• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing them indoors for bonfire night?

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Will it do them any harm if they're indoors for just the one night??

A lot of our neighbours have children and I suspect will be letting fireworks off in their gardens (well they did last year) ....... all our backgardens back onto each other in a kind of big square so its a bit too close for home for the bunnies I think.

Would they be ok to come in for just the one night if I kept the heating off??

Thanks, Jo x

If your area is anything like mine they'll be going off for weeks not just one night. I've found the easiest thing is to make sure they are put away in their hutches early and well covered - an old duvet is nice and thick and will muffle sound as well as insulate - but leave a gap for ventilation. The ones who get most upset get a dose of a product called seren-um which is supposed to help calm them.

I think im going to leave my bunnys out this year, even without the heating its still warmer in your house,this winter is going to be horrendous so i dont want them to get used to the warm :(

If your area is anything like mine they'll be going off for weeks not just one night. I've found the easiest thing is to make sure they are put away in their hutches early and well covered - an old duvet is nice and thick and will muffle sound as well as insulate - but leave a gap for ventilation. The ones who get most upset get a dose of a product called seren-um which is supposed to help calm them.

See my two are in an aviary type set up with 24/7 access to their run ..... they hardly ever go inside the hutch so I'm a bit worried as I can't really cover them or muffle the sound for them!

Can't lock them in the hutch as the downstairs is completely open and I don't have anything to block the ramps off with (well nothing that they won't be able to move anyway)!

I'm sure one night with no heating would be ok.

Alternatively you could cover the top part of the hutch so they have a bolt hole if they need it.

I'm sure one night with no heating would be ok.

Alternatively you could cover the top part of the hutch so they have a bolt hole if they need it.

Yeah I could definitely do that, cover the hutch then at least if they want to go in it would be nice and dark and muffled in there ..... actually thinking about it, I suppose I could ask OH to screw some wood down over the ramps just for the one night, that way they'd be shut in the hutch - however, I know they wouldn't be happy and would probably spend all night trying to get out!

Not sure what would be the least stressful thing for them really?!?

They'll be fine-for a couple of nights. Mine come in every night for two weeks or more depending on the fireworks. They go back out in the daytime. Rabbits can die from shock and can have heart attacks related to stress of fireworks and the like. The vets in our area all recommend bringing rabbits and guinea pigs inside. I've been keeping them for 5 years and have never left them out. Thing is they may seem ok and not bothered but the next morning when they're off food, not themselves or even dead, it's too late to change things. Our gardens are also very closely linked and we have dingles at the back who let off display fireworks for hours on end, nights before and after nov 5th. Even a shed is questionable as i've been in ours when neighbours fireworks have gone off and it's still very loud, and scared me to death! Their hearing is so much more sensitive too :)

:wave: I think it depends entirely on the rabbits - You know your buns best :)

I panicked no end with my two when I first got them that they would be scared of the fireworks, but they've never been the slightest bit bothered. Our neighbour two doors down had a firework display in their back garden last year, and they didn't bat an eyelid. I guess if you're really worried then you could bring them inside, but I would have thought that the change in routine/surroundings would be more likely to unsettle them than the noise from the fireworks?

:wave: I think it depends entirely on the rabbits - You know your buns best :)

I panicked no end with my two when I first got them that they would be scared of the fireworks, but they've never been the slightest bit bothered. Our neighbour two doors down had a firework display in their back garden last year, and they didn't bat an eyelid. I guess if you're really worried then you could bring them inside, but I would have thought that the change in routine/surroundings would be more likely to unsettle them than the noise from the fireworks?

agreed, dora used to be petrified of fireworks and i used to cover her over to settle her and then she was fine, then n the other hand chelsea used to sit out in her run (had an 8ft room to go bunny flap into should she wish to ) and watch them she was never bothered and genuinly seemed to like being out watching them!!!!! i try and leave my rabbits outside unless its very smokey/fumey x

Will it do them any harm if they're indoors for just the one night??

A lot of our neighbours have children and I suspect will be letting fireworks off in their gardens (well they did last year) ....... all our backgardens back onto each other in a kind of big square so its a bit too close for home for the bunnies I think.

Would they be ok to come in for just the one night if I kept the heating off??

Thanks, Jo x

I bring mine in and stay up late and put them out when the fireworks have finished - like about 2.00am when I know all is quiet!

Back