• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit has been given a hood after she has been spayed.

Snowy1997

Young Bun
hi
My female rabbit has been given a hood to wear as she has been nipping her wound where the surgery to place when she got spayed.

Can anyone suggest what food would be good for her to recover and she has just done a bit of diareah is this ok and what does it mean?

Has your rabbit been given any pain relief and have you been given any pain relief to give her at home over the next few days?
Chewing the wound is often a sign of pain.

I would not advise a collar in a rabbit unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. The wound should be correctly closed and if necessary abdominal bandaging/wrapping can be used in place of a collar.

Diarrhoea is potentially very serious in a rabbit, however, it is also quite rare, are you sure it was not just soft malformed caecotrophs she was passing instead? This is because with a buster collar on she will be unable to reach her bottom to consume these normally as she would without a collar on. I would remove the collar for supervised periods of time at least.

Please make sure she can access her water bottle/bowl WITH collar on - dehydration is a worry with these collars as some buns can't reach their water either.

Your vet should have provided you with Critical Care or Recovery syringe feed to give her if she is not self-eating. If they have not done so then you need to contact them and request this.
If she is not passing any normal droppings at all and/or not self-eating and it has been over 12-24 hours since her spay then she needs to a see a vet today for more pain relief and some fluids given under the skin. She may also need some gut motility medication. :wave:

Back