• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions for indoor bunny mummys and daddys...

wally4eva

Mama Doe
Ok, so I'm considering having the bunnies inside when we move (we are just looking at houses still), when we first move they will have to be inside until their outside place is built so in that time i'm going to see which they prefer, so they can choose whether they live inside or outside.

So I have a few questions for people that keep their bunnies indoors:)

What is the smell like? Is there any?

Where are the bunnies allowed in the day time in the house and where are they allowed at night time?

Do they have a bunny room, a base (like a dog crate or and NIC condo) or are they just allowed anywhere?

How often do they go outside, and for how long? Do they have a run outside?

I think thats it for now, thank you in advance:D:D

edit - I just realised this should probably be in housing:oops: sorry.

I don't notice a smell. The only time I do is if I've been out all day and the door and window have been shut in the lops room. Then they smell a bit.

Where are the bunnies allowed in the day time in the house and where are they allowed at night time?

Currently the lionheads have their study room and the lops my bedroom - that doesn't change. However, when the lionheads go outside the lops will be in the study room at night and the study, landing and my room during the day.

Do they have a bunny room, a base (like a dog crate or and NIC condo) or are they just allowed anywhere?

Each pair has a room currently. The lops have a base but the lionheads don't. They have a kinda area that they spend most of their time in which has their tray and a blanket but it's not a base as such.

During the summer they go out for about 3-4 hours. I have two of those runs with panels. Next year if the lionheads are in their shed/aviary then I'll use the two together for a huge run for the lops.

Answers from me below in Blue :)

Hope that helps im some way!

Ok, so I'm considering having the bunnies inside when we move (we are just looking at houses still), when we first move they will have to be inside until their outside place is built so in that time i'm going to see which they prefer, so they can choose whether they live inside or outside.

What is the smell like? Is there any? Hay Hay and more Hay. Occasionally a little wee smell if i leave the litter tray too long, but very rarely

Where are the bunnies allowed in the day time in the house and where are they allowed at night time? In their pen + pen extension midnight -> 5pm then free-range in living room / downstairs hall way from 5pm -> midnight

Do they have a bunny room, a base (like a dog crate or and NIC condo) or are they just allowed anywhere? 4x4 Puppy Pen + 7.5 foot x 2.5 foot small animal pen attached covered currently with a large white sheet

Biscuit's been out once for an hour or so but not since, Ginger, never. Too cold until Spring 2011 now in my eyes.

my answers in red :D

no horrible smells if the litter tray is kept clean daily :D.. if you like the smell of hay youll love having house buns yuuuuuum, make me want to eat it lol

my pair have a room to themselves, i do plan to let them have the whole of the upstairs when supervised but i havent got round to bunny proofing yet, now we are living with Ralph again i prefer for the buns to be safely in thier own room of a night even tho i really loved them loose at the old house.

as above they have a bunny room with thier old cage/carpet left open all the time. i have just added the couch to the room for them to hide under or sit on if they want.

this is thier room the week we moved in....
DSC00384.jpg

DSC00379.jpg

never at the mo, but im hoping to build a huge run so they can go out in the summer, this will all depend on finances and Ste's willingness to do DIY lol

I dont notice a smell. Only if litter trays need changing etc.

When we are out, the buns go back to their cages (they have dog crates). They are mainly in the living room as our house is old and cold and its too cold to leave the doors open. In summer, they wander down the hall although I think we will need a stair gate for jazmine :D

As above

Poppet hates being outside. Jaz has yet to go out. In the summer I do leave the door open, where Barney would wander in and out of his own accord. Poppet won't walk on the kitchen floor so she will sit on the doorstep when she wants to be in. We don't have a run, as we have a small yard. However they will probably get one next year when we turf the garden (its over the road!) and I will consider putting a hutch on the concrete and a run on the grass.

Ditto just hay.

They have a 6.5x4.5 pen in the day, which I'm working on adding a second storey to. They are free range in the lounge, landing and downstairs from about 5pm daily, although they don't go downstairs - just stand at the top bobbing their heads about and looking frightened.
as above.

In summer I put them outside in the evenings and weekends for as long as I can supervise - they don't have a run so this only works if I've time to sit and read a book or have dinner outside or something. They were out for an hour last weekend when it was warm, but don't see much more opportunity now for this year. I'm not actually even very sure they like it outside that much!

QUOTE]

No smell, as long as the litter trays are cleaned daily and megazorb+hay are used as litter.
They are only allowed in the bunny room during the day; they are allowed supervised access to the rest of the house during the evening.
See previous answer.
They don't go outside in winter. In the summer, they go out daily for an hour or two freeranging under supervision.

No smell, as long as the litter trays are cleaned daily and megazorb+hay are used as litter.
They are only allowed in the bunny room during the day; they are allowed supervised access to the rest of the house during the evening.
See previous answer.
They don't go outside in winter. In the summer, they go out daily for an hour or two freeranging under supervision.

No smell (but is that like a dog owner saying they cant smell dog in their house when everyone else can) I'll have to ask someone independent to sniff.

Live in the utility room when we arent home (no wires) and the whole downstairs, with forays upstairs when the opportunity avails, but they have to be watched as they eat wires and plastic.

Allowed unfettered access to outside when we are home - garden is secure and the door is left ajar so they come and go as they please esp in warmer weather, however we get a bit of a draft in the winter and they know when it is too cold to go out (they like their comforts) so we tend to open the door a little and they will either step forward or back, depending on the chill factor. Bunnies in the snow - so cute!

No smell (but is that like a dog owner saying they cant smell dog in their house when everyone else can) I'll have to ask someone independent to sniff.

Live in the utility room when we arent home (no wires) and the whole downstairs, with forays upstairs when the opportunity avails, but they have to be watched as they eat wires and plastic.

Allowed unfettered access to outside when we are home - garden is secure and the door is left ajar so they come and go as they please esp in warmer weather, however we get a bit of a draft in the winter and they know when it is too cold to go out (they like their comforts) so we tend to open the door a little and they will either step forward or back, depending on the chill factor. Bunnies in the snow - so cute!

Hello :wave:

My buns now live in the kitchen during the day (as April has decided she likes the taste of carpet :shock:):

0065.jpg

And when we're not at work and can watch them they get full use of our living / dining room as well :)

They also have a dog crate as their base which Charlie is very proud of...
0072-1.jpg

As for the smell, I can't say I've ever noticed a smell at all. Their litter tray has megazorb which is really good, and I change it at least three times a day :)

Hope this helps :D

Hello :wave:

My buns now live in the kitchen during the day (as April has decided she likes the taste of carpet :shock:):

And when we're not at work and can watch them they get full use of our living / dining room as well :)

They also have a dog crate as their base which Charlie is very proud of...

As for the smell, I can't say I've ever noticed a smell at all. Their litter tray has megazorb which is really good, and I change it at least three times a day :)

Hope this helps :D

Thanks:D I love the way Charlie is guarding his dog crate:lol::love:

Back