• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you let your bunnies free range in the rain?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I dont let mine out when its raining or the grass is very wet as I worry about them getting too cold- however Strawberry would go out no matter what the weather if I let him.

Do other people let their bunnies free range on the garden when the weather is bad?

Yes but they have the option of hiding or going into the shed. I wouldnt do it if they were indoor buns though

I have done in the past but they seemed unhappy and didn't quite know what was bothering them! So they carried on gallivanting around but just looked miserable! Maybe mine are just a bit thicker than everyone else's and didn't get that rain=wet!

Mine are outdoor buns, they don't play out in the rain, but provided it's not raining they can play out even if the floor is damp, just their feets get wet and then towel dry them before they go back in their kennel.
I worry that they'll get cold/ill particularly now it's colder.

depends on the kind of rain:wave:
if its drizzling and they're already out I leave them to it.
I wont put them out whilst its raining as they stamp at me and refuse to be picked up :roll:
If they are out and it chucks it down I go out and get them :)

Yes if they really want to but not in a heavy downpour.

I hold the backdoor open and they can make their own minds up if they want to go out and play in the rain and wet.... generally the answer is a resounding no and they disappear back upstairs to lie on their rug under the tv! :roll::D

mine have the option of being in or out it seems generally that they go in though occasionally my not so bright lop arhtur doesnt get its raining if dora forgets to tell him to go in to and he sits there getting soggy loking miserable so i then have to go pick him up and towel dry him sercretly i think he does it to get toweled and wrapped up and snuggled in the house !!!! maybe he isnt as daft as i think!!!

No because I supervise them free-ranging, and I don't usually fancy standing out in the rain myself :lol:

They sit out in the rain in their run though. Half of it is covered and half uncovered, they usually sit out in the uncovered bit :roll:

My buns seem to like the rain. They will happily sit in it for a while, but as others have said, it worries me a bit when it's getting this cold. Fortunately my mum works from home so if it's bad she puts them back in their hutch.

Well my buns live outside and they have just chosen to sit in the rain. :roll: Just been to look at them and they are filthy! They are drying off in the shed now :lol:

Excactly what Riley done. He has only just gone into the hutch about 5 minutes ago to dry off. He has the hutch open all day so he can choose to go in or out and he has lots of places for shelter, chairs, outdoor table etc.

I open the patio door and let them choose - chances are they will look at me as if to say "are you stupid, would we WANT to go out in that"

Yes. I have very secure back yard and they are out all the time when someone is home, rain or whatever. That doesn't mean they go out in it. Grim hates getting his paws wet. :lol:

I give mine the option, unless it's particularly heavy, but they don't tend to bother in the rain! They will tolerate light rain, but anything more and they take themselves back to their hutch.

Xxx

They can go out in the rain if they like. I leave the door open and its up to them what they do :lol: If it was totally lashing down i wouldn't though especially if it was cold.

Molly will go out in any weather, she isnt bothered.

Brian really hates getting wet, he takes one look outside and retreats back to his bed.

Back