• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nodular myxomatosis

Kbundock

New Kit
Hi I have four bunnys and one has sadly fallen I'll to this horrible disease. He has had it for about 2 and a half weeks now. He has the lumps all over his body with 3 around his eye that is Bein treated with eye drops to prevent infection. Does anyone have any advice to help him? I know it's a virus so he just has to fight it off but I feel so helpless. I can't really find much info on this, just on the normal strain of myxi so if anyone could give me more info that would be good.

A second rabbit is also infected but nowhere near as bad. She has 2 scabs under her eye and one on her ear. These are scanned over and I read this is a good thing as it means she is gettin better? Is this true?

Thanks
Katy

The male has seen the vet, he is the more severe one. The vet didn't kno what was wrong at first and he had to have a skin biopsy to find out what it was. They are both on Tiacil eye drops because he had an eye infection from it. He was on a course of oral antibiotics, I'm not sure what. But that is completed now and they are both just havin eye drops twice a day.

The male has seen the vet, he is the more severe one. The vet didn't kno what was wrong at first and he had to have a skin biopsy to find out what it was. They are both on Tiacil eye drops because he had an eye infection from it. He was on a course of oral antibiotics, I'm not sure what. But that is completed now and they are both just havin eye drops twice a day.

Are they on any pain meds at all?

georgie_f has a thread on here about her bunny Cloud who had nodular myxi, search for the thread 'Clouds nose looks funny' and Parsnipbun has a bunny called Hawthorn who is going through full blown myxi that you may find helpful. I think that thread is called 'Hawthorn has myxi'.

while the bunny has nodular myxi the vet should give them (for the entire time) oral daily pain killers adn antiinflammatry (metacam) antibiotics often beggining with baytril twice a day but sometimes a higher strength one is needed, eye drops with anitibiotics in (fucilthalmic) tiacil is good in later stages but has no antibiotics in, the rabbit should be kept indoors and warm (with its cage mates along with support) it should have its eyes bathed daily if the rabbit has weepy eyes, it should also have lts of food offered to it give it things like corriander with a strong smell as the nose cant often smell things as well, also give a bowl of water in addition to a bottle as a sick bunny often needs a bowl as they find it easier, as well as this the rabbit should have steam baths if its respiritory tract is affected. my 10.5yr old rabbit chelsea had nodular myxi and survived it went on for several months she then lived until she was 11.5yrs and was very happy. it is a hard disease to fight but adequet pain relief and anitibiotics are a must if you wish to have any chance at all. prehaps change vet what area are you in maybe we can recoomend someone?
also bisolvon and a probiotic would also be useful (bisolvon will break don the mucas and help breathing adn a probiotic will help when on long term antibiotics (past 10 days) xx

Last edited:

Ignore the last message, sorry I'm kinda new to this. He had painkillers to start with but they have stopped also. He is eatin well, eating more than normal actually and is being spoiled with veggies. I know vitamin c is a good boost for the immune system so I'm tryin to give him plenty of vitamin c rich foods. He is indoors anyway because of going under general aneasethic for the biopsy.

He is currently being treated by alphabets in Maidstone, Kent which is in SE England.

Thank u for ur replies so far

Ignore the last message, sorry I'm kinda new to this. He had painkillers to start with but they have stopped also. He is eatin well, eating more than normal actually and is being spoiled with veggies. I know vitamin c is a good boost for the immune system so I'm tryin to give him plenty of vitamin c rich foods. He is indoors anyway because of going under general aneasethic for the biopsy.

He is currently being treated by alphabets in Maidstone, Kent which is in SE England.

Thank u for ur replies so far

I'd be a little concerned that he's not on pain meds, but im no expert.

If you wish for additional assistance, Trinity Vets in Maidstone are very highly recommened by members here, they may be worth a call if you want a second opinion :)

I posted this yesterday on someone else's thread who has a bun with nodular:

I hope it helps.

You can look at Hawthorn's thread (Hawthorn has myxi); and also one for Viola Rose last year who had nodular myxi (best way to find this is via google - as although its on here it takes ages to find!!)

QUOTE In fact sounds like you have a 'cross over' between nodular and typical myxi if your bun has that many lumps and swellings. In my experience the two are not as separate as many vets seem to think. They seem to start differently but converge.

I would strongly (VERY STRONGLY) recommend a visit to a vet who will prescribe antibiotics (usually Baytril) to help prevent an infection settling on the chest while the immune system is so low and also breathing is so difficult. This should be done ASAP as chest infections can set n quickly and kill rapidly.

I would also recommend that you ask for BISOLVON to help make the mucus runnier and thus clear the nose with more ease.

In addition, if you have a chance I would recommend going to a chemist and getting a Plug In Karvol which is to help children with breathing at night.

Also helpful can be saline sprays such as Potters - but only spray in direction of nose DO NOT spray up it or too close to it.

If you have the money (about £50) then buying a nebuliser which can be used with a wrapped (cling film) carry cage as a 'chamber' is an excellent investment. You can use a saline solution in it or ask your vet for something called F10. This will help prevent bacterial build ups in the nasal passages and chest.

secondary infections on the chest and lowered immune system (associated also with weight loss once the lips are scabbed) are all things which kill myxi rabbits.

Hand feeding of lightly soaked pellets may be necessary once lips scab badly.

The METACAM should also continue until nodules have gone down. Your vet sounds as if they may need to be 'reminded' that dosage recommendations have been revised upwards in the last year or so.

Do PM me if you need more advice. I have had 3 myxi buns - one mild, one quite bad and the present one who is the worse case I have ever seen. The other two survived and we have great hopes for this one doing the same.

PS If you have not already done so they must be brought inside as heat is essential for beating myxi at this time of year.

END QUOTE

Good Luck Do PM if you have any questions.

Please try Trinity Vet Centre in Maidstone. I PROMISE you that they are the best rabbit savvy vet in this area. The prices are really good too. Just ask for an appointment with Mark Rowland.

I really feel like your currant vet is not doing enough.

Thanks for all the advice. I am gonna seek advice from another vet. My vet didn't even kno what it was so I can't really expect them to treat him properly.

Just a note, the swelling under his eye and nose are startin to scab, and the ones on his body are startin to turn hard. Is this a good sign?

He hasn't got any swellings around his mouth (touch wood) so he is still eating fine.

I shall seek a second opinion from another vet and let u all know how that goes, thank u all for ur help so far

Hi :wave: I have ten rabbits with nodular myxi. Metacam is a must for pain relief and to help with swellings. I see Mark at trinity vets and he prescribed streptacare (injectable antibiotic) they have all been having this daily for around three weeks ish now. One by one they all came down with it some with mild symptoms others more severe. Mark is so very clued up on bun medicine etc. Good luck.xxxx

Just thought I'd give u all an update. Visited trinity vets today and he was impressed that minstrel still has an appetite and his chest is clear. He has prescribed metacam and baytril. Fingers crossed!

Just thought I'd give u all an update. Visited trinity vets today and he was impressed that minstrel still has an appetite and his chest is clear. He has prescribed metacam and baytril. Fingers crossed!

Fantastic:) Which vet did you see?

Thats great! - so vital to have a good vet!

I don't remember the name of the vet I saw, wasn't mark. He kind of had an accent? I'm considering permanently changing vets to them. They seem much better. And also treat exotics and I also have a leopard gecko so u never kno when it will come in handy.

I don't remember the name of the vet I saw, wasn't mark. He kind of had an accent? I'm considering permanently changing vets to them. They seem much better. And also treat exotics and I also have a leopard gecko so u never kno when it will come in handy.

:wave: Definitely book her in to see Mark Rowland next time. You saw Richard, he is a good vet but not great with rabbits. Although I saw him with someone with a HUGE snake the other day, and Richard really seemed to know what he was doing then:) Good luck:)

Mark is outstanding with rabbits! He also puts up with me obsessing that mine are ill when they aren't all the time:oops:

How are your buns now?

Last edited:
Still the same :( minstrel don't seem to be gettin any better or any worse. I'm happy he still has an appetite and everything. His daughter jelly bean still has the 2 sores on her head but that is it and she is still fine in herself

Still the same :( minstrel don't seem to be gettin any better or any worse. I'm happy he still has an appetite and everything. His daughter jelly bean still has the 2 sores on her head but that is it and she is still fine in herself

Don't be too despondent - myxi can he a long haul. Anything from 4 weeks to 4 months for serious cases. Still eating is GOOD!! as is not getting any worse.

Staying the same is a good sign - I've not personally had a bun with myxi but from what I've seen on here it can be a long process. Sending lots of vibes for Minstrel and Jelly Bean.

Back