• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay and straw...

abi2047

Mama Doe
Just been in town and every shop I went in has ran out of hay and straw. Looks like I will either be going down the hardware store to get some but it is quite pricey down there :(

i paid £4.50 for a bale from the farm shop and mine lasts months! and it smells so nice i want to eat it myself. I don't buy it from shops anymore if i can help it. Farm stuff is better value for money :)

i paid £4.50 for a bale from the farm shop and mine lasts months! and it smells so nice i want to eat it myself. I don't buy it from shops anymore if i can help it. Farm stuff is better value for money :)

Seriously. Don't. :lol:

(although have you tried baking your sunday lamb roast in hay?)

I either buy my hay from wilkinsons or QD. I will try our local farm shop which will probably be alot cheaper :D xx

I like buying different types, I get a bale of lush green hay £4 lasts months from local feed store, then I bought a 5kg bale for litter trays, barn hay £2.50, and I noticed Tesco had some lush bags of very green hay £1.99 (but I didn't get that), then I got 3 bags of Burns green oat hay, just to add a bit of variety :roll::lol:

Have you tried Range? they sell hay and straw quite large pkts if I remember rightly. £3.99 each

I like buying different types, I get a bale of lush green hay £4 lasts months from local feed store, then I bought a 5kg bale for litter trays, barn hay £2.50, and I noticed Tesco had some lush bags of very green hay £1.99 (but I didn't get that), then I got 3 bags of Burns green oat hay, just to add a bit of variety :roll::lol:

Have you tried Range? they sell hay and straw quite large pkts if I remember rightly. £3.99 each

No I havn't I will pop down there tomorrow because I will be down that way anyways :D

They always have it in stock in my local store, other than that tesco, asda, morrisons and Sainsbury sell hay cheap. :D

ETA If you can find a store or somewhere that sells bales that woud be your best bet, if you can store it, they're very large bales! Usually a standard size ish, but would def save you money, or if you haven't the space and you know anyone else that uses hay you could halve the bale between you and share the cost, still leaves you with ample :D

Last edited:
Given where you live I would suggest checking out Barnard Brothers. Seapets also sell some nice hay sometimes.

How far out of Ipswich are you able to travel? There are loads of places out towards bury st edmunds that do bales of lovely hay and straw. Pakenham mill is easy to get to just off the A143, probably about 30 mins from the asda turn off at ipswich. We've used theirs for our horses after we ran out last year, lovely stuff and good quality, nothing bad in it at all. Prices there are very reasonable too, especially this time of year.

Back