• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training

bugsy's owner

Young Bun
Hi all,:wave:

Have had bugsy since 1st week of July now, he is an indoor bun, not yet neutered by sexually mature.

Before getting an indoor bun, I read up on litter training, and read that it is really easy!

Not so for Bugsy!!!

He still does not restrict his weeing and pooing to a corner of his cage, but instead goes everywhere!!

Out of his cage he has a litter tray but does not go out of his way to go there. He does however go out of his way to pee on our sofa throws and bean bag! He never pees on the floor though just poos as though he doesnt realise hes doing it (poos, runs, poos again!)

Any advice to give on how to train him or is it cause hes an unneutered male?

If he does go in his litter tray i do praise him and give treats.

Thanks in advance for any advice.xxx

I think it's just a case of keep trying and be patience or maybe even try and lift him into the potty?
Jack went through a stage of not going in the potty and i just kept moving it about the run to the places she pee'd until she stopped doing it everywhere and just the potty.

Not sure my advice is of any help, someone more experienced may come along x

:wave:I'm sure it's harder to litter train unneutered buns, particularly once the hormones kick in.

im certainly no expert but I think the little trails of poos are scent pellets - they may stop when bunny has scented all areas. I just wonder what do you have in the litter tray - it may sound strange but my bunny had sore hocks at one point and didnt like to toilet on hay or litter and we resorted to kitchen roll on newspaper as it was instantly absorbed and didnt irritate the hocks.

What about putting a few different litter trays around to see if there is a preferred area and dont clean it completely as the scent may be removed so he wont know it his.

as i say im no expert but these are my experiences.

To me, a lot of that sounds like territorial behavioural and that will all be heightened and exaccerbated by not being neutered.

Is there a particular reason he has not been neutered?

Back