• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soft mats for sore feet/ hocks

weeble

I remember reading in the past that people have used some kind of matting for buns with sore hocks. I would be grateful for any links of where you got them from please as Albert is going through another sore feets phase :(

Any rubber matting like the horse stuff or kids play mats is good. The nails sink into the mat which encourages the rabbit to stand more upright hence putting less pressure on the hock. As a side note keep the nails as short as possible too.

Thick soft straw also helps as it encourages the same stance. I am hoping to matt out the outhouse soon for the buns as Kylo's feet are bad again too. I have a few friends who work at schools so going to see if they have any unwanted gym mats. Otherwise i'll get some horse stable matting.

I used a kids foam playmat for Charlies feet. Think it was £10 from asda and covered his 6x2 pen

I was looking at stable mats but for Albert and Evies shed I would probably need 2 and I was quite shocked at how expensive they are. Where did people get theirs from?

Bo suffers :(

he has the foam play mats, i got mine from ASDA in summer, they have them in the run :wave:

Oscar started with sore hocks (baldness) no bleeding, I have just kitted the kennel with interlocking foam mats (fits like a jisaw), it's heavy duty, quite thick but easy to cut and fit, I got mine about 2wk ago from BnQ £12.98 for 4 large squares, covered area of 4ftx4ft bit more than that...in a dark grey.
I wipe them over too with a damp cloth when needed.

Foam camping mats would do as well - you can get them for a couple of pound online. I have carpet pads with thick fleece on top as madam chews everything else :)roll:) and hay isn't doable indoors.

Oscar started with sore hocks (baldness) no bleeding, I have just kitted the kennel with interlocking foam mats (fits like a jisaw), it's heavy duty, quite thick but easy to cut and fit, I got mine about 2wk ago from BnQ £12.98 for 4 large squares, covered area of 4ftx4ft bit more than that...in a dark grey.
I wipe them over too with a damp cloth when needed.

We have these. Got them from CPC online pack of 6 - quite cheap.

:wave: I put down the jigsaw mats (soft way up) in the shed. I got mine from Costco/B&Q/Decathlon.

I tried them with the gym mats, but they thought that purple was a pretty colour and would be nice to eat.

The stable mats are quite hard as I believe they are made out of old tyres as I did look into them.

Yes stable mats would be a bit hard - they are also very expensive even second hand. I will have a look at b and q

Back