• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back leg/Not walking

Bunnie_Mummy

Young Bun
Hi,

Last night we notice that Poppy our mini french lop wasnt walking properley.

When i say walking i mean hopping. Sort of. She has done this once in the past, and we clipped her claws, but they werent what i would class as over long.

We clipped her claws again today, and front were fine no problems, her back ones were long, and need doing.
I wanted to stay with her n see if she is ok for the afternoon, she is cleaning/eating vegg n hay n food normally.

But still not moving. Her feet are warm, so it seem blood circ is fine there. But her ears are slightly cold. (i guess this is from her not moving)

She can move her front paws etc easily. And is her normal temperment. Apart from when she walks, rarely, she seems to still be using her back bone leg bit.
As if thumping.

She can stretch her back legs out, as she has just laid on her side. And he legs are fully stretched out. But 15mins ago she went to scratch her ear, and got part way with her back leg, then stopped. As if in pain. (bu making no pain noises) And I can see no hock issues, twisted leg issues etc.

Im wandering if her nails were causing her trouble n pain that much that it has affected her back feet??

She will be going to the vets if we have no improvement by morning.

Any ideas??

I would take her to the vet today. IT could be a number of problems such as EC or even a spinal/ leg injury.

It sounds as though she has spinal an/or hip pain. Maybe from an injury, maybe from arthritis.
Can you not get her Veterinary attention today as she is clearly in pain and therefore in need of some analgesia.

It sounds as though she has spinal an/or hip pain. Maybe from an injury, maybe from arthritis.
Can you not get her Veterinary attention today as she is clearly in pain and therefore in need of some analgesia.

I completely agree with this.

Back