• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long haird piggy advice please....

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Am I the only person with an incredibly smelly long haired piggy - the hair around her butt is covered in wee. I've tried to trim it and will take some more off tomorrow - is that what you do or do you think its somehow my fault??!! :shock: I bed them inside on inco pad and fleece. They have hay in the places where they lie too. Was wondering is it the bedding - is Penelope getting the chance to lie in her pee longer before it seeps through the fleece? Would hay all over be better? But then Hazel the short haired piggy is fine, so it mustn't be the bedding....? Anyone else had this prob? Any advice?? :?

My 2 sheltie girls are exactly the same, yet my peruvian boar is fine. I think it's a girl thing. With mine I trim the hair really really short around the back of the girls so they can't wee on it, I never trim Mickey. I don't think it's the bedding, you just need to keep the hair short and give them regular baths although that is impossible this time of the year if they live outside.

I have a long haired girlie pig and have exactly the same problem. Mine have quite an unusual set up I think with a large C&C pen with towels n fleeces and the two hutches attached so they have somewhere enclosed which is filled with auboise and hay.

I bath Harley fairly regularly and then while she is wet, I trim the hair round her bottom(this reminds me that I need to do it again tomorrow!) She ends up looking fairly comical as she looks like a long haired pig from the front and a short haired pig round the back.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any other solutions as it isnt very pleasant picking her up when she is wet!!

My 2 sheltie girls are exactly the same, yet my peruvian boar is fine. I think it's a girl thing. With mine I trim the hair really really short around the back of the girls so they can't wee on it, I never trim Mickey. I don't think it's the bedding, you just need to keep the hair short and give them regular baths although that is impossible this time of the year if they live outside.

Thanks for that! I'm glad to know it's nothing out of the ordinary! I'm such a paranoid pet mummy!! Thanks. Nice piggies by the way!!

trim the hair around the bottom, and bath, just a bottom bath will be fine dont have to bath all over which means they dry faster in this weather, if you do keep pigs outside make sure they are totally dry before putting back outside, damp is more harmfull to pigs than cold. You can also use the human Batiste Dry Shampoo on piggys which cuts down on the amount of bottom baths :) sadly some pigs just seem to not want to move and lie in there pee quite happyly :lol:

Sorry for butting in on the thread but my first pets are guinea pigs i have a herd of Swiss and Rex the bunnys were for my hubby but i :love: them all to bits :D

I have a long haired girlie pig and have exactly the same problem. Mine have quite an unusual set up I think with a large C&C pen with towels n fleeces and the two hutches attached so they have somewhere enclosed which is filled with auboise and hay.

I bath Harley fairly regularly and then while she is wet, I trim the hair round her bottom(this reminds me that I need to do it again tomorrow!) She ends up looking fairly comical as she looks like a long haired pig from the front and a short haired pig round the back.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any other solutions as it isnt very pleasant picking her up when she is wet!!

Thats a good idea though - trim when wet, that would be easier. Must do that tomorrow. I'll think of you trimming your guinea pig tomorrow, whilst I'm trimming mine!!

I have two boars that get a bit wee stained around their back ends. I keep the fur short by cutting it and bath them in gorgeouse guineas shampoo.

Someone at a show told me that with long haired piggies you can roll up the fur then put kitchen roll and an elastic round it to stop the fur getting damaged/dirty

trim the hair around the bottom, and bath, just a bottom bath will be fine dont have to bath all over which means they dry faster in this weather, if you do keep pigs outside make sure they are totally dry before putting back outside, damp is more harmfull to pigs than cold. You can also use the human Batiste Dry Shampoo on piggys which cuts down on the amount of bottom baths :) sadly some pigs just seem to not want to move and lie in there pee quite happyly :lol:

Sorry for butting in on the thread but my first pets are guinea pigs i have a herd of Swiss and Rex the bunnys were for my hubby but i :love: them all to bits :D

Your not butting in! Thanks for the input!! :wave:

Someone at a show told me that with long haired piggies you can roll up the fur then put kitchen roll and an elastic round it to stop the fur getting damaged/dirty

thats true its done on in coat long haired show pigs, but to be honest in non show pigs its not worth the hassle as the wraps have to be taken out and the hair brushed daily and moved slightly so the coat doesnt break, as a break in the coat ends the showing of that pig, most pet long haired are trimmed up (cliped) for the pigs comfort and owners :)

Well I'm just back from the piggy people forum and the general concensus (cant spell that) is that you just trim the hair!! I'll be giving Penelope a short back and sides tomorrow!!

Yes regular baths and trimming would be my suggestions too. I do remember reading in a guinea pig book that show people who need the hair to be long wrap it up in rags to keep it away from 'that' area

Back