• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

subdued and bowel sounds

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I've brought buzz in because he doesn't seem right - he's subdued, his eyes look a little dull and he's got some very loud bowel sounds coming from his gut. He's still eating and I don't know about pOoing yet but I've separated him to see.

Not worth a trip to the vets? He's never had stasis before.

I treat my rabbits under the direction of my vet, using a specific set of instructions. However, if your vet has not given you instructions for how to deal with that and what to do, then you need to call your vet today.

Sending lots of vibes for Buzzy if you need anything let me know. I have also sorts of probiotics and stuff. Best call the vet and see they may be able to give advice over the phone.

I treat my rabbits under the direction of my vet, using a specific set of instructions. However, if your vet has not given you instructions for how to deal with that and what to do, then you need to call your vet today.

This.

It may resolve itself as bun is still eating. I would encourage bun to eat as much as possible and plenty of fibre and damp or wet greens or grass. Give the tummy a massage and get bun to hop around. Infacol will help dispersion of the gas but if bun doesn't perk up or poo then vet today. X

Sorry I haven't replied sooner - he is exactly the same, still eating still pooing but just full
Of blurps and blarps in his bowel. And he just doesn't look right. Vet has done her usual thing
Of suggesting biolapis and fibreplex which I'm doing... He might just be teetering on the edge of stasis. Any other thoughts at this stage?

Yes, they have given me metacam to use at home, so she just suggested I give him that, which I have. This vet is good - she's great in emergencies, but when the buns are teetering on the edge of something she has a "come back later" approach and it's almost not worth going.

The change in Buzz is so subtle, but very obvious to me because I know him very well and because he's quite a needy rabbit. The other buns are also licking him a lot which they tend to do when one of them is ill. I'll get up and check on him in the night and might take him with me to work tomorrow (my boss allows it!)

Have you tried Infacol yet? Dosage 1ml 3x a day. Tummy massage and exercise can help to move the gas pockets along and out.

No I've always wondered about that -- can I buy the stuff from the supermarket? And I give it to him with a syringe?

Its in the baby gas meds section. You're looking for something with the active ingredient Simethicone, and Infacol is a brand that uses it.

If the change is that subtle I'd be thinking it wasn't gas, personally, but it won't hurt to see if it helps.

Back