• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hurley (guinea pig) has a lump - U/D they were abscesses

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
My big Hurley man has a lump under his chin and to the left. :cry:

We went on holiday for a week and left him with a friend but I couldn't expect him to notice - it's only obvious to someone who knows what he usually looks like. He's still acting completely normally, eating and drinking and pooping and squeaking as usual. He's booked in to the vets but I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of lumps on piggies and possible causes/treatments?

Hurley is about 5 years old now and has always been my lovely big man. :love: :cry:

Thanks,

AMETHYST

Last edited:
Didnt wish to read and run.
Vibes for wee man.Is it under the skin??

I couldn't really tell. I think so. It also seems "independent" in that it's not attached to his body for the most part, only by a small bit. I can get my fingers almost completely behind it. It also doesn't hurt him when I touch it (he'd squeal the place down if it did!).

Thanks for replying and for the vibes.

AMETHYST

Having no experience with piggies, but with lumps,Im more inclined to think...does it move..is it under the skin,does it bleed, does it irritate.
Skin carcanomas, cysts, its all a bit of a blur.
Just nip him off to your vet.
Could quite possibly be nothing but a fatty lump.
Lots of love.xxxx

Poor Hurley :( Hope he'll be okay xx

Just out of curiosity, are you a Lost fan?

Not so much a fan, but I saw it first around the time I got Hurley pig. As Hurley was the biggest piggie I'd ever seen I decided to name him after the big guy! Hurley's new friend is called Jack. :)

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. He's off to the vets first thing on Wednesday so I'll let you know what they say.

AMETHYST

UPDATE - Hurley has been to the vets and they say they're not sure what the lumps are but there are THREE of them. One is 5 inches by 5 inches!! :cry: They said that they could be either cysts, tumours or abscesses. They're keeping him overnight as they'll do an initial analysis first thing tomorrow under mild anaesthetic. Either way they'll very likely need to operate on him and before that they'll have to do x-rays. He's also going on antibiotics and pain medication in the meantime.

Vibes would be appreciated!

AMETHYST

Aw, poor Hurley. I hope the vets find something treatable.

We had a bunny with lumps and bumps pop up everywhere and it was one abscess that had spidered out and had made other abscesses in the skin.

Good luck for today.

Thanks for the vibes everyone!

UPDATE #2:
Hurley went under anaesthesia and they discovered the lumps were pus-filled abscesses. There were three lumps, one of which was 5 inches square! :cry: They cleared them all out and stitched him back up, but he still needs an x-ray to determine what caused the abscesses as well as antibiotics and/or a second operation to remove whatever's causing them. The vet tech called and said that he had started eating within ten minutes of waking up! :lol: Typical Hurley. :D He must feel SO much better now and with any luck they'll find out the cause and be able to treat it effectively.

This was him before the op - I couldn't believe the size of the biggest lump. :cry:

hurley1.jpg

AMETHYST

Last edited:
poor little man. :( he did so well with the anaesthetic if he was eating again so quickly. :)

lots of vibes for him, he's gorgeous x

poor little man. :( he did so well with the anaesthetic if he was eating again so quickly. :)

lots of vibes for him, he's gorgeous x

Thanks! :D

I'm so proud of him for nomming so soon after the op! The vets at this animal hospital are really great and I trust them completely to give him the best care possible.

He really is a special little piggie! :love:

AMETHYST

Thanks! :D

I'm so proud of him for nomming so soon after the op! The vets at this animal hospital are really great and I trust them completely to give him the best care possible.

He really is a special little piggie! :love:

AMETHYST

it makes such a difference having a vet you trust. lots more vibes for him. :love:

Sending loads of vibes that they can sort it. Am I right in thinking that guinea pigs are much better at getting rid of abscesses than rabbits? :wave:

Back