• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can i have your view on snuffles please?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Can a snuffle bun be bonded with a non snuffle bun? As far as i'm aware it's spread via nasal secretions etc, so it would put a non snuffle bun at risk?

I have heard of people on the forum keeping poorly buns and non poorly buns together if they are already bonded.

I'd think it was a risk putting a healthy and unhealthy bun together. Does anyone have any other views?

Thanks xx

I am bonding Tulip to Tiesto at the moment:shock: Tulip is a chesty/snuffle bun, and Tiesto is healthy, so you can guess what I advise:oops:

I think the bacteria that causes snuffles etc. is present in all buns no matter what. Its just when one gets a weakened immune system that the bacteria takes hold:?

But I really believe that buns need company, and personally, I think it is well worth the risk.

Uhh.. Snuffles, is that pasteurella?

One of my buns had that this summer, they were already bonded and I would never take them apart.

Anyways, I agree with Hancy_14 (if we are talking about pasteurella.. I'm not sure snuffles is the English word for that? :oops::lol:) it's worth the risk!

OOh tempting then. I just wouldn't want to do anything that could jeopardize there safety.

:) xx

p.s What about a poorly bun and a snuffle bun- could that cause the onset of snuffles in the other bun?

Last edited:
before any of mine had snuffles i was always against it as worried they would cause illness to the other rabbit, since 2 of my 4 bunnies have now had snuffles and are in pairs and each time none of the other rabbits got it i have changed my views i think its fine to bond them just be aware you may end up treating 2 bunnies if they DO both get it but in my expierinace it seems to be just 1 ut of a pair will have it even if several bunnies some with some without have had it. all 4 of my bunnies can nose each other through the mesh and share free range garden space i dont think its as big a worry as people think. also i would only do the bonding at a time when the snuffles (pasturella) is under control ie no symptoms. x

OOh tempting then. I just wouldn't want to do anything that could jeopardize there safety.

:) xx

p.s What about a poorly bun and a snuffle bun- could that cause the onset of snuffles in the other bun?

As the bacteria is there anyway I would assume if they are going to get it then they are going to get it, regardless of who they are bonded to:?

before any of mine had snuffles i was always against it as worried they would cause illness to the other rabbit, since 2 of my 4 bunnies have now had snuffles and are in pairs and each time none of the other rabbits got it i have changed my views i think its fine to bond them just be aware you may end up treating 2 bunnies if they DO both get it but in my expierinace it seems to be just 1 ut of a pair will have it even if several bunnies some with some without have had it. all 4 of my bunnies can nose each other through the mesh and share free range garden space i dont think its as big a worry as people think. also i would only do the bonding at a time when the snuffles (pasturella) is under control ie no symptoms. x

Not sure if it's chronic with adonia- it never cleared up, she always has a runny nose , but it is under control as it can be. He breathing is laboured if she runs about. She was treated for 2 years, now she is off meds for the last few years.

Thanks for the advice regarding your experience, it's very helpful xx

[/B]

As the bacteria is there anyway I would assume if they are going to get it then they are going to get it, regardless of who they are bonded to:?

Thanks. Yes perhaps some buns just have weaker immune systems than others, like us i suppose :) x

Not sure if it's chronic with adonia- it never cleared up, she always has a runny nose , but it is under control as it can be. He breathing is laboured if she runs about. She was treated for 2 years, now she is off meds for the last few years.

Thanks for the advice regarding your experience, it's very helpful xx

my only issue with bonding a bnny who has controlled but off meds snuffles yet an obvious active infection is the fact that the stress of bonding COULD make it worse i think its a difficult one but you know how easily stressed your bunny can be and what is best so i would certaintly take it as per each bunny i would always inform the rescue(if taking on another rabbit) of the current problems and have thier opinions on it first. x

my only issue with bonding a bnny who has controlled but off meds snuffles yet an obvious active infection is the fact that the stress of bonding COULD make it worse i think its a difficult one but you know how easily stressed your bunny can be and what is best so i would certaintly take it as per each bunny i would always inform the rescue(if taking on another rabbit) of the current problems and have thier opinions on it first. x

Thanks. I think i'll leave her for the time being. I'll probably just bond ares with another healthy group i have. I think perhaps her personality is one that she would be best a solo bun. She loves me to bits and has fought with one of my other females in the past when i tried bonding them before the snuffles, so perhaps she is best as she is. xx

bisc and matt both have respiratory infections, however, they have different strains of it.. so they have reacted differently to having it.. and when bisc was recovered, he never caught it again off matt who stayed chronic... so it depends on the individual bun, the strain of infection, and their own immune system. my two are brothers, and even then didn't get the same thing..

i'm glad this thread has come up because i always worry about what to do if bisc or matt goes and leaves the other behind. i would want them to be happy and have a new friend, without causing any risk to a new bun.

As said before, all buns have the potential types of bacteria which cause snuffles in their nose. I think that as long as the snuffles is not cause by MRSA or another staph aureus, & the partner bun has a healthy upper airway there is no major issue, because the movement of mucus through the upper airway gets rid of the bacteria before they can cause problems.

I believe that dust thickening the mucus so it cannot drain, may be the basic factor which starts the invasion of bacteria & snuffles. Once the bacteria have scarred the nasal membrane the protective mucus membrane cannot drain properly.
It may be that the breed of rabbit, with different facial characteristics could have a bearing.
So dust control is important both in the prevention & treatment of the disease.

ETA My opinions are based on suffering from "snuffles" myself, for many years.

Last edited:
Thanks that makes sense. I think I'll keep her separate as it does seem to be a heavier more chronic strain. I can hear my other two buns in the kitchen with dental issues sneezing gently this morning. I'll get them back on baytril. They have been having a rest from it. x

Pasturella is the name of a bacteria carried in the nasal cavity of many rabbits. Affected rabbits can carry the bacteria without it causing a problem to the rabbit. The trouble arises if the rabbit becomes immunosupressed, either due to another illness, stress etc and the bacteria have the opportunity to multiply and the immune system cannot cope and fight the disease.

Snuffles is the term used for rhinitis, which is inflammation of the upper respiritory tract. Snuffles is not ALWAYS caused by pasturella although it is the most common cause.

I would not put a snuffles bunny with an apparantly healthy bunny just in case the healthy bun does not carry pasturella but has another underlying disease. However, if one of a bonded pair showed clinical signs i would not break the pair up.

Back