• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mine love Corriander (I get a big bunch if I go to Asda). They also have Lemon Balm from the garden in the summer as well as Mint and Sage. They enjoy Carrot Tops too and Wild Rocket from Tesco's.

Spring greens WERE Spenser's staple, but he has gone off them this weekend. :(:roll:

His favourties are curly kale and parsley, but they are not suitable for regular feeding because of their calcium content. Flat leaf parsley is best, as it has a lower calcium content. Spenser also likes rocket, although it doesn't keep well and is a rather expensive way of feeding your bunny. I tried him with a sprout last night, but he wasn't at all impressed. Oh, and he seems to like cauliflower.

Brilliant thank you.
I feel like a bad bunny mum as I don't get to the shops often and when I do its the same cabbage or carrots for the lil one. I wanted to grow some herbs and get a variety so he doesn't get bored and find one he loves just incase a situation occurs where he won't eat and I can then tempt him.

You could try buying a pot of herbs from the supermarket - some people can keep them alive for ages. Not me I'm afraid, and Spenser prefers the cut variety of parsley. The pots are quite cheap and might be worth a go especially if you are not at the shops much. The RWA website has a leaflet on 'feeding your rabbit' which includes a huge list of safe foods for rabbits.

Mine adore Basil - I buy the pots from Supermarkets and pick the leaves off and let the plant carry on growing.

They have parsley, but not as often.

They tried mint, but it upset the tummy of one of them, so I haven't used it since.

:wave:Carrot tops are the favourite here. He loves curly kale & parsley, but these, I understand, have to be rationed because of the calcium content. I go to a local greengrocer who, because I'm a regular customer, gives me a 'rabbit bag' consisting of a variety of stray leaves and carrot tops that people don't want ;) I bought several herb plants for him in the summer - corriander, mint, rosemary, thyme, banana mint etc, but I'm afraid Suki devours them faster than they can grow:p

I love Basil, especially with feta cheese and little tomatoes, nom nom.
Anyways bun food not my food. I do want to grow some herbs myself but I'm bit worried as I live in a student house and I can imagine inside it might die and outside the next door neighbours might get a bit rowdy.

I just notice that when you buy veg from supermarkets it goes out of date so quickly. I should try go to the market it would be a lot cheaper and would probably last.

How much herbage do you give them? Obviously I need to try him out on little bits but I'm so rubbish at judging how much veg and herbs they should have.

I'm probably more generous with parsley than I should be - a pre-cut supermarket bunch lasts no more than 5 days (which is about as long as it would keep anyway). If you like basil too I would buy a plant, and hopefully you can both enjoy it. Herbs have a stronger flavour, so start with just a few leaves.

My rabbits don't seem to be bothered about herbs. They just looked at my as if to say 'why are you holding that in front of my face?', then when I left them with some over night, some of it was still there in the morning (nothing remotely food like usually lasts a night of rabbit hoovering).

Great thread by the way! I'm struggling to provide a variety of veg. Mine usually get spring greens, with a little bit of kale. I used to feed them broccoli but it apparently gives them wind (and my bunny got really bad hiccups and I think wind - so avoiding it)

:wave:Carrot tops are the favourite here.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question :oops: but can you only get carrot tops from a local greengrocer? I tend to shop quite late at night because of the hours I work - so go to 24hr supermarkets for my veg. Do any of the supermarkets sell them?
I'd love to try my rabbits on carrot tops - it so rabbity :rabbit2::D

My rabbits don't seem to be bothered about herbs. They just looked at my as if to say 'why are you holding that in front of my face?', then when I left them with some over night, some of it was still there in the morning (nothing remotely food like usually lasts a night of rabbit hoovering).

Great thread by the way! I'm struggling to provide a variety of veg. Mine usually get spring greens, with a little bit of kale. I used to feed them broccoli but it apparently gives them wind (and my bunny got really bad hiccups and I think wind - so avoiding it)

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question :oops: but can you only get carrot tops from a local greengrocer? I tend to shop quite late at night because of the hours I work - so go to 24hr supermarkets for my veg. Do any of the supermarkets sell them?

You can usually get them at Tesco & Sainsburys - about £1.50 a bunch. They're cheaper at markets and boot sales :)

Love your siggie :love:

Oh and your new one Blackberry :love:

Last edited:
Love your siggie :love:

Thank you so much!!

Our Morrisons have them, Bunny Mum2b, but, as I said, smile sweetly at your local greengrocer

Great to know! I will hit my local Sainsburys, Morrisons and Tesco - one of them must have them. I shall also make an effort one saturday morning to find a local greengrocer and give him my sweetest smile :angel: :)

Its so sad that the combination of someone liking my signature and knowing I should be able to get carrot tops has really made my Sunday night!:)

My two love carrot tops and I'm fortunate that my daughter works in
a veg shop and saves them for me. I know that in their shop they put them back for anyone with buns/guineas who wants any, they always ask customers if they want the tops cut off and then keep them behind the counter, it might be worth asking your local shop and then you can collect when it's convenient for you :D

Back