• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toilet rolls ?

jubob

Mama Doe
Just found something interesting while looking on the web.

Cardboard Paper Towels and Toilet Paper Rolls: Kimberly-Clark, one of the manufacturers of paper towels and toilet paper warns that the adhesive used to attach the first sheet of paper towel to the cardboard core contains zinc. Allowing your pets to play / tear up these rolls could result in zinc toxicosis. Kimberly-Clark's statement regarding this adhesive says: "Although the core glue is safe for its intended use, it is not intended to be ingested. It is not food grade and does not meet indirect food contact regulations. Therefore, we cannot recommend that it be used with pets". Zinc toxicity is very serious and can potentially kill a parrot. Kidney damage, digestive upset,, feather plucking and increased water intake are all signs of zinc poisoning. Other symptoms include: vomiting, loss of appetite and larger than usual green droppings. Sudden death is another sign.

I don't think I will be giving Amber any more toilet rolls :shock:

Eeek :shock: thanks for the info our chihuahua loves to rip up toilet rolls - straight in the bin they go....although i do think pebbles will be upset about this :roll:

Back