• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who uses carpet samples outdoors?

Would just like to know who uses carpet samples in outdoor hutches. This wet weather is causing problems.

The floor has a sheet of plastic sunken into it, but when the rain comes down the rabbits end up swimming.
Ive been using newspaper, but that goes soggy and mushy. What about carpet? This will absorb the water better, right?

I cant afford a hutch hugger :( so on a night they have a rain sheet, a slice of hay and a snuggle safe will be going in when it gets a little colder. I cant leave the sheet down during the day or they are in darkness all of the time.

I can't tell which part is getting wet...is it the hutch or the run? If it's the hutch, I'd say it's not really normal for the hutch floor to get this wet, and I'd probably invest in a new hutch or at least a new tarpaulin/waterproof cover. Tarps aren't expensive (only a couple of £ from Wilkos)

I agree with Amy- the hutch should be completely water-tight. If it isnt then a strong tarpaulin should fix it.

I use carpet samples in my wendyhouses to keep them a little more snuggly. I have a hutch in one of the wendyhouses that has carpet tiles on the roof and pinned to the walls to make a snuggle place for Snowdrop to use.

i use carpet but if it gets wet it could freeze and that will be cold for bunnies. Same with anything thats gets wet really..so like suggested you need to make it water tight.

Its the under run that gets the most wet.

The top get a little damp by the door but only in severe rain.

Im planning on getting a new set up sorted after christmas, theres nothing really wrong with the one i have now, i just want it to be as big as possible.

ETA: I was planning on getting about 6 so i could change them if they freeze or get too soggy.

Last edited:
I think you would be forever changing them.
How is the water getting in? Is it from the sides of the run? Could you put some kind of tarp over the sides of the run.

Or even have some raised area, like carpet on pallets or something like that?

I think you would be forever changing them.
How is the water getting in? Is it from the sides of the run? Could you put some kind of tarp over the sides of the run.

Or even have some raised area, like carpet on pallets or something like that?

Im forever changing the newspaper anyway, at least carpet is quick and easy and doesnt break up! :lol: :roll:

I dont know what to do really, its probably the sides of the run that are doing it, that and the position of the hutch, but the only other place is by the bins :? so its either soggy bedding or more chance of flystrike :(

I would peg some tarpaulin down the sides of the run and over the top when it looks like rain & at night. I use this system on my two runs and it seems to work well :D

ETA: do you have bedding in the downstairs area of the hutch? If so you could consider having it just in the upstairs? I use sample mats in the upstairs areas of my hutches and then have litter bowls with hay in sat on top.

Ive decided its a bad idea, and that maybe having some bedding in the downstairs part might help absorb some of the water.

Dad also brought home one of those portable argos greenhouse covers, weve had to make some adaptions, but it looks pretty tidy. Hopefully, that solves my soggy setup problem!

Would just like to know who uses carpet samples in outdoor hutches. This wet weather is causing problems.

The floor has a sheet of plastic sunken into it, but when the rain comes down the rabbits end up swimming.
Ive been using newspaper, but that goes soggy and mushy. What about carpet? This will absorb the water better, right?

I cant afford a hutch hugger :( so on a night they have a rain sheet, a slice of hay and a snuggle safe will be going in when it gets a little colder. I cant leave the sheet down during the day or they are in darkness all of the time.

If you use clear tarp they wouldn't be in darkness?

Alternatively, you could get some hard clear plastic panels, cut to size and screw them to the sides of the hutch - stay dry and see out :thumb:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Clear-PVCu-Corrugated-Sheet/invt/240150

Back