• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Disinfectant. What do you use or recommend?

rabbitapril

Mama Doe
I bought some F10 a few years ago to use in a nebuliser, i have been diluting and using this but its used up now and i cant remember where i got it. Just wondering what other people use.

You dilute it hugely with water to use it. It lasts a long time so it may look expensive for the big bottles, the smaller bottles last a long time themselves.

I bought some F10 a few years ago to use in a nebuliser, i have been diluting and using this but its used up now and i cant remember where i got it. Just wondering what other people use.

I use Virkon to disinfect hutches, runs, litter trays, cat litter trays, etc. I buy a big tub on-line - expensive but tub lasts for ages- don't need very much to make up a squirty bottle.

Last edited:
I use vet level disinfectants too, either Trigene or ConficleanII. Both are widely avialable and are diluted before use making them very good value. They are highly effective. I only use Virkon in extreme cases due to cost (can't keep it once made up) and because you normally have to rinse I think.

We use to use this in our nebuliser to nebulise Hope but we don't use it now as we have been told it irritates them.

I use F10 too, I disinfect my shed, hutches and all equipment once a week with it. I bought the 200ml bottle a year ago and still have more than half left :)

I'm looking for a new one and am interested in F10 or Ark-Klense. Have to say I am more inclined towards Ark-Klense as it says it is recommended against EC and other bacteria.

I can see why rescues use disinfectants, or people with rabbits who are temporary i.e. fostering, but dont see why it would be necessary to disinfect otherwise. Am I wrong?

I would worry about unnecessary chemicals around my bunnies. Mine are house bunnies so I dont know what I would disinfect anyway as no hutches.

I can see why rescues use disinfectants, or people with rabbits who are temporary i.e. fostering, but dont see why it would be necessary to disinfect otherwise. Am I wrong?

I would worry about unnecessary chemicals around my bunnies. Mine are house bunnies so I dont know what I would disinfect anyway as no hutches.

I disinfect their litter trays only. I use a cleanser/disinfectant safe one at the moment that contains no phenols.

I have Ark-klense. I bought it from a bird feeding web site, it sounds good enough to use for bunnies places.
Raine, this is not supposed to have any chemicls in it, i am not sure how it works but it is designed to be used where birds feed and its even safe if its on the food the birds eat. I dont need disinfectant for my indoor buns but i like to disinfect wee corners of sheds and hutches to help reduce odour.

I have Ark-klense. I bought it from a bird feeding web site, it sounds good enough to use for bunnies places.
Raine, this is not supposed to have any chemicls in it, i am not sure how it works but it is designed to be used where birds feed and its even safe if its on the food the birds eat. I dont need disinfectant for my indoor buns but i like to disinfect wee corners of sheds and hutches to help reduce odour.

I found this Ark-Klense which is specially for rabbits.

http://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Ark-Klens_2.aspx

I don't disinfect either. I wash out the litter trays with boiling water and then dry the worst with kitchen roll. As the water is boiling it dries fully quite quickly. The lino I do with hot (but not boiling) water and a slosh of vinegar.

I have 10 rabbits and sometimes foster. A couple of my own rabbits have chronic infections so I disinfect just to prevent any build up or spread of infection. I think it is important when you have quite a few buns, maybe not if you only have a couple. I chose F10 because it doesn't contain any dangerous chemicals and is safe even to nebulise.

i usually use white vinegar and then hot soapy water and dry with kitchen roll.

but i have used this....esp washing the lounge floor which is lino and bertie n merlin free range in there. i wash the hall floor in it too.
http://www.methodproducts.co.uk/ingredients/spray_lavender-ingredients.aspx

ive also used trigene..but my bottles purple:shock:

i have some active bleach virkon tablets....dissovlein 500ml water use in trigger spray...but ive not been brave enough..not after my recent bleach fumes incident!!:oops::lol:

Back