• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Sould I do About Eddie ?

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
For some reason my thread about Lizzie has been moved. I am posting this in RC in the hope it may remain here.

I very much doubt that Lizzie will be coming home today :cry:
I cannot take Eddie in to the surgery with her as he is not fit to travel.
But should I bring Lizzie home for Eddie to say 'good-bye' if, as is VERY likely, Lizzie is PTS ? Baring in mind that Lizzie would obviously smell 'strange' and Eddie is nearly blind. He can only really identify her by smell

Please help

:cry:

Oh Jane, what a predicament :(

I am no expert, but would say she would surely have some of her smell and seen as he is nearly blind then maybe his sense of smell is good enough to know it is her??
But would you be able to cope with bringing her home?

I really hope that it doent come to this. x

I am sorry to hear this Jane :(

Personally, I would bring her home. Even though she'll smell strange I think she'll still have the smell of herself underneath, as they are partners they'll know each other better than most. For all we know they may have other ways of communicating with each other that us humans can't detect.

Sending lots and lots of vibes for Lizzie X

I'm so sorry Jane. I really wouldnt/couldnt advise but you always do your very best for your bunnies - whatever you do will be the right decision because you always have their interests at heart. xxx

My gut feeling is to bring her home so they can spend some time together.
There is the risk that he doesn't recognise her as she smell is too different but I think you need to take that risk if they are to say their goodbyes.
Thinking of you. x

What if she has had a PM ?

I've never had a PM done on a rabbit so don't know the specifics but I assume everything is sewn up nicely? Sorry if I sound insensitive but I don't know how else to put it. I'd still bring her home, I don't think it makes a massive difference, he'll still be able to say his goodbyes.

Worst case you bring her home and he doesnt know it is her, best outcome is that he knows it is her and has goodbye time.

So to me bringing her home is still better than not, as it is giving the chance for a goodbye instead of it definately not happening.

That's just my thoughts, you obviously know your babies better so might think differently x

Sorry you are going through this Jane. Its so hard to know what is for the best.
Personally, if I lose a rabbit at the vet I never leave it with its companion afterwards.
I hope if it does come to PTS for Lizzie, she has a peaceful passing.

i think i would bring her home, if i didnt i would forever torture myself on the what ifs.

hope you dont lose her today xxxxx

I would bring her home, if the worst comes to the worst, but when you take her have you got a blanket or towel that smells of her that you can wrap around her on the way home to make sure she smells of herself?

Hugs xxx

I'm so sorry, have no experience to give advice, but just wanted to send my special thoughts to you, Lizzie and Eddie. xx

For some reason my thread about Lizzie has been moved. I am posting this in RC in the hope it may remain here.

I very much doubt that Lizzie will be coming home today :cry:
I cannot take Eddie in to the surgery with her as he is not fit to travel.
But should I bring Lizzie home for Eddie to say 'good-bye' if, as is VERY likely, Lizzie is PTS ? Baring in mind that Lizzie would obviously smell 'strange' and Eddie is nearly blind. He can only really identify her by smell

Please help

:cry:

im soo sorry jane :cry: if it where me id also bring lizzie home, and let eddie say his goodbyes, bunnies are clevier then us humans i think, he will know she has passed, although he cannot see he will be able to smell her and i think they just seem to know, when i brought rosie home, locks knew before i even put her in front of him, he licked her and then came and sat by me

hugs to you and lizzie and eddie

I'd bring her home too I think. It's a difficult one indeed. Atleast you can both say goodbye or try to in your own time in your own home, it might give you and Eddie both some closure. So sorry :cry:

I'm with everyone else, I would also bring Lizzie home. When I lost a piggy at the vets I brought him home so his brother could say his goodbyes, he couldn't travel either, he didn't seem to mind the fact that Herbie smelt "different" and I definitely think it helped him with the grieving process.

What a tough day you have ahead of you Jane, thinking of you.

Worst case you bring her home and he doesnt know it is her, best outcome is that he knows it is her and has goodbye time.

So to me bringing her home is still better than not, as it is giving the chance for a goodbye instead of it definately not happening.

That's just my thoughts, you obviously know your babies better so might think differently x

This. At least that way if he doesn't get it, you'll know you tried. My mum didn't show our cat, Dinah, to our other cat, Poppy, who is partially blind, and Poppy spent weeks searching for her, it was heartbreaking.

Back