• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bored of hay & has dental issues: opinions please?

ginge1

Young Bun
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on an issue I'm having with one of my buns. He's approx. 5/6 years (he came from a rescue), he has EC (which he was treated for) & a year after we adopted him he had dental problems. He was off his food, chewing when nothing was in his mouth (not grinding his teeth in pain or tooth purring) & would only take chopped vegetables & pellets. He had a GA & a dental which revealed very slight molar spurs. He was treated for this & only had an episode a year or so ago where he was off his hay for a day or two & then was back to his normal diet without the need for another GA & dental.

Over the past few days I have noticed he has been off his usual meadow hay. The hay is fine as my other bun is happily eating it as usual. I have tried to tempt him to eat regular hay by mixing in timothy hay & other fresh meadow hays but he's not very interested. He will take the odd strand or two but not the level he should be eating. It seems strange because he will wolf down other dried grass & other treats which require the same type of chewing motion ie. plantain, ready grass, fresh grass, apple tree bark. However, I have noticed that his poos are coming out strung together by strands of hay & they are darker, more moist & smaller than usual. He is drinking & peeing normally. His stomach is not bloated or hard & is actually hungry. I have tried removing all other foods to check he is not being fussy & he still only eats a little of his regular hay.

I think he must have an issue with his molars again, so I want to see what opinions other bunny parents may have before I put him through the stress of the vets & possible danger of a GA.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Hate to say it but it does sound like he might be due another dental. If he hasnt had one for a year though at that age it isnt so bad.

I agree. I would get his teeth checked by a vet and see. It's always better to be safe.

Back