• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

THINKING OF KEEPING UN NEUTERED MALES TOGETHER ?? bad news post 26

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
2005_03052010oct0002.jpg

This happened last night ..

3 un neutered males together ...20 weeks old .. got on fine untill a few weeks ago then the other two started picking on this little fella .
owner rang for advice yesterday. I suggested neuter asap and possibly take out the one being hassled . Didnt have a spare hutch ...was going to divide the one they had today ..

but then all hell broke loose ..

first this one got it ...as you can see he has several bad bites ..all of them are fresh except a small scabbed one on his back.
Then the other two turned on each other .. :(

owner was distraught ..:(:(:(

All comes down to bad advice or no advice when she got the buns :(:(:(

The other two are now seperate and staying with owner .. this one , the worst injured has come to us .. :(

Last edited:
I've had a neutered male do this to another neutered male. Fine until spring then joe turned on earl and earl ended up having necrotic tissue removed and stitches. Needless to say the group got split after this. However a similar thing happened with earl and his mom attacking another neutered male 12 months before this. Broops had a chunk took from his ear and his bottom lip. Again all was fine for a month after bonding then spring came! He was took out of the group after this and bonded with a new female. I've known other people keep entire brothers together for years and no problems occuring. However it's irresponsible of the owner to leave animals together knowing they are hurting each other. Again I think the welfare law covers this issue-free from pain and suffering? Is the owner aware that now the victim has been removed the boys will take it out on eachother instead? I can't believe they were left together in this social situation with only the intention of sorting them out. It really should have been addressed at the first sign of problems!

I've had a neutered male do this to another neutered male. Fine until spring then joe turned on earl and earl ended up having necrotic tissue removed and stitches. Needless to say the group got split after this. However a similar thing happened with earl and his mom attacking another neutered male 12 months before this. Broops had a chunk took from his ear and his bottom lip. Again all was fine for a month after bonding then spring came! He was took out of the group after this and bonded with a new female. I've known other people keep entire brothers together for years and no problems occuring. However it's irresponsible of the owner to leave animals together knowing they are hurting each other. Again I think the welfare law covers this issue-free from pain and suffering? Is the owner aware that now the victim has been removed the boys will take it out on eachother instead? I can't believe they were left together in this social situation with only the intention of sorting them out. It really should have been addressed at the first sign of problems!

they are all now split .

she didnt realise how serious the situation was becoming until she rang last night . She was in the process of sorting the hutch this morning when things went badly wrong :(

She wasnt negligent ...just un informed and ignorant :(

Poor bunny. :cry:

It's so easy to acquire a rabbit (or two or three) that it is all too beliveable that this sort of thing happens. The person who I rehomed Spenser from said she wouldn't have given a goldfish to some of the people who offered to take one of her bunnies.

Thank goodness for the angels of the bunny world. :love:

Warning - Upsetting Photo

Poor rabbits.

It's so sad that bunnies are hurt and killed because their owners don't have the right information about rabbit keeping.

If I had a pound for the times I hear about people having been told to get two same sex bunnies when they go to pet shops or the like.

The photo below is of a bunny who was attacked (and in effect castrated) by his male friend. The owners were told to have to same sex buns by the people they bought the rabbits from.

The boy in the photo died from his injuries (and related shock) despite veterinary intervention and the attempt to repair the damage.

UnneuteredMalesScrotumDamage003.jpg

Back