• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about a Bunny :o(

clarebear

Mama Doe
I'm so worried about a bunny just down the road from me. I got a call this afternoon from a friend who told me there was a bunny living outside some houses, and that the people had let it go and didn't want it anymore :( Me and OH whizzed down in the car, and sure enough there was a little white bun sitting in the front garden! They had left out food and it seemed okay and looked healthy enough. I asked some kids who were playing in the street who it belonged to, and they showed me which house. I bravely knocked the door, and was told that the rabbit belonged to the lady the couple shared the house with (?)....they said it kept escaping from it's hutch...or possibly the dogs were pulling at the wire and letting it out(!:roll:). I asked if they knew whether the lady wanted the rabbit or not? They weren't sure, so I left my number and told them to call if she didn't. I haven't heard anything yet :( Apparently it's been outside the house for about a week now. I'm so worried for the poor little thing.....hope I get the call. Would rather she phoned if she doesn't want it anymore, I wouldn't make her feel guitly.....I don't think I will sleep tonight :(

If its just loose and could easily get our of the garden is there any reason why it couldnt escape and accidentally hop into your carrier?

Mmmmm maybe. There was no fence around the garden, it was just hopping around wherever, although it didn't seem to be going far from it's food! I thought about the poor little thing all night, especially when I heard the rain! :( Might have to drive round that way again today.

If i were you Id pop over again today to see if the 'owner' is in. If she doesnt let you take it call the RSPCA.
poor thing, i hope he can come home with you and be kept warm and safe xxxxxx

You can call the RSPCA and they can come and get it.

Another option might be to fill a carrier with hay and food and some bunny poo and see if it will go into your carry case.

Bit worried about just going and taking it, or calling the RSPCA now as I left my name and telephone number with them.

If you call the RSPCA you can just say you've seen a stray rabbit at X address. That's not anything relating to neglect, they will simply go and try and catch it and anyone passing by could have called them. If they think it was you you could pull the card of 'do you really think I would call the RSPCA when I've left my name and number with you guys and tried to help you?' and leave them to it.

That's true! We are going out later, so I think I will get OH to drive past and have a look. If it's still outside I will call the RSPCA.

Did you get the bunny?

I'd be concerned if it was just hopping around someones front garden. A fox or cat or anything could attack it :(

Please let us know how iccle bunster is!

Have been going round to see if the bunny is out over the weekend, but haven't seen it again. However I will drive round that way again today just incase. Hopefully the lady has put it back into it's hutch.

An update on the Bunny. Just called round to see if it was out on my way home......and it was. I have just phoned the RSPCA and reported it. I can't believe the poor thing was still out in the road. :censored: Hopefully I will hear back from them when they have been round there.

I would have picked it up personally. If they want the bun back then they have your number and you can take it back if they contact you. that way you can gfind out the full story too if you know what I mean. If they don;t contact you then at least bun is safe and warm....you'd have to decide what you were going to do withit though.

Hopefully the RSPCA will have been round and will let me know what happens. I just wouldn't have slept tonight if I hadn't done something. Now I just keep waiting for the phone to ring!

Hopefully the RSPCA will have been round and will let me know what happens. I just wouldn't have slept tonight if I hadn't done something. Now I just keep waiting for the phone to ring!

I really wouldn't hold your breathe - the RSPCA do not have a great reputation for doing anything with domestic rabbits recently - let alonne keeping in touch with the person who reported it.

Really? I hope they do go and check on it. I will go round again and see if it is still there in a few days. If it is I may just kidnap it!

My unofficial advice would be to kidnap it now and just forget about the RSPCA - the individuals are usually very well intentioned and nice but they have to attend to priorities first which unfortunately is things like dog fighting, seriously harmed animals etc etc. A stray/loosed bun is not a priority for them at all. If they do get around to going all they will do is knock at the door and tell the people its best to put it in a hutch and thats it. What kind of hutch and whether they do it is then up to the people concerned.

Back