• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Watching rabbits...

abi2047

Mama Doe
My dining room window faces the garden and I sit here at the dinner table watching Riley free range in the garden. Does anyone else eat their breakfast whilst their bunny's are in the garden?

Funny you should say that, now its darker and mine don't get so much free range time at night, I wondered if I should let them out for some morning free range and then put them in their day time run when I go to work.
Good idea, although I'm not sure if frosty grass and plants will be bad for them?
Tempting to sit and watch them instead of going to work though :lol:

The other night I was outside the back door & I saw thie weird looking cat kinds hop across the decking onto our patio....I thought oh no the cats got hurt back legs! It was the neighbours rabbit!!!!!:shock::roll: They dont always shut it away - so it free ranges alot....looks like its getting brave by now coming into our garden! The next morning was very frosty & I said to OH that I hope thebunny was ok & not cold etc...well he goes - its in our garden - the bunny poppoed its head up over our steps to say hi! Poor things been shut away last few days now as it was naughty to come into our garden! First time the walkway was open...second time we think he jumped the fence! He is gorgous too!:love::love::love:

Funny you should say that, now its darker and mine don't get so much free range time at night, I wondered if I should let them out for some morning free range and then put them in their day time run when I go to work.
Good idea, although I'm not sure if frosty grass and plants will be bad for them?
Tempting to sit and watch them instead of going to work though :lol:

I let Riley have free range from about 7am til about 10pm every day. Although if I go out for the day which is very rare then he is confined to his hutch/run combo.

The other night I was outside the back door & I saw thie weird looking cat kinds hop across the decking onto our patio....I thought oh no the cats got hurt back legs! It was the neighbours rabbit!!!!!:shock::roll: They dont always shut it away - so it free ranges alot....looks like its getting brave by now coming into our garden! The next morning was very frosty & I said to OH that I hope thebunny was ok & not cold etc...well he goes - its in our garden - the bunny poppoed its head up over our steps to say hi! Poor things been shut away last few days now as it was naughty to come into our garden! First time the walkway was open...second time we think he jumped the fence! He is gorgous too!:love::love::love:

Aww bless, he only wanted to come and say hello :D Is it a low fence?

I don't think I'd be comfortable letting my bunnies free range unless I was pyhsically in the garden with them. In fact I don't really like it even if I am as there's no way I could grab them all quick enough if a predator came along.

I don't think I'd be comfortable letting my bunnies free range unless I was pyhsically in the garden with them. In fact I don't really like it even if I am as there's no way I could grab them all quick enough if a predator came along.

I'm the same, I always sit out with my bunny, although I enjoy the fresh air too :p

I'm in and out every few minutes with mine and they have their hutch door open so they can hide if they need to. Might try morning free ranging and report back. i might have a problem persuading them to go in their run when I have to go to work though:shock:

Mine have a permanent guard encase of any predators (which i've never seen before). That guard is my dog, any intruder to the garden and she'll go nuts.

Spenser is fast asleep at the moment, and has been since about 11am. I've never thought of putting him in the run in the morning, but maybe I should as he's probably not getting enough time out now that it gets dark earlier. :?

I used to watch the news while eating breakfast now I watch my bunnies tucking in to their brekkie on the lounge floor next to me :D I love watching them eat and listening to their little munching noises :love:

I don't think I would get anything done if Spenser was in the house. :oops: Maybe a bit, when he takes his late-morning to mid-afternoon.

Aww bless, he only wanted to come and say hello :D Is it a low fence?

yeah - its lower on their side than ours...he was running all over our garden today too! My bun Indiana was checking him out for indoors.....I wonder what they thinking...:D

Would love to be confident enough to let them run free. But I'm in agreement; although we've a small back garden and my work patterns mean I'm home most of the day I still don't feel comfortable . Especially when I hear the caw from Buzzards overhead. Just last spring a Sparrowhawk came and nabbed a young fledgling from a Lilac bush yards from where my bro' and I were sitting. That was so quick! It wasn't perturbed by the fact of two adults in the garden.
Consequently the runs I've bought have been added to to try and give them the best space...tee hee...which doesn't leave much room left for when the family all visit...

Also, for me, it's just SO nice to unwind at the end of shift, sitting in the arbour with the fragrences of summer, (solar)fairy lights on, glass of wine/cup of tea, just watching the buns scamper about playing in their run. I've put some 'tunnels' in I've made out of wood, which they love, gives them a little more space....

Back