• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Manuka honey

H Maughan

Mama Doe
I'm just looking into getting some for my bunny's abcess. I just wondered what everyone else used and which place is the cheapest to get it. I'm looking into the 25+ stuff and its quite pricey, not that I mind but I do like a good bargain :)

Helen xx

I've only ever used it for my doggies as an internal 'thing' for gut type issues - pancreatitis, gasto enteritis etc. It has always been brilliant. I've never used it as a topical ointment but it's supposed to be great for that too.

I've always bought mine from Holland and Barrett. Not necessarily because it's cheapest but it's the easiest place for me to get to :roll:

Nurses use it to repair wounds on people its amazing! Crazy pricey but thats mainly because it comes from New Zealand! Its amazing!

Manuka honey has been a godsend for us & the abscesses we've had with our bunnies - especially Libby's & Teddy's jaw abscesses :D

It's amazing stuff!!! :D

Great stuff, used to work in a healthfood shop, bear in mind the 3 major brands we sold actually all came from the same source! So as long as its properly certified get any brand. Buying bigger tubs really cuts the price.

Make sure you don't heat it though, heat destroys the antibacterial properties in the honey, also get the ones stored in DARK plastic or glass jars.

If you have any left over after a teaspoon a day helps your immune system, sterilizes your throat, soothes your stomach and is great for the skin!

My rescue bun Honey had abscesses treated with Manuka honey before I got her. It worked fantastic on her, clearing up really persistent abscesses.

Sounds great! I'll definitely be popping out to buy some tomorrow for Bebe :) I just want to get her right and this is certainly worth a shot.

Shall I just fill the wound with it after cleaning?
Does it kinda solidify when its used?
And is it easy to remove when i need to flush her wound out again?

I feel so awful having to do this with her every few hours during the day :( She just doesn't know whats happening at all.

Helen xx

What other bunny ailments can this be used for? I remember seeing stuff about abcess treatment before. Just wondering if its worth investing in some for the bunny meds box if it has other uses :) sorry to hijack!

I initially bought Manuka Honey to use to Kermits face abscess, but since then i have used it on any cuts and scuffs that Inca gets, she is prone to getting her feet cut.
I just put the honey on the wound and then put a wee sock on her until it goes to work :)

The honey with a high UMF is quite thick, i apply it with a cotton bud, then kinda twist the cotton bud to get the honey off into the abscess.

I really do find it a miracle cure, it is fantastic.

Oh, and the one i bought for kermit, i bought it about 2 years ago and i am still using it and it works great. I just store it in a dark box :)

It's wonderful stuff. Used to be used on people with leg ulcers, but we had to stop because it wasn't sterilized.:roll:
My only other comment is that it has to be changed daily.

It really it wonderful stuff.

As well as abscesses if have seen it used on degloving injuries with great results. I used it on my mother when she had the beginnings of a bed sore and that cleared up in no time. I also use it on cat scratches / bites after thorough cleaning and haven't had one go septic yet :)

Back