• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

Snowy1997

Young Bun
My rabbit is a female and has been spayed and my sisters rabbit is a boy and is going to get neuted. Once he is done is there any ways you can advise would be best so eventually they can go in the same hutch. At the moment we have a 2 tier one and there is stairs leading from the bottom to the top. We have blocked it off for now but when they have both been done we want them to get along. Is there a way you suggest would increase the chances of them getting along?

Please Reply

Thanks.

It is best to wait a couple of weeks after the boy has been neutered to give him time to heal and for his hormones to settle. When introducing them it is important to do it in an area where none of them have been before so the territory is neutral. Ideally they should stay in the neutral area for at least a few days with close supervision and if everything goes ok then they can be moved into the hutch. The hutch should be thoroughly cleaned to take away their scent so that they won't be territorial when they go back in. Vinegar is good for cleaning toilet areas and to neutralise their scent. Chasing and humping is normal during bonding but if there is any full on aggression they should be separated straight away.
If you are not confident about bonding them yourself there might be a rescue in your area that could bond them for you for a donation :)

You're off to a good start and doing all the right things in preparation.

I have an article on my website (link in my sig) called 'bonding and bonded bunnies' which should tell you a lot of info and give you a lot of tips for bonding.

Another option would be to use the search function and search for bonding, especially posts by The Duchess and Janice- ARC

Back