• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Poo

Tinybub

New Kit
Hi all

So last night Alfie had his first bit of carrot and it has really up set his tummy!

He has really runny poo and i think i heard him pass wind......I have given him alot of hay to eat and i wont be giving him anymore carrot or pellets and just keep him on hay for a while.

Have i done the right thing?

Any advice??

How old is he and is he drinking well ?

Is he passing any normal poo now ?

Is he bright and active within himself, not lethargic/hunched up/cold to the touch ?

How old is he and is he drinking well ?

Is he passing any normal poo now ?

Is he bright and active within himself, not lethargic/hunched up/cold to the touch ?

He is coming up for 3 months old. He is starting to pass poo with some shape but its still very soft and dark.

He is bright and active but i have put in back in his cage now for a bit of rest. He is drinking extremely well and i just filled up his water bottle and he is drinking it all! He isnt cold to the touch and isnt lethargic at all.

I would keep a very close eye on him and restrict his food to just hay for 24 hours.
A probiotic would be helpful if you have some.

A few Blackberry leaves (well washed) would be OK to give him, they can help settle his tum.

If he continues to pass diarrhoea over the next few hours then I'd get him checked over by your Vet this afternoon/evening. Diarrhoea in a Rabbit can become serious very quickly, especially in a youngster.

He has settled down now. He has been drinking ALOT and eating hay like never before and his poos although still dark in colour are formed and round and he has perked up more so i think he should be ok however ill be keeping a close eye on him for the rest of the day.

Thank you for your advice :D

Back