• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sapphire isn't eating hay!!

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
She will eat Science Selective, Grass, Vege's and fruit but I've noticed she isn't touching the hay - which my three other buns love, it smells gorgeous and was sourced from a farm... it's green in colour and nice and long.

I'm not sure if it's because she isn't well at the moment (posted the other day in health but didn't get many responses so thought i'd follow up in here).

Can anyone give any advice?

Thanks,

Lou xx

ETA Link to original post http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=251375

Last edited:
I'm not experienced enough to comment on the health side, but some bunnies are very fussy about hay, and it might be worth trying different types. Animal Magic Pet Supplies do sample packs of individual types. :wave:

I'm not experienced enough to comment on the health side, but some bunnies are very fussy about hay, and it might be worth trying different types. Animal Magic Pet Supplies do sample packs of individual types. :wave:

Thanks for replying :)

My rabbits have been getting the same hay from the farm since July of this year, when I moved back to Leeds... they hay is really good quality. I'm going to buy some Timothy hay tomorrow to see if she'll touch that. I just think it's odd that she has just gone off it... and that, alongside her severe weight drop yet eating everything else... is really worrying xx

Thanks for replying :)

My rabbits have been getting the same hay from the farm since July of this year, when I moved back to Leeds... they hay is really good quality. I'm going to buy some Timothy hay tomorrow to see if she'll touch that. I just think it's odd that she has just gone off it... and that, alongside her severe weight drop yet eating everything else... is really worrying xx

I'd be worried too. I'm sure the farm hay is great, but when you have an underweight bunny anything is worth trying. My Spenser is very fussy, and doesn't eat Timothy hay from Pets at Home, but he likes the stuff from Animal Magic. Also, have you tried readigrass? I give Spenser a sprinkling of it on top of his regulare hay each day. I hope you find an answer to your hay problem soon. Given that it is supposed to be the main component of a rabbit's diet it really is a bit worry to have your bunny refusing it. :wave:

I did see your original thread, but couldnt help :oops:

I would definately keep trying to find a hay that Sapphire might like. If she is not munching hay all day, then that is probably why she is not gaining weight? I know there are not much calories in hay, but some is better than none!

What about readigrass? Would she eat that?

I did see your original thread, but couldnt help :oops:

I would definately keep trying to find a hay that Sapphire might like. If she is not munching hay all day, then that is probably why she is not gaining weight? I know there are not much calories in hay, but some is better than none!

What about readigrass? Would she eat that?

I'm not totally sure, it's really getting to me as she eats everything else =[

I'm going to go to the pet shop tomorrow and see if I can buy some Readigrass and Timothy Hay. I don't know what else to try =[ xx

I'm not totally sure, it's really getting to me as she eats everything else =[

I'm going to go to the pet shop tomorrow and see if I can buy some Readigrass and Timothy Hay. I don't know what else to try =[ xx

Our local petshops don't have a great selection of hays. It's definitely worth considering the sample packs from Animal Magic or The Hay Experts. Obviously it's not a cheap way of feeding your bunny, but once you find something that suits you can buy it in a more economical quantity.

Have her teeth been checked recently. To a non-expert that's the most likely physical source of an eating problem as hay requires a different tooth-grinding action.

Last edited:
They were last checked at the end of June...and they were in tip top condition. I have a dental bun who has problems with his molars and there's usually signs if he's having problems... dribbling, dropping food etc etc.

I'm waiting for a cheque to clear that will enable me to take her to the vet to get sorted, I just don't know If I should put her through all the bloods and x-rays again if it comes to it - it's all covered my insurance but I can't stress enough how much she doesn't cope on journeys to the vet :(

xx

Back