• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are the fur and meat rabbit breeds?

AriaSwan

Warren Scout
I am in 4-h and for my upcoming test we have to know what breeds of rabbits are used for fur or meat. In my manual it says most of the commerical breeds are used for meat and fur, but are the commerical breeds used primarily for meat and the fancy breeds for fur? Here are the breeds in my manual:

Commercial

New Zealand
Californian
Champagne D’Argent

Fancy:
Flemish Giant
Dutch
English Spot
Rex
Satin
Chinchilla
Himalayan

as far as i know, fancy arnt used for fur,
The BRC have a Fur section, for rabbits that were used for fur.

All i know is that smokes are fur, but i dont know if you have them other there:lol:

ETA, here http://www.thebrc.org/stds.htm it has a list of british fur breeds

I would find some one in the US to ask or try the ARBA, the standards aren't necessarily the same in the UK and US.

why does 4-h teach you things like that...? :?

what is 4h? even?

also as this is a pet adn rescue forum site you may find that some people take offence as even breeds classified as traditional meat breeds like nz whites are often loving pets here, most people are probebly shocked on here there are hundreds of breeds the brc could tell you about breeds as pets and as show animals i would guess you would need to speak to someone in the meat industry regarding those types? i dont know what type of rabbit they feel is needed for "fur" appart from angoras who can be brushed for their fur not just killed. x

what is 4h? even?

4H is a school based scheme in the US, It covers a whole wide range of stuff. The 4H part stands for four words beginning with H, stuff like 'Heart' (for trying) and things like that. I can't remember what the others are.

Back