• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First time bun owner!

Indy

Warren Scout
:D

Last night i brought home a 12 week old black otter netherland dwarf buck who we promptly named Indy - purely for his indiana jones style of exploring ;)

73975_444015241363_610441363_5786275_7676098_n.jpg

The breeder has said his ears are a bit too long ;) But he's got a nice little temperament and was quite happy to be held for about 20 minutes last night while we merrily chatted away! Got home, popped him in his new hutch with some food and left him for the night.

Obviously he's my first rabbit so I'm always up for advice ;)

x

:D

Last night i brought home a 12 week old black otter netherland dwarf buck who we promptly named Indy - purely for his indiana jones style of exploring ;)

73975_444015241363_610441363_5786275_7676098_n.jpg

The breeder has said his ears are a bit too long ;) But he's got a nice little temperament and was quite happy to be held for about 20 minutes last night while we merrily chatted away! Got home, popped him in his new hutch with some food and left him for the night.

Obviously he's my first rabbit so I'm always up for advice ;)

x

Ok - best advice for the meantime..... once he's had a few days to settle in....

1. Get him neutered
2. Get him a lady bun for snuggles and groomings!
3. Give him loads and loads of room - the biggest run you can add to the hutch. He'll want to exercise those strong back legs for quite a few hours a day!
4 As much hay as he can eat!!
5 Vaccinate him for Mixi and VHD
6 If he goes off his food or looks poorly - see a vet, like pronto!!

Ok - best advice for the meantime..... once he's had a few days to settle in....

1. Get him neutered
2. Get him a lady bun for snuggles and groomings!
3. Give him loads and loads of room - the biggest run you can add to the hutch. He'll want to exercise those strong back legs for quite a few hours a day!
4 As much hay as he can eat!!
5 Vaccinate him for Mixi and VHD
6 If he goes off his food or looks poorly - see a vet, like pronto!!

As above!

Nethies are fantastic (I'm biased, I have 4 :lol:) and they need a lot of space.

And in between doing all the right things, make sure you enjoy being a bunny owner. They are VERY rewarding. :wave:

As above!

Nethies are fantastic (I'm biased, I have 4 :lol:) and they need a lot of space.

... and if you get a message from any of her buns saying that all nethies should have as many fenugreek crunchies as they can stuff in their gubs - don't listen to them. They tell lies do Blackberry's buns!!! :shock:

Thanks guys :)

Im trying to get hold of a 6x6ft run at the moment :) He has a double hutch to himself at the moment (54".... biggest i could get hold of at short notice!)

Had a sweep out on the decking earlier and he was merrily watching in the bottom of his hutch... Ive literally just stuck my hand in to give him a good sniff and he's been nudging my hand with his nose... good sign or no?! He seems pretty friendly, im very lucky!

... and if you get a message from any of her buns saying that all nethies should have as many fenugreek crunchies as they can stuff in their gubs - don't listen to them. They tell lies do Blackberry's buns!!! :shock:

Ah, yes....they will try to tell you that they're permanently starving :lol:

Some nethies have delicate tummies (1 does out of my 4) and they are more prone to tooth problems, so do a little research into these areas just in case :)

And insurance is a good idea :)

Thanks guys :)

Im trying to get hold of a 6x6ft run at the moment :) He has a double hutch to himself at the moment (54".... biggest i could get hold of at short notice!)

Had a sweep out on the decking earlier and he was merrily watching in the bottom of his hutch... Ive literally just stuck my hand in to give him a good sniff and he's been nudging my hand with his nose... good sign or no?! He seems pretty friendly, im very lucky!

He sounds like he's going to be a cheeky one :lol:

Good luck for when you try to clean his hutch with a dust pan and brush - I bet he'll try to pinch them out of your hands :lol:

Yep! Nudging is good - he sounds like a curious little guy!

Bunnies are amazing if you let them reach their full potential - ie spending loads of time, keeping them occupied, giving them space to play etc..

You'll get great advice on here from some really experienced bunny owners and you might want to check out RWA ( http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/) Brill advice and you can sign up for Rabbiting On mag!!

Welcome to the forum by the way!! :wave: And cuddles for little Indie - looking forward to the photographs!!

Ah, yes....they will try to tell you that they're permanently starving :lol:

Some nethies have delicate tummies (1 does out of my 4) and they are more prone to tooth problems, so do a little research into these areas just in case :)

Ive put three types of hay in with him so far and hes really not fussed about any :lol: Im hoping he'll chow down once he's settled. Ive had some from the breeder, some from the horses stash and a wedge of some shop bought Bio Organic (?!) hay... He prefers his pellets ;)

Ive put three types of hay in with him so far and hes really not fussed about any :lol: Im hoping he'll chow down once he's settled. Ive had some from the breeder, some from the horses stash and a wedge of some shop bought Bio Organic (?!) hay... He prefers his pellets ;)

As he gets older you can decrease his pellets to about a good eggcup full or two at the most per day - that will encourage him to eat more hay, which is better for him, his digestion and his teefys!!

As he gets older you can decrease his pellets to about a good eggcup full or two at the most per day - that will encourage him to eat more hay, which is better for him, his digestion and his teefys!!

Awesome :) Thankyou! Judging by the Excel packet, he's on 30g a day split into two... With as much hay as he can stuff in his little face :lol:

Back