• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser off his greens now!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Spenser seems to be off his greens. :? He was a bit off them yesterday (but did eat some grass and a lot of apple leaves in the run). This morning he even refused parsley. :?:shock: His morning pellets went quickly as usual, and he has had some hay (not a huge amount). It was VERY cold last night, and I'm ashamed to admit I was rather slow in noticing his water bowl had frozen. I would have thought that would have made him more rather than less interested in greens. Any ideas on what could cause a bunny to lose interest in veg?

If he's being selective I would be thinking teeth, or something wrong with the veg, to be honest. Another possibility he is feeling generally rough (such as dehydrated, so his gut has slowed down) although I would expect him to refuse pellets first, in my experience, and not turn down his favourite, in favour of something else. I don't think I'm saying that right, but I know what I mean. :lol:

He is very fussy, and the spring greens are getting stalky as their season passes. He ate last nights veg, with the exception of the broccoli (which he has gone off) and a sprout (a failed experiment!). This week's parsley is less fragrant than usual, so he might just be indicating it isn't up to standard. He dozing just now, but when he is more awake I will try to tempt him with apple. I should have mentioned that he hoovered up a sprinkling of plantain and dandelion this morning.

This happened with Grimlock and it was his front teeth. It was when he had the abscesses under his incisors and it obviously became painful to bite chunks off from things. I had no idea at first. Then they started to grow wonky. He had them trimmed but obviously that didn't help. My vet advised to take them out and that's when we found the problem.

Don't want to scare you though! He might just be having an off day or the veg isn't up to his high standard! If he's eating other greens he's probably just saying they're just not as good. ;)

This happened with Grimlock and it was his front teeth. It was when he had the abscesses under his incisors and it obviously became painful to bite chunks off from things. I had no idea at first. Then they started to grow wonky. He had them trimmed but obviously that didn't help. My vet advised to take them out and that's when we found the problem.

Don't want to scare you though! He might just be having an off day or the veg isn't up to his high standard! If he's eating other greens he's probably just saying they're just not as good. ;)

Gosh, wish I'd asked the vet to check his teeth when he was there for his myxi booster last week. I'll try chopping things up more.

I honestly doubt that's the case. Watch what he's eating. See if chopping things up makes a difference. As Grim can't eat hay either I just wondered...

Blackie still eats pellets but starts leaving fresh food when his teeth start hurting. It might be worth getting Spenser checked.

Have you tried hawthorn leaves? My boys go nuts for them.

I've sliced/chopped a bit of carrot very finely, and am leaving him in peace as he is unlikely to eat it if I standard over him. He did eat both oat and timothy hay last night. I wonder if I should go and buy him some kale - don't really want to encourage a taste for it though because of the calcium issue. :?

He may just be feeling more full because of eating more hay :)

That's what I'm hoping, plus both the spring greens and parsley were a bit sub-standard but all I could get. The thinly-sliced carrot had gone when I went back, so I have done the same with another bit. I will slice some spring greens super-thin tonight. I don't think it's time to panic yet, but I'm definitely keeping a watchful eye. Even more watchful than normal, I mean. :oops:

I would definately get his teeth checked, Tinkerbell wasn't eating as much as usual when she had problems.

Second bit of carrot has gone, and he had a token nibble of his greens. He's out in the run now and seems full of beans. He has been off spring greens before, so it could be just he doesn't like these ones. I'll get him some rocket tomorrow if I can - he usually likes that.

You said he was eating grass in another post. That's really great because it's grass and hay that they really need and that grind their teeth down. :)

Oh poor Spenser:( I really hope he is back to normal very soon. Hopefully it's just an off day and tomorrow he will be back to his usual self.

Sending nomming vibes to Spenser. My lot can be fussy sometimes - they won't eat Burns dandelion they have to have organic dandelion

Thanks for the vibes. I have just been out to the hutch, and I think he has eaten some greens. The fact that he is nomming hay, grass and pellets is reassuring. I have sliced some carrot and broccoli very small and will take it out soon. I think he is probably just being a fuss-pot as he is his usual cheeky self.

A message from B-Lo.....

"Spenser, Aunty Ruth says eat your greens!"

I have just conveyed some finely chopped broccoli (from a different piece of broccoli than the one that was rejected last night) to the hutch. He hopped straight into his bedroom. :roll:

Back