• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brothers at arms

Andy Waller

Young Bun
Hi there,

I am new to the forum and fairly new to rabbits and could really do with as much assistance as possible if anyone could help????

We have two male mini lop brothers that are 6 months old. They were neutered at 3 months Pancakes and Smudge.

When we got Pancakes he wasnt too good with Gastroentiritis, we got him to the vets and syringe fed him for four days. He picked up and seems to be fairly ok now although is the slightly smaller rabbit and occasionally has bouts of a slightly dodgy stomach.

The problem we have is that they started to fight at two months of age, we split their original hutch in two using a mesh screen so they could still see and smell each other. The run is co-joining and is also split.

We allow them to go out in the garden together and this is when the problems start.

They scent everything they can. In particular Smudge, he is the slightly bigger of the two. They then start sniffing around each other both low to the ground. This usually ends up with Smudge chasing Pancakes resulting in the garden being covered in fur. It certainly keeps myself fit chasing after them to split them. The only way is to physically pull them apart.

Temperaments wise Pancakes doesnt mind being picked up or touched but can be a bit of a mission to get back in his run.

Smudge will not be touched or picked up; easy to get in his hutch (just shake his food bowl). If he is picked up he will then nip your lap resulting in holes in my trousers. Expensive.

They will both eat from my hand. Pancakes can be stroked whilst doing this, Smudge runs a mile.

Their accomodation so far is a hutch with co-joing run for during the day measuring 5ft x 7ft. They are seperated from each other by a mesh partition but can still see and smell each other. The nightime they have the monster of all hutches which are seperate giving them their own sleeping area and living zone so to speak. This measures 8ft x 4ft.

We have tried taking them out in the car for journeys together and they have been fine for a couple of days. They then try to kill each other. Once back from the car ride we have started them in an area they have never been in before to get accustomed to each other.

Once this is done normally Smudge will reluctently clean Pancakes for a couple of seconds then they both decide they want murder on their hands.

We would love for the two of them to live together for company etc which is the main reason we were persuaded to get two rabbits having never had them before. At the moment they really are hard work as I end up having to follow them both around the garden in case they fight. Much to my neighbours amusement...

If anyone can help we would be most appreciated. We are at our witts end! Apologies for my long winded explanation also!!!

Cheers,

P.S they generally get an hour to an hour and a half bounce around time each evening where they generally try and out compete each other in the craziest bounce competition!!!

Rabbits can remember fights so this might be why. I would try and rebond on completely neutral territory, somewhere neither bun has been before. Put them there together for 48 hours and watch them like a hawk. They might hump, nip and fur pull but only separate if they have a full-on fight.

After the initial 48 hours, expand their space slowly. The car ride is a good idea as well :wave:

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for the advice. We havent left them together over the 48 hour period before ar we are concerned that when we are alseep there could be a fatality.

Do you think we would need to stay up around the clock to keep watch?

Cheers,

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for the advice. We havent left them together over the 48 hour period before ar we are concerned that when we are alseep there could be a fatality.

Do you think we would need to stay up around the clock to keep watch?

Cheers,

That is sensible :wave: stay within earshot and to be honest you probably won't get much sleep! But a fight would wake you up.

The 48 hours is important as after the first 12-24 hours they start re-establishing dominance. And expanding their space slowly, if they get too much space too fast after a new bond they will start to fight over it. The pen I used for my bonds is 3ft x 3ft and some people use smaller :)

I will give it a try! thank you for your suggestions.

Out of interest is it likely that once bonded they could have a fight and literally kill one or other? I am worried that this may happen when we are out at work.

Thanks again!

I will give it a try! thank you for your suggestions.

Out of interest is it likely that once bonded they could have a fight and literally kill one or other? I am worried that this may happen when we are out at work.

Thanks again!

You're welcome :) good luck and hope it goes well!

The only time that this would really happen is in unneutered bunnies, especially younger ones, if they got a sudden rush of hormones

Back