• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recyclable letter for local press.

As usual, the situation with unwanted bunnies gets worse. I get so angry when I see the local 'petting farm' and PAH in the paper all the time with baby rabbits.:evil:

We have had in the most gorgeous little bunny that was a 'stray'. I say that in the loosest way as he was probably chucked out for his ability to bite:roll:. Of course he was unneutered and sadly he managed to hospitalise one of my volunteers who needed stitches and a tetanus!!! Yet, sadly people go out and buy these poor creatures for CHILDREN all the bloomin time.:evil::evil:...and they are encouraged to by these places that bloomin well breed them. Well anyway, I got angry and sent letter forthwith.

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/news/Pets-big-responsibility/article-2734565-detail/article.html

Feel free to recycle it and change for your own purposes for your own local papers. No point in reinventing the wheel.

If I find time I might amend it to make a press release.

If link doesn't work:
I READ with interest that Pets at Home are giving school children advice on "responsible" pet ownership (Post, October 1).

If this were truly the case why is it we have so many pets, particularly rabbits, that have been bought on impulse at such shops?

Time and time again we pick up the pieces from pet shops and we are constantly astounded at what terrible advice some people are given on basic pet care.

I believe there is no reason why shops like Pets at Home can't vaccinate all of the rabbits they sell or give what I would call 'proper' advice on the importance of neutering.

If pet shops truly cared for the animals then, I believe, they would carry out home checks to see where the animals leaving their care would end up.

Unfortunately with some pet shops, as well as some breeders, money and profits seem to be a higher priority than animal welfare.

We often get in animals that are wrongly sexed by pet shops and the inevitable happens!

Whenever people adopt animals from our rescue centre we always make sure they are vaccinated, neutered and we carry out a home check. We lose money on every single animal we re-home and that is because we genuinely care for animals and want them to go to the best possible homes.

It is with sadness that while I write this letter my partner has just had to refuse another five animals a space because we haven't got the resources to take them in at present.

Where these animals will end up is anyone's guess but we, and other rescue centres, can only do our best.

Rescue centres like ours are simply stretched to the limit at the moment and the situation with unwanted animals gets worse every year.

Our lifestyles have become full of disposable commodities and I fear that, sadly, pets are now falling into this category.

Pet ownership is a huge responsibility and people must learn that unlike the old TV or unfashionable sofa we can't throw out a pet.

We tire of people's lame excuses but with the trend of people buying pets on a whim and on impulse then we are constantly bombarded with phone calls from people wanting to give up their pets.

These are the reasons why I and other rescue centres across Nottingham are angered by pet shops and what I believe to be the lack of responsibility from some towards the care of animals.

BETH HEWIS Brinsley Animal Rescue Hobsic Close, Brinsley

Back