• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Gates.

loobysarmy

Warren Scout
Are baby gates suitable for use with rabbits?
Such as the following links

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...ogId=1500002451&langId=-1&searchTerms=3987553

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3763478/Trail/searchtext>BABY+GATE.htm

My problem is that i have 2 buns seperated ( 1 in the living room and kitchen and the other in our bedroom and hall).

Now from the living room to the hall i've made a 2 part hinged wooden door. Only thing is Little Bosie has figured out how to open the hinged door with her teeth. Smart little bunnie she is.

I'm just wondering if a baby gate would solve the problem.

To add more to the matter, they are both in on friday to get spayed and i do plan to bond them. If the bonding doesnt work will the babygate then be pointless because they'll see each other every day and stress about it.

I had maybe planned on making another wooden door with perhaps a small latch on it. Maybe made out of cladding as an alternative.

Any advice appreciated.

I've found my baby gate to be an excellent help (mine is like the second one, with a door). However, a lot of my bunnies can just about squidge through the gaps (or get half through), so I have had to cover it to make sure they can't. My bunnies can also jump it if they REALLY want, although that has only happened once.

I think I've seen ones for dogs which are taller, and therefore safer if your rabbit is a jumper.

It shouldn't be a problem if they don't bond, you'll just need to make sure they can't get to each other. Plenty of bunnies don't bond face to face, but can be tolerant through mesh, for example, because they understand the boundaries of their territory, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

We have a pet gate the bars are closer and its higher get yourself on ebay! I got mine for a tenner and argos wanted nearly £50 I think ;)

We have two. One at the top of the stairs (cos Mischa can't manage the stairs and falls and Mini shoots down them like a steam train and it's not bunny-proofed down there) and one to the lionheads room. We've had to mesh both of them with panels. One gate has mesh panels from a storage cube pack and one has panels that are designed to build a run for a hamster.

We put up the one to the lionheads' room and Nutmeg went straight through it, it was quite funny at the time. :lol:

Thanks for the replies folks. I had a wee look on ebay for pet gates but they were about 25 squids plus delivery.

I think i'm gonna measure up the door frame and see what gate suits me best. I definately need one with a door as i have 5 kids running back and forth.

I use the second baby gate, Lindham. They are great for keeping buns apart and out of places. One of my buns can poke her head through the bars to check out whats happening but the others can only stick their noses through.

I have both of them gates fitted in my house, and Lewis can squeeze through both of them! We fitted mesh on them last week but he's now started to climb them instead :shock:

Well Bosie (brainy as hell) has so far mastered opening a gate with her teeth and also jumping the gate and knocking the livingroom door open. If she wasnt so damn cute i'd fit her buttocks.....:lol::lol:

We've got one from argos... had to adapt it to stop the girls from squeezing out.

f5336e0376d76ce9609e987fe2662497.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back