• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

White nasal discharge

Sunny

Young Bun
My small black rabbit (bought him at about 4 months old from a pet shop), has produced a thickish white discharge from his nose periodically when he sneezes. He is now about a year old. During the time I have had him, I have had him neutered and vaccinated. My vet has listened to his lungs before and after neutering and says they are clear. He looks healthy, lots of energy, glossy coat and eats well. So why the white foamy discharge? Could it be allergy to the straw etc? Do I need to be concerned? :?

I think this sounds like it needs veterinary follow up.
When your vet listens to your buns chest pre & post op its the lower respiratory tract they are assessing.
This sounds more like a problem of the upper respiratory tract, of which it could one of many things.
So best get this checked out.

I think this sounds like it needs veterinary follow up.
When your vet listens to your buns chest pre & post op its the lower respiratory tract they are assessing.
This sounds more like a problem of the upper respiratory tract, of which it could one of many things.
So best get this checked out.

I agree with this.

This wounds like an upper respiratory problem and he needs to be seen quickly to prevent it worsening.

White discharge is classically a sign of upper respiratory tract infection - either from an elongated tooth root or a lowered immune system, either way bun has active pathogens in the nose and upper respiratory tract that warrants vet treatment for an infection.

Back