• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi and maybe snuffles?

laurajayne

New Kit
Hiya all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice - I'm really not sure what the best course of action is :(

I have two bonded rabbits, Xander and Wilma - they're my little furry babies! They've both been vaccinated agains VHD and Myxi.

About two weeks ago, the vet diagnosed them with Nodular Myxi - it's a bit hard to miss, they're covered in lumps! Poor Xandy has it worse though, he's got a huge one on his nose, and all around his mouth....makes me cry just looking at them :cry: Vet gave me metacam, which has now run out, but nothing else, said they didn't seem to have secondary infections which required antibotics, so I was happy with that.

They've been doing okay up until now. Xandy can't stop sneezing, and you can hear his breathing, which seems a bit, laboured isn't the word, but like a human would with a cold.

They're both still eating and everything, and Wilma won't leave her husbun's side.

So what should I do - it's Sunday afternoon, so it's emergency call outs only at the vets. I love them to bits, and will do anything for them, of course, but does he need to be seen right now? Is there something I can do for him until maybe tomorrow?

Obviously if they need to go, I will take them right now!

I'm sorry if I come across a bit of an emotional wreck, my parents are currently stuck in Kenya as my dad has been admitted to hospital, so I'm just finding life a little hard at the moment....but any quick responces would be so greatly appriciated.

Thank you x

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time of it at the moment.

I can't say I have any experience of Myxi (thankfully) - you could do a search and look at some of the other threads relating to treating buns wiht nodular myxi, there are a few.

Could you call your vets and ask for advice, that's what I'd do.

Hiya all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice - I'm really not sure what the best course of action is :(

I have two bonded rabbits, Xander and Wilma - they're my little furry babies! They've both been vaccinated agains VHD and Myxi.

About two weeks ago, the vet diagnosed them with Nodular Myxi - it's a bit hard to miss, they're covered in lumps! Poor Xandy has it worse though, he's got a huge one on his nose, and all around his mouth....makes me cry just looking at them :cry: Vet gave me metacam, which has now run out, but nothing else, said they didn't seem to have secondary infections which required antibotics, so I was happy with that.

They've been doing okay up until now. Xandy can't stop sneezing, and you can hear his breathing, which seems a bit, laboured isn't the word, but like a human would with a cold.

They're both still eating and everything, and Wilma won't leave her husbun's side.

So what should I do - it's Sunday afternoon, so it's emergency call outs only at the vets. I love them to bits, and will do anything for them, of course, but does he need to be seen right now? Is there something I can do for him until maybe tomorrow?

Obviously if they need to go, I will take them right now!

I'm sorry if I come across a bit of an emotional wreck, my parents are currently stuck in Kenya as my dad has been admitted to hospital, so I'm just finding life a little hard at the moment....but any quick responces would be so greatly appriciated.

Thank you x

Personally I'd DEFINITELY get them seen as an emergency TODAY

Good luck xx

Hi,

Firstly, I'm very sorry your dad is in hospital. I hope he makes a speedy recovery from whatever has rendered him there.

I think it would be sensible to get them seen today. Generally rabbits get prescribed Metacam (as yours were) and also covering antibiotics for the duration of nodular myxi. I think, at the very least, your bunny needs some antibiotics.

I would also wonder if nebulising may help, and also maybe something in the room to help clear his airways (I think parsnipbun found Karvol plugin helped).

When you have time I would suggest reading parsnipbun's threads about Hawthorn and also Viola Rose (that one should be found via the search function because its from last year) and should give you an awful lot of info.

Good luck at your vets.

Hi

Nasal congestion and mucus in the nose is a typical symptom at this time/stage with both nodular and classic (typical) myxi (ie at 2 weeks into it).

In fact sounds like you have a 'cross over' between nodular and typical myxi if your bun has that many lumps and swellings. In my experience the two are not as separate as many vets seem to think. They seem to start differently but converge.

I would strongly (VERY STRONGLY) recommend a visit to a vet who will prescribe antibiotics (usually Baytril) to help prevent an infection settling on the chest while the immune system is so low and also breathing is so difficult. This should be done ASAP as chest infections can set n quickly and kill rapidly.

I would also recommend that you ask for BISOLVON to help make the mucus runnier and thus clear the nose with more ease.

In addition, if you have a chance I would recommend going to a chemist and getting a Plug In Karvol which is to help children with breathing at night.

Also helpful can be saline sprays such as Potters - but only spray in direction of nose DO NOT spray up it or too close to it.

If you have the money (about £50) then buying a nebuliser which can be used with a wrapped (cling film) carry cage as a 'chamber' is an excellent investment. You can use a saline solution in it or ask your vet for something called F10. This will help prevent bacterial build ups in the nasal passages and chest.

secondary infections on the chest and lowered immune system (associated also with weight loss once the lips are scabbed) are all things which kill myxi rabbits.

Hand feeding of lightly soaked pellets may be necessary once lips scab badly.

The METACAM should also continue until nodules have gone down. Your vet sounds as if they may need to be 'reminded' that dosage recommendations have been revised upwards in the last year or so.

Do PM me if you need more advice. I have had 3 myxi buns - one mild, one quite bad and the present one who is the worse case I have ever seen. The other two survived and we have great hopes for this one doing the same.

PS If you have not already done so they must be brought inside as heat is essential for beating myxi at this time of year.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies - I'm laurajayne's sister (got two buns of my own <3).

Xander went to the vets today, unfortunately we couldn't afford the £150 vets fees we were quoted over the phone. :( He's got lumps everywhere, including on his back but some are starting to scab over (particularly the ones on his head) and the skin underneath has been checked by the vet and looks healthy. So no worries about infection there.

We've also got to clean his nose and eyes twice a day, but the mucus looks relatively runny anyway. Vet has advised it may need flushing once the inflammation has gone.

He's got more Metacam and some Baytril and he's lost a little bit of weight (but not much). Wilma is healthier (her nose nodules scabbed and have now fallen off - leaving a few patches of skin visible, but these look very healthy) and is taking her wifely duties seriously and taking care of her little husbun.

Thank you for all your advice, especially parsnipbun (always handy to know that if needs be, the nebuliser is affordable), hopefully we can get him better soon! Bunny hugs to Hawthorn from the four here - hope he gets better soon.

Back