• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

delete

Most good seed companies will sell 'wild' plant and flower seeds, including 'weed' seed. You may have to make sure you use the botanical name of the plant so Taraxicum officinale for example would be your dandelions. However, if you tend to forage for wild plants, nature is usually very very generous, so you can collect some, just as long as you don't take it all, so the plant can still regenerate in it's location or get the opportunity to disperse naturally.:D

Thanks, think I might buy some myself. Do I need to wait til spring to sow weeds? (Sounds quite funny saying about sowing weeds!!) :lol:

Generally yes. I have no idea about Chickweed though, I suspect it is an annual in which case Spring, but it may need a cold spell to trigger germination :? Some weed plants do.

Bear in mind that most weeds don't like rich compost, preferring poorer soil, however, all the chickweed I collected at my dad's in Somerset was from a freshly ploughed heavy clay field :)

Generally yes. I have no idea about Chickweed though, I suspect it is an annual in which case Spring, but it may need a cold spell to trigger germination :? Some weed plants do.

Bear in mind that most weeds don't like rich compost, preferring poorer soil, however, all the chickweed I collected at my dad's in Somerset was from a freshly ploughed heavy clay field :)

Oh thats interesting. I think our soil PH is pretty neutral, and is the medium type stuff (loam?) so hopefully they will grow - we seem to get a lot of weeds anyway - for all I know some of these are fine for the buns but as I dont know for sure I wont risk it, I would rather buy a pack of seeds for £1 or £2 and know they are safe. Thank you :wave:

what about growing them on the windowsill?

i have some timmy hay seeds and organic oat wheat seeds.. from hay experts etc.

i was going to put holes in some plastic drawers from a plastic set of drawers and use some multi purpose compost in them. now im going to use some icecream tubs new forest ice cream ones:lol: some compost and grow indoors.

you can buy some growing herbs in asda etc..coriander...parsley....mint.

what about growing them on the windowsill?

i have some timmy hay seeds and organic oat wheat seeds.. from hay experts etc.

i was going to put holes in some plastic drawers from a plastic set of drawers and use some multi purpose compost in them. now im going to use some icecream tubs new forest ice cream ones:lol: some compost and grow indoors.

you can buy some growing herbs in asda etc..coriander...parsley....mint.

Thats a good idea, not sure how well they would grow in my kitchen though because it its NW facing and it gets really cold in the winter...could try with a small amount though, it would be nice to grow more natural treats for them.

Oh thats interesting. I think our soil PH is pretty neutral, and is the medium type stuff (loam?) so hopefully they will grow - we seem to get a lot of weeds anyway - for all I know some of these are fine for the buns but as I dont know for sure I wont risk it, I would rather buy a pack of seeds for £1 or £2 and know they are safe. Thank you :wave:

Just make sure they are from a reputable site, as mis identification can be problem and have experienced this from Nicky's seeds.

Mine adore rosemary & its evergreen too - so always a goood one indoors or out - .....it also dries great to sprinkle on forageing hay!:D

Back