• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

my pregnant bunny

cutebunny123

Young Bun
My rabbit is suspected to be pregnant and i need help!
Does anyone have any tips for a birth in winter?
we know the litter will arrive in winter in 4 weeks we'll see...
Any helpful tips about how to raise a litter in winter?
IT WOULD HELP ALOT
PLEASE HELP!

why is she having a litter?1,its way to cold and 2,theres thousands of unwanted rabbits in rescue.why dont you have her spayed before pregnancy progresses? :)

I think bringing her inside would be a good idea.

Also, if she is only just pregnant, I would be looking at an emergency spay.

How old is she? How big is she compared to dad? Was this a deliberate mating?

A good mum should be able to raise a litter in the winter (well, in the Netherlands it wouldn't matter, guessing the temperatures aren't that different?) though it's far from ideal. She shouldn't be having any babies at all..

Hiya, welcome to RU. :wave:

I take it this is an accidental pregnancy? I would certainly recommend an emergency spay. Is the buck still in with her? If so you need to move him staright away, and book him in for his neuter. He can be rebonded with her 6 weeks after they've had their ops.

If you choose for her to have the kits, I'd really recommend bringing her inside (do it now, rather than waiting til she's had them). Obviously then they'll all need to be house rabbits until the late spring, as the temperature change would be too great otherwise. There's a chance they could survive in an outdoor hutch but, if it's another winter like last year's, not very likely. Tape snugglesafes under the nest area and make sure there's plenty of warm bedding. Cover the hutch in as many blankets/duvets/hutch covers as you can.

How big is the buck compared to her? if he's significantly larger then her kits will be too big to be born naturally, and she'll need a section. As her time nears you'll need to go and check her every couple of hours, more often if she's showing signs of being in labour (yes, during the night too!). If in any doubt, call the vet.

She'll need unlimited good quality hay (she should have this anyway) and start increasing her pellet/veg ration now in readiness.

Hope that helps, any more questions, feel free to ask! :)

Last edited:
Hiya, welcome to RU. :wave:

I take it this is an accidental pregnancy? I would certainly recommend an emergency spay. Is the buck still in with her? If so you need to move him staright away, and book him in for his neuter. He can be rebonded with her 6 weeks after they've had their ops.

If you choose for her to have the kits, I'd really recommend bringing her inside (do it now, rather than waiting til she's had them). Obviously then they'll all need to be house rabbits until the late spring, as the temperature change would be too great otherwise. There's a chance they could survive in an outdoor hutch but, if it's another winter like last year's, not very likely. Tape snugglesafes under the nest area and make sure there's plenty of warm bedding. Cover the hutch in as many blankets/duvets/hutch covers as you can.

How big is the buck compared to her? if he's significantly larger then her kits will be too big to be born naturally, and she'll need a section. As her time nears you'll need to go and check her every couple of hours, more often if she's showing signs of being in labour (yes, during the night too!). If in any doubt, call the vet.

She'll need unlimited good quality hay (she should have this anyway) and start increasing her pellet/veg ration now in readiness.

Hope that helps, any more questions, feel free to ask! :)

a very helpful post i think, only thing i would add is should you go ahead with her preg try and start looking for good homes for teh kits now as good homes are so hard to find, spaying/neutering and vaccination before rehome is obviously preferable but is costly and can be difficult if you dont have room to keep them all consider the home checks you will need to do ensure they have space for a rabbit see if they will consider a pair, ensure they have the funds to neuter and vaccinate the buns in future (the babies wont be ready to leave mum til a min of 8-12 weeks) but its good to start having good homes or an idea of how you will look for good homes now, if its an unplanned preg then an emergancy spay may well be your best option x

Okay!

Hi and thanks for the tips:!:
I am having my male spayed
Cocoa is NOT pregnant as male was not mature
Thanks 4 your tips
Sorry for a waste of your time

You didn't waste our time don't worry.

What makes you say he isn't mature?

Do you intend to get her spayed and him neutered eventually, when they are mature?

Back