• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Twinkle - Vets Today (Dental?)

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Twinkle has a vets appointment at 9.50am as I noticed her face on one side is all wet. Dental problems?

I am hoping this is easily sorted :(

vibes going out to twinkle hope its not too serious and she recovers well, my casper is 8 and recently went in for bad dental (he was wet near his eyes and mouth) and had GA and he came home the same day and was hopping around and eating now he eats everything, i know how it feels i was worrying all day, but you will be suprised of how strong these pets are :) lets us know how she gets on :wave:

vibes going out to twinkle hope its not too serious and she recovers well, my casper is 8 and recently went in for bad dental (he was wet near his eyes and mouth) and had GA and he came home the same day and was hopping around and eating now he eats everything, i know how it feels i was worrying all day, but you will be suprised of how strong these pets are :) lets us know how she gets on :wave:

Thank you. That has cheered me up. I slept badly last night as I was so worried. I nearly lost Twinkle in May this year due to stasis. I think she has had dental problems all her life and now they are getting to the point that is is very noticeable. She has always had a mucky bum and runny poops and I think that is due to pain and when she is trying to clean herself.

I just want her better :(

Well one for getting her seen so speedily :) Good luck for Monday. I've had some 'dodgy' bunnies have dentals with no problems, and hopefully Twinkle will have no problems with hers and will come back to you much more comfortable :)

Poor Twinkle :cry: Atleast you have a fab vet and you know it will all be sorted very soon. Hope Twinkle has a good munchie weekend to get her strength up for Monday. Vibes x

Well one for getting her seen so speedily :) Good luck for Monday. I've had some 'dodgy' bunnies have dentals with no problems, and hopefully Twinkle will have no problems with hers and will come back to you much more comfortable :)

thanks for your help last night :)

I have more Metacam for her to get her through till Monday. I did the right thing giving her some last night the vet said.

thanks for your help last night :)

I have more Metacam for her to get her through till Monday. I did the right thing giving her some last night the vet said.

You're very welcome. I'm glad the vet agreed with what you did- I know I certainly did but felt my hands were tied (you know how careful you have to be nowadays :roll:). That's good they gave you more too. Hopefully that will mean she has no problems from now until Monday and will be in the best possible condition for a dental.

Hope Twinkle has a reasonably comortable weekend. Is the mucky bum problem linked? Sending vibes. xx

She has had mucky bum on and off all her life. My old (rubbish) vet said some rabbits are just like that :roll: and never took it any further. I now know from here that mucky bum can be caused by dental problems. She is completely clean when on metacam, but as soon as she comes off she slowly goes downhill again.

Hope Twinkle has a reasonably comortable weekend. Is the mucky bum problem linked? Sending vibes. xx

It's very often a clinical sign of dental problems as Fluffiebunnie says.
If the mouth is sore then bun will not always consume their caecotrophs and hence they get discarded and often caked onto the rear end. :cry:

It's very often a clinical sign of dental problems as Fluffiebunnie says.
If the mouth is sore then bun will not always consume their caecotrophs and hence they get discarded and often caked onto the rear end. :cry:

Do you think it would be beneficial for Twinkle to be on Metacam daily for dental problems? If she were your rabbit would you want her on something? I worry that she is in pain every day and it is only when it gets really bad that I notice due to other problems (stasis, wet face).

Poor Twinkle :(

Not sure about the management of her pain with Metacam everyday, its so hard to tell when a bun is in pain. Im sure someone in tge know will post.

Just wanted to wish her a comfortable wkend and loads of vibes for Monday xxxxxxxx

Do you think it would be beneficial for Twinkle to be on Metacam daily for dental problems? If she were your rabbit would you want her on something? I worry that she is in pain every day and it is only when it gets really bad that I notice due to other problems (stasis, wet face).

It might be that if spurs are causing her a problem then she may not have those issues after this (until next time), however if its roots then that's a different board game and I wonder if maybe having an x-ray done on her face might be beneficial to tell you if its her roots or not.

I have one girl who has maintenance Metacam daily due to dental problems, so it may be an option.

It might be that if spurs are causing her a problem then she may not have those issues after this (until next time), however if its roots then that's a different board game and I wonder if maybe having an x-ray done on her face might be beneficial to tell you if its her roots or not.

I have one girl who has maintenance Metacam daily due to dental problems, so it may be an option.

She has had an x-ray done. This all started in May when she went into stasis. Old (rubbish) vet said PTS as the x-ray showed elongated tooth roots.

New (good) vet says no to PTS!! Sorted the stasis and she has been fine until now.

No not necessarily. I believe that medication should only be used when necessary for any patient and any species. Long-term metacam use carries risks and these risks are only worth it IMO when the benefits outweigh them. For example Nino's arthritis requires him to have daily pain relief in order to reduce the inflammatory response in his joints without which the pain would be constant and his quality of life would deteriorate quickly. By being on daily NSAID his livers and kidneys are at risk the longer he is on the medication, however, it is more likely his quality of life would deteriorate without them quicker than his livers/kidneys would fail. Both the drug long-term and his condition are life limiting - it is the one that is the least life limiting if you like.
Even so we attempt to use the MINIMUM dose required to obtain the necessary clinical effect.

Molar spurs are different - although they can be chronic and long term, their severity and presence fluctuates as you know, so there will be periods that Twinkle is spur free whilst they are growing back following a dental. It is best really to only use the NSAID's when the spurs have reached a point that they begin to cause dental pain and other issues... keeping medication to the minimum necessary to achieve the desired therapeutic effect - use as and when needed if you like.
What you may need to do is learn to spot the early signs of dental pain before they actually manifest as full on drooling and non-consumption of caecotrophs... if you can, not easy with a bunny at all. There will be subtle signs, Thumps does this with her bunny, i'm sure she would be willing to offer advice on what she looks for if you PM'd her. :):wave:

I don't have a dental bun so can't help with what to spot - but every bun is different and it can range from selective feeding to noisy drinking as the first signs with some.
Plus I know you have an excellent vet and I am CERTAIN he will be making the correct clincial decisions for Twinkle, you can trust him 100%. :D

ETA but if you are concerned then do talk to him about it :wave:

Back