• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy 1st Gotcha Day Starbuck!

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
We adopted Starbuck and Fay a year ago today (there is a separate thread about Fay).

Here is Starbuck's story:

We discovered Starbuck in the RU Rabbits in Need Section. Starbuck was a deaf male of unknown age. He had been found as a stray and taken to a vets practice, where the lady we adopted him from worked. She had taken him in and looked after him, but was not able to keep him. They do not know where he came from or why he was dumped. He had not been neutered so his fosterer had him done and also had her suspicions about his hearing confirmed by the vet. The kind fosterer could not keep Starbuck but I know that it was very hard for her to let this lovely little man go. We knew Starbuck was deaf before we adopted him and that he had had a few problems with his eyes but that a tear duct flush and drops had helped with this in the past so it was just a case of looking out for it and taking him to the vets.

We had not had a deaf bunny before but were advised not to make sudden movements near his face, approach from the side, and that he might lunge if you quickly put your hands near his face. He did this quite a bit when he fist moved here and grunted as well, until we learnt exactly how to do it so as not to unsettle him. It is perhaps for this reason, particuarly as he was unneutered, and if living with kids, that some cruel person let him go :evil::evil: However, THEY are the ones that have missed out as he is the most loveable, dopey, skittish, and funny little man, and has truly lit up our lives. Not a day goes by when he doesnt make us laugh or smile.

Anyway, we tried to bond Starbuck with Fay but it didnt work out for various reasons. Starbuck is still currently a single housebunny but we give him plenty of attention while we are at home. We adopted a male for Fay and my husband has had to do a lot of work on building them a home, but I am working on the idea of adopting a girly for Starbuck. Not least because hopefully she would help keep his eyes clean.

Starbuck continues to have weepy eyes. He has had x-rays, flushes and drops but it continues, despite him not having the worst tooth roots or tear ducts the vet has seen. We keep his eyes clean and try to prevent them getting sore with vaseline. Starbuck is a regular dental bunny and we take him for conscious dentals at our local vets. We are very lucky that we have this option and I am very proud of him for being so brave with them. It means that when he gets back home he can go straight to eating his hay or pellets. Starbuck has taught us all about looking out for the signs of dental problems, and that enabled us to have the confidence to adopt Kenco for Fay, as Kenco is a dental bunny with bad tooth problems, and is also an older bun and had been in rescue for about a year, so it was nice to know we could give him a home, and create a new space in the rescue for Tracy.

Starbuck is so gentle and lets us snuggle right up to him and fuss him for hours - usually only if he has all paws on the ground though. He can be grumpy though and usually makes us laugh by playing in and out of his curtains. He is a bit of a hustler for treats - one is never enough in Starbuck's books and he doesnt understand why he cant have one more!

We know we sometimes have to take you to boarding and to the vets Starbuck, but we hope you know how much we love you, and that you will always be safe with us.

Starbuck2.jpg

b65c98b0.jpg

3ae8848e.jpg

85912482.jpg

6f86f064.jpg

BunniesMay2010074.jpg

53f0e588.jpg

DSCF6744.jpg

DSCF5745.jpg

DSCF6723.jpg

What a handsome fellow! :love: He certainly has an interesting story, well done for giving it a happy ending. :D

I have such a HUGE soft spot for him as he was the rabbit I wanted to adopt to be bonded with Grim. But just after I asked about him Grim became really ill and I didn't know if he would make it, so didn't want to adopt him a friend. I love that he's so happy now and I have Samus so all is good. :)

Thank you everyone, I am glad you think he is handsome, being a black bunny it can sometimes be hard to get photos of him that come out well, but I loved all these of him. Shows off his funny little personality, I hope :)

I have such a HUGE soft spot for him as he was the rabbit I wanted to adopt to be bonded with Grim. But just after I asked about him Grim became really ill and I didn't know if he would make it, so didn't want to adopt him a friend. I love that he's so happy now and I have Samus so all is good. :)

Thank you, thats very kind of you, sorry Grim was poorly but glad you have Samus. We have had THE talk again now about adopting a wifey bun for Starbuck so hopefully we will be able to make things complete for him soon. Thats the only thing I feel we are letting him down on at the moment and it makes me sad.

Being a deaf bunny I am not sure how well he will bond but I hope it will be possible with the right girl.

Thank you everyone. Yeah Starby does look like Castiel :)

I like to think that all the agouti lops and the black lops are cousins :love:

Thank you, thats very kind of you, sorry Grim was poorly but glad you have Samus. We have had THE talk again now about adopting a wifey bun for Starbuck so hopefully we will be able to make things complete for him soon. Thats the only thing I feel we are letting him down on at the moment and it makes me sad.

Being a deaf bunny I am not sure how well he will bond but I hope it will be possible with the right girl.

I guess you would have to find somebun timid who wouldn't over power him. Or somebun who is confident and looks after him. I think he looks very happy anyway, with or without a friend. After all he has you. :)

Back