• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

His voice has broken at age 5 ?????

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
No this isn't general chat, this is Thumper.
He's always been quite vocal, with quiet musical noises like the North Country Uh huh = yes.
He's just had a big caecal emptying session, & his voice has changed overnight. It's like he's swallowed a swazzel, more like a buzz. No probs with swallowing, breathing, happy as larry. Any ideas folks?

Doesn't anyone have any idea why my bun suddenly sounds like Mr. Punch quacking, but is otherwise very well?

I'm sorry Judy, I really don't know. I read earlier but had no suggestions.

Does he do it at a specific time?

Sorry no idea :?

Not dental related is it?

ETA wondering if rabbits can get laryngitis? Do they even have a rudimentary larynx?? :? My rabbit anatomy needs work :oops:

Last edited:
I'm sorry Judy, I really don't know. I read earlier but had no suggestions.

Does he do it at a specific time?

He's always made soft musical Uh Huh grunting noises whenever he's playing indoors & on entering a room I'm in. He never makes it outside although he's doing the same things. It just changed overnight to a Mr. Punch quack! He seems to use the muscles just below his rib cage at the side to do it.
In himself he's the best he's been for a year.

I'm not worried about him. I can't imagine why it's happened. It sounds so bloomin' odd when he quacks!

Sorry no idea :?

Not dental related is it?

ETA wondering if rabbits can get laryngitis? Do they even have a rudimentary larynx?? :? My rabbit anatomy needs work :oops:

I reckon they must have a larynx + vocal cords of some description, a bunny scream travels 1/4 mile clearly. He's made mewing noises too when I cut his nails too short for comfort but not enough to bleed.:cry:

I've booked him in for a dental next Fri. but more cos I'm changing him to a dry diet. He's still drinking OK without gulping, which is the 1st. things to go off when he needs a dental.

I've really no idea, but didn't want to read and run.
Maybe some dehydration, or something irritating the vocal chords- much more your department more than mine I'm afraid.
Tippy quacked at me once when I was trying to retrieve her from behind the sofa- it's the funniest sound ever xx

Maybe some dehydration, or something irritating the vocal chords- much more your department more than mine I'm afraid.
Tippy quacked at me once when I was trying to retrieve her from behind the sofa- it's the funniest sound ever xx

We've had a proper 'Woof' here from Nino :lol: I think Mr PL literally wet himself! :lol:

I think that's likely, after his big GI upheaval & reduction in fluid intake with less fresh food. He's been a little rascal & wee'd mainly on his towel today, so I don't know how much volume is down by.

Thank goodness someone else knows what I mean by "quack". I didn't half wake up fast when I heard it! We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Erm...I'd have thought it's obvious!!:roll: He wants to start doing puppet shows! You have the Judy, so he decided to be Punch!

I think you'll make a great team, travelling all over the country! :lol:

maybe a blockage has shifted somewhere,

or hes spent so much time listening to you hes found another tone ???

i know with our cats we had a semi feral girl she never said a word until the last of her children died, all of a sudden she started snoring ( and i mean enough to wake you :shock: ) and crying in the night

sorry havent a clue, bigs somtimes does this, i love the soft grunty noise they do you can feel through the ribs

Thanks everyone for your ideas especially the humour :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
It hadn't passed my notice that the "team" was Thumps & Judy either!
Teddy's Mum I'd considered 2 options, which need honing up a bit.

One was to pad myself out into a large Mama style character.
"No bun gives me any stick.
Enter Thumps, charges & does one of his best antimagpie sprays. Runs off cackling "That's the way to do it!" etc.

The other was to get him a "Daffy duck" costume with just the ears sticking out!

His voice is almost back to normal today unless he gets very excited, when the quacks come out! On the other hand I've got a slight sore throat.:?:?:?

Areia, I also had a severely traumatised cat who only became vocal when the old one died. He made short quiet sounds to himself, not the sounds one normally associates with a cat. He was an absolute darling.

Erm I think I'd better exit this thread before I'm accused of doing strange things to my pets! Whether cat or bunny lots of folk say "OOoo they're just like a little dog" :?:?:?

Back