• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thread of questions..... sorry.

loobysarmy

Warren Scout
Some of you may have read my "Baby Gates" thread and will know my situation. If not its here http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=251874

I've now encountered a new problem which throws up more questions and worrys.

Bosi has managed to jump my wooden barrier and also managed to open the living room door therfor gaining access to the living room. In doing so she and her sister Miss Molly had yet another fight. From what my Mother in-law said ther was some "fur pulling and circling" but none of the "on the side vicious fighting" like before.

We split them up because they fought and this is now there 3/4 fight.

My questions are as follows and i know you guys can help me out. I'm stressing about this all in my head while telling my partner everything will be fine and it'll work out. I'm worried it wont. I dont want single unhappy bunnies.

O.K hers the questions

1. They are in on friday for their spay. Will i have them healing next to each other but in seperate cages or will i have them healing in 2 seperate locations?

2. Do you think the amount of fighting between them means my chance of bonding them is slim?

Aww sorry to hear that they fought :(

1. Some people do the side by side thing before bonding but I found mine bonded better when kept completely separate right until I introduced them. I guess either can work but as they have fought and will be feeling vulnerable after their spay I would keep them separate in case they fight through the bars.

2. Rabbits do remember a fight so it might be more difficult to bond but there are lots of people on here who have managed it eventually. I will be attempting it soon with two boys who have fought, to bond a group of five!! So never say never.

I know it's so hard but try not to stress about it because they will pick up on it.

We have so much will for these 2 to make up and be together again, but i just keep thinkin the fighting will never stop and i suppose my faith dampens a little.

I had this with Tulip and Tiesto. When I rescued them they were unspayed and were fur pulling and fighting all the time, so I had to separate.

They lived in my daughters room with an adjustable play pen between them. They fought through the bars so I had to put mesh up as well.

They met a couple of times and the last one ended in both of them needing vet treatment, this was un-neutral territory though.

Basically they absolutely hated each other.

Saturday I put them both in a completely neutral cage and started the bonding process. After a day and night of chasing, humping and fur pulling they are now okish together. Bizarrely, they now groom the bald patch were the scares are with what appears to be genuine concern on their faces. Kind of like, "how did you manage to do this to yourself?":lol:

So it is a work in (slow) progress still but is looking good.

I kept them in a small cage after their spays as I deemed the stress of seeing their arch enemy too much for them to deal with as well.

Good luck and I know precisely how you are feeling. Its tough but hopefully we can both succeed:D

Both my buns a free range and i've just bought Bosie a 48" dog crate for her to be in to recover.

Molly has a cage in the living room. Hopefully recovery time and a major cleaning mission by me will aid them in their bonding. I might look into bonding services near me aswell.

Maybe they need to be somewhere completley impartial to realise they love each other.

Back