understanding he was a dental bunny.
Albie had his last dental at the end of January and so far he has been fine, i get him checked every 3-6months and obviously first sign of dental pain, he goes to Vets, but so far so good :)

guess i have been lucky with him?

An improved diet can help dental bunnies. However, with age 'none' dental bunnies can become prone to dental problems. Charlie had dental problems when I moved back, just cos of the stress and disruption to him.

Feegal managed a year between his last one:)

Fantastic that Albie hasn't needed more regular ones too, must be lots of yummy hay:D

Just wondering how often some of your bunnies need dentals?

When i took Albie on, i took him understanding he was a dental bunny.
Albie had his last dental at the end of January and so far he has been fine, i get him checked every 3-6months and obviously first sign of dental pain, he goes to Vets, but so far so good :)

guess i have been lucky with him?

my casper is a dental bun, i take him for a dental check every 3 months but it seems to be a pattern that it is usally every 6 months he needs his spures removed but rabbits vary :) casper never usally had GA as he is 8 but the last time i had him done he needed to be under GA he came back a different bunny he now eats hay and enjoys it :love: so it may last longer now only time will tell :)

It really varies rabbit to rabbit. My worst rabbit is Wish and she needed them 10 weeks apart.

Angel is three and had one Sept 2009, and not had one since.
Sky is five and had one in March 2010 and not had one since.
Hope needs them about every 11 months.
Dawn is three and had one in July 2010.
The Dopeys need them about every year or so.
Dusk did need them every 1 weeks but hasn't had one since his VHD jab in Feb (he didn't eat much because of the side effects)
Badger has them about every 4 months or so.

Uncle needs a dental every seven weeks:shock::shock: He has done for the last two years:shock:
Expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But he is worth it.
But every bunny is.

I think it varies depending both on the nature of the problem and on how the vet performs the dental. If the spikes are just filed or clipped off, it is likely to recur more quickly than if they are burred down to just above the gumline.

Santa was done about every 6 months. Heather had one dental back in about 2005/6 and hasn't needed anything since.

thats interesting.

i was really amazed with Albie as i thought he would of needed them more regular, but hes had no problems this year, can always tell as he goes off his food and is reluclant (sp) to eat.

i do hope his diet has helped, he does munch on hay, but not as much as the others :?

Lola started having dentals last year, at first she had them every 3 weeks with GA (molar dentals)

She has severe dental disease. She has not had a dental since May now.:shock:

She hasn't needed one though! xx

ETA: She has no lower right molars, this means the top right molars have nothing to grind against so the only grinding occurs on the left, her teeth on the left side are in good shape. The right side however is the problem side, she's had abscesses and ulcerated tongues and cheeks many a time in the past.
It got so bad she had to have vetergesic and a valium based sedative after every GA.:cry:

Last edited:
Hey :wave: I have to take Justin to have his front teeth trimmed every 8 weeks approx, and he has all the hay he wants, but i knew about this problem from the day i got him. In fact were at the vets tomorrow night at 7.30.

Blackie had his first molar dental in June, and had the second one last week.

He does, however, have one tooth that grows almost horizontally, so it will probably be every 4 months or so that he needs a dental, regardless of how much hay he eats.

My rabbit has gum disease...

Hey guys

My bunny has just been diagnosed with gum disease, can rabbits live a happy, normal life with this?

Please help

Thanks x

Hey guys

My bunny has just been diagnosed with gum disease, can rabbits live a happy, normal life with this?

Please help

Thanks x

is there any treatment the vets have given you? rabbits can live a normal life with dental problems with plenty of check ups at the vets, regular dental and the right diet and treatment, they can still be happy aslong as they are pain free i.e regular dental and pain relief

Back