• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eatting preferances!

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
My little old Thumper who is almost 17 weeks old has these eating habbits....

Last place- cheap/avergae price hay
Next- expensive hay
Closely followed by- pellet food (bunny basics)
Next- PAH nuggets
First place- The LAWN!

He devoures the grass on my lawn, he eats it like he has never eaten anything before. Should I encourage this by placing a roll of it (it hasn't settled yet) into his run?

Personally I think he would like that, but you might get a more expert response by putting a thread in the diet section of 'rabbit care discussion.' Grass will stop growing soon though. :( Has he tried readigrass? Spenser loves it.

Thumper loves it too, but not as much as this grass lol! He gets "bored" of readigrass very easily and just walks away. Today I've put a load of Oxbox Orchard hay in his hutch and hopefully he'll munch on that for today :)

Lucky was def a pellet boy before we had Daisy but she's a fab little hay eater and it's really brought Lucky on.

Now they have about 80-90% hay (timmothy hay to line litter trays - which they still eat - and posher chamomile and dandelion to line the box - they like both) and then about 10-15% greens and the rest made up by pellets.

They love the grass that my daughter picks for them (from the neighbours garden) but they dont go out on our lawn yet as we need to get a run in place. They have the concrete at the back until we can get the front sorted.

Our pet buns are descended from wild buns & have most of wildie instincts.
Their tummies are designed to eat grass + wild plants.
My bun has such good instincts that he knows which wild plants to eat for his tummy condition & how to balance them, that he's stayed alive & is even much improved against all odds.
He has even shown us how to help other buns with less serious tummy troubles!!
He loves grass too when he can digest it. Great!

Watch your bun's wee when on ready grass. A few buns get urine sludge with it.

Back