• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding with my bunnies (again)

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

Hiya

I've posted about this before and had lots of good advice so I'm hoping there'll be some more to come. :D

Since bonding Dizzi and Rascal they've got absolutely no interest in me whatsoever (except as a food source). Before bonding they enjoyed a good fuss (although have never liked being picked up) but now its got to the stage where I can't even stroke/fuss them ..... as soon as my hand gets near them (if it doesn't have food in it), they scarper!!

Its awful not being able to even touch them!! :(

I don't think they're scared of me as if I go and sit in the aviary with them and if I have food with me, they're all over me and will clamber up my legs/front to get to food ........ they just don't want to know me if I haven't got food in my hand!!

As soon as they've finished whatever treats I have with me - they're totally uninterested in me!!

Any ideas?? Not even being able to fuss my own bunnies is really starting to get to me now.

There must be people out there who've won over uninterested bunnies before???

I've sat in the aviary with them and read a book, totally ignoring them .... they'll come and sit near but if I put my hand out to touch them - they're off!!

I thought they liked nose rubs (well, they used to prior to bonding)!

Can anyone help??

Thanks, Jo

PS/ sorry for the ramble, its just really upsetting me at the mo!

Aw, I do feel for you. :( Spenser definitely regards me as a food source, and now that he is spending less time in his run he is even less inclined to want petted. Have you been on Sky-O's website? There's some really good stuff on there. With Spenser, I've also noticed the mummy = food mentality has been reinforced by the introduction of treats. He tends to grab the treat off me then rush away to the far corner of his hutch to enjoy it without having me trying to stroke him.

I think you have to try and not see this as a personal 'attack' on you.

What this actually shows is that they have found their best friend and that bonding them with one of their own kind has allowed them to experience a more natural and sociable life. In effect, by bonding them, this was exactly what you wanted for the pair of them.

I'm thinking maybe its a time to start to look to accept them for who they are, as opposed to what you want them to be, or who they were previously.

I would hope though, that when they have been bonded a while, they will start to come round again more, but that doesn't always happen.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear though, sorry.

Aw, I do feel for you. :( Spenser definitely regards me as a food source, and now that he is spending less time in his run he is even less inclined to want petted. Have you been on Sky-O's website? There's some really good stuff on there. With Spenser, I've also noticed the mummy = food mentality has been reinforced by the introduction of treats. He tends to grab the treat off me then rush away to the far corner of his hutch to enjoy it without having me trying to stroke him.

Hiya, thanks for your reply. Yep my two do this too ..... as soon as I give them a treat they run off to eat it and then will come back for another, then run off whereas previously they'd just sit next to me eating it!

I've read and printed off Sky-O's bonding info ... its really interesting. I've tried a few ideas but nothing seems to be working.

It may just be patience patience patience which is fine, but they seem to be getting worse rather than better! :cry:

I think you have to try and not see this as a personal 'attack' on you.

What this actually shows is that they have found their best friend and that bonding them with one of their own kind has allowed them to experience a more natural and sociable life. In effect, by bonding them, this was exactly what you wanted for the pair of them.

I'm thinking maybe its a time to start to look to accept them for who they are, as opposed to what you want them to be, or who they were previously.

I would hope though, that when they have been bonded a while, they will start to come round again more, but that doesn't always happen.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear though, sorry.

Thanks Sky ........ I was beginning to wonder if I should just accept that they like me but love each other more and the fact that they don't seem to 'need' me now is a good sign that they're well bonded and content with each other (esp after the 'fighting' incident a few weeks back).

They're very happy bunnies and seem to enjoy life so I guess I should just be happy with that and accept they're never gonna be 'snugglers'!!

I can't help feeling that having had them since they were 8 weeks old, I must have done something wrong for them not to be interested! (sigh)

I can't help feeling that having had them since they were 8 weeks old, I must have done something wrong for them not to be interested! (sigh)

Definitely not.

Actually, you've done everything right because, despite your needs, you got them their own friend. These are rabbits and you can't eradicate the rabbit instinct from them and that shows with them preferring an animal of their own species.

Their actions show they are friends with you, no cared of you, like you, etc, but they are devoted to each other. Bonding does morph and change and I would expect that when the 'novelty' of each other has worn off that it might shift again with regards to you, but if it doesn't, then that's not reflection on you, that's just them.

Definitely not.

Actually, you've done everything right because, despite your needs, you got them their own friend. These are rabbits and you can't eradicate the rabbit instinct from them and that shows with them preferring an animal of their own species.

Their actions show they are friends with you, no cared of you, like you, etc, but they are devoted to each other. Bonding does morph and change and I would expect that when the 'novelty' of each other has worn off that it might shift again with regards to you, but if it doesn't, then that's not reflection on you, that's just them.

Thanks, that does make me feel a bit better. I'm really glad that they seem to be so happy with each other, it used to break my heart that I'd had to separate them in the first place ...!!

I love watching them interact with each other, and like you say, who knows, maybe they'll decide, in time that they want to interact with me too ...... I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see how it goes.

Either way I enjoy the time I spend in the aviary with them .... just watching them playing and being typical rabbits!!

I think I must just get a bit jealous of those who have snuggly buns! Mind, them being outside probably doesn't help. If they were indoor buns they'd probably interact more ..... but definitely wouldn't be as happy as they currently are, they love it outside, so I'll do what's best for them and just stick with it and see how we get on!

Thanks again for your replies.

Jo x

Thanks, that does make me feel a bit better. I'm really glad that they seem to be so happy with each other, it used to break my heart that I'd had to separate them in the first place ...!!

I love watching them interact with each other, and like you say, who knows, maybe they'll decide, in time that they want to interact with me too ...... I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and see how it goes.

Either way I enjoy the time I spend in the aviary with them .... just watching them playing and being typical rabbits!!

I think I must just get a bit jealous of those who have snuggly buns! Mind, them being outside probably doesn't help. If they were indoor buns they'd probably interact more ..... but definitely wouldn't be as happy as they currently are, they love it outside, so I'll do what's best for them and just stick with it and see how we get on!

Thanks again for your replies.

Jo x

The 'no cared' in my post was supposed to be 'not scared' :roll: sorry.

I would say spending time in the aviary is still a good thing to do. You can still benefit from them even if they are not lovey lovey with you.

I'm wondering whether there is still some untrust lingering after the vets visits and such, so I wonder if you holding a piece of food in one hand, and not letting go, and stroking them with the other might help them build up confidence in you and your intentions.

I think them moving outside has probably had a huge impact too because, as well as getting a friend, they now are also more self sufficient which will mean they grow away from you.

I can relate to the jealousy, and it sucks, but remember that what you're doing is being the very best over you can be, and that is something to be very proud of.

Hi, i do feel for you :(
At first my Max didnt want to be touched atall. I spent alot of time just 'with' him, lying on the floor letting him explore me and didnt try to stroke him atall so that he began to realise i wasnt a threat and felt comfortable being near me.
I then gradually started to give him little strokes when i fed him or gave him a treat so that he came to c them as a positive thing. He now accepts strokes much better :D Hes not a snuggle bun yet but i hope over time he might become one :)
Having said that my Mimi doesnt like to be touched atall and I suspect she never will. She was abused before i got her though so shes abit different. However through not trying to stroke her shes happy to sit or flop with me and climb on me when i have food or she is scared :)
Good luck :wave:

Awww thanks Sky and Gemmapookie I feel better now and will carry on spending as much time as I can with them.

Will also try the holding onto a treat and stroking them idea too, thanks!

Yeah that was one of my other 'wonders' .... whether they see me as the nasty woman who takes them to that vet place where scary things happen! (I was just about to say that there's no more vets trips in the offing but remembered that their booster vacs are due at the beginning of December!!!).

I'll just have to be more patient (not one of my strong points! lol).

Right, off back out to sit with them for a bit until their snoozle time!

Thanks again :D x

ok so holding onto the treat didn't really work - they just hopped off! lol

I did sit in there with them and put their pellets on either side of me, they came over, sat and ate next to me, even put their front paws on me whilst having a good sniff but as soon as I put my hand near them, they scarpered!

So, next plan is to just sit in there with them each day and not attempt to touch them or anything, just let them get used to me being there but not wanting to 'do' stuff to them ........ I think they associate me with grooming. messing, bum checking etc etc and so maybe think if I want to touch them I must be up to something!?!?

How long do you reckon a decent amount of time is to spend just sitting with them each day?

Currently I spend about half an hour with them before work (mostly cleaning out etc) and then another 30-45 mins in an evening just faffing. Would I be best spending the evening time - say an hour - just sitting rather than 'doing'??

thanks, jo x

ok so holding onto the treat didn't really work - they just hopped off! lol

I did sit in there with them and put their pellets on either side of me, they came over, sat and ate next to me, even put their front paws on me whilst having a good sniff but as soon as I put my hand near them, they scarpered!

So, next plan is to just sit in there with them each day and not attempt to touch them or anything, just let them get used to me being there but not wanting to 'do' stuff to them ........ I think they associate me with grooming. messing, bum checking etc etc and so maybe think if I want to touch them I must be up to something!?!?

How long do you reckon a decent amount of time is to spend just sitting with them each day?

Currently I spend about half an hour with them before work (mostly cleaning out etc) and then another 30-45 mins in an evening just faffing. Would I be best spending the evening time - say an hour - just sitting rather than 'doing'??

thanks, jo x

I think personally, sitting just 'watching' for an hour and letting them come to you would be the best bet Jo :wave:

From my perspective, i found that sitting and just letting them come to you, without sitting there moving your hand towards them etc works quite well.

Not trying to thread hijack, but my experience was this;

Biscuit: used to try and stroke him all the time, he'd just hop off. Once he became a free-range bunny, we didnt get much time 'with' him, he just hopped around. Then i found RU.

I sat and laid on my stomach on the living room floor, letting him come and find me. Within a couple of days, he was more than happy hopping up on my back and licking my neck / head / jumper or t-shirt. Then i started sitting, so he'd hop up on my lap and explore, sniffing and licking away and occasionally nipping, just to test surfaces, but i didnt mind that.

After about 3 weeks of doing that he would happily allow us both to give him a good stroke / nose rub / scratch behind the ears.

Ginger: none of the above, she's just crazed and asks for cuddles and to be picked up :roll: She's not a rabbit, im sure of it :lol:

Just experience.

I think, in all seriousness, now they are bonded together, they do enjoy each others company a lot more, as they talk tot he same language. Mummy just brings food and treats and tries to groom / check for health reasons, which to them is no fun. They might just prefer each other, rather than you now, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just means they want to be together! Not so much fun for us maybe, but enjoy the fact they are happy :)

So now i've totally over posted, im off to make coffee! :wave:

Thanks Graham ....... will give this a go. I've been sitting in the aviary with them for most of the weekend - did think about lying on the floor but alas it was a bit too cold ....... might have to dig out some old carpet from the loft and lie on that - and hope that the neighbours don't see!! lol

OH has made a kind of tunnel thing for the bunnies to run through and sit on (made of wood) and Dizzi seems to like to sit near me, on top of the tunnel (which makes her kind of my chest height) and y'day she went to sleep there! Whilst she was in a sleep mood she let me give her nose rubs, which was very sweet!

I sat in there reading my book and after about 10 mins of me 'ignoring' them they were all over me, trying to dig my coat, putting their front paws on my legs to have a good nosey, periscoping at the side of me for a good sniff etc etc ........ so I'll try and keep this up and see if we have any progress!

Having said that, FIL has been taken ill in hosp (silent heart attack) so I'll prob be up there visiting most evenings this week! Hopefully I'll get chance to spend some time with them tho!

Went out this morning expecting them to be in the hutch as it was -1 but no, they were sat in the middle of the aviary! Nutters!! I've put some treats in their 'bedroom' to see if I can tempt them in there, I do worry about them out there in the night ..... also thinking of maybe getting an outdoor heater of some sort!!!

Oh the things we do! lol

Spenser seems to like the coldest and draughties bit of the hutch. I made him a den out of cardboard box, but he had pulled one of the walls down this morning. Do you have a problem with their water freezing? I can't believe this is happening in October.

As to 'play', Spenser is an independent spirit and I've learned to accept it. He will allow me to pet him, but only if (a) he is in the mood and (b) all four paws are very firml on the ground.

Spenser seems to like the coldest and draughties bit of the hutch. I made him a den out of cardboard box, but he had pulled one of the walls down this morning. Do you have a problem with their water freezing? I can't believe this is happening in October.

As to 'play', Spenser is an independent spirit and I've learned to accept it. He will allow me to pet him, but only if (a) he is in the mood and (b) all four paws are very firml on the ground.

Thanks, yeah they too seem to like the most cold parts of their run! They have their water in a bowl, I have tried them with a bottle but they don't seem to drink as much from it. Their water hasn't been frozen yet so far and this morning I put tepid water out for them, just in case!

They have a cardboard box full of hay in their run but they only use that to 'play' not to snuggle in!

I've been thinking about locking them in the hutch at night but I think that a) they WANT to be outside (otherwise, surely if they were cold they'd go into the bedroom) and

b) It would just traumatise them even more, me trying to round them up and get them in ever night!!

Eeeeh bless em eh!!

Back